• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Some dimensions for milling hogs

fairdebtlawyer

Private
Minuteman
Today I was able to get steel tape together with some full-grown domestic sows kept indoors. These are a proprietary breed with as little size variation as possible and chances are they're bigger than feral hogs, being better fed and less exercised. All were one to three years old, and younger ones will generally be smaller and older ones may grow bigger in the wild. But this should give you some ideas.

Nearly all their snouts were close to 4" across, or 10cm, or 1 mil at 100m, although the snout is the part that moves around most, so lotsa luck milling one.

Shoulder width 13-14"

Ear span up to 21" fully deployed, but they flop around a lot, again you'll need luck

Ground to spine 30-36"

Belly from base of teats to spine 21-24"

Rump to forward edge of foreleg 45", maybe a little shorter on some

Rump width 14-15"

Snout to aft root of ear 14-15"

I haven't seen any feral hogs outside for a few months and might not have a chance to test these in the field for awhile. Corrections and additions are welcome.

These are about 500 pounds, being bred and fed and carefully looked-after to have lots of babies and make lots of money. Feral hogs are not going to get to that weight for some years, if ever. Even if they have the genes, their diet in the wild is likely going to be hit-or-miss. Next time we trap some feral hogs, I'll try to measure them before we euthanize them.

Hogs come in all sizes. Milling is not going to be much help.

Maybe if you just Mil Rosie O'Donnel and then decide the size of your target versus her.

The crucial measurements are approx 4.7 x3.5" x1.6" also known as 8x30. Overbill a couple clients and buy a laser :)