• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some grendal questions

GB213

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Maryland
I am wanting to do a precision AR build for target and deer hunting. Suppression is a must and I don't want the barrel longer than 20, would like 18. Lighter the better, and this is for no longer than 600 yds. I am thinking the grendal fits the bill. The two things I am still up in the air about is the barrel lenght and maker. My first go to on the barrel was Saturn. I had a 223 high power barrel of theirs which impressed me every time I pulled the trigger. Question is the price. On there page they offer button rifled barrels for 310 compared to thier 650 for cut rifled. Now I don't mind paying for good stuff, but how much better is their grendal barrel?
Any insight is appreciatted.

Re: Some grendal questions

I have a 18" barrel from CSS and it shoots great. Had to replace the factory extractor that came with the bolt, but after that I haven't had any issues.

Stick with AA, I had issues with CSS and they didn't raise a finger to help me.
AA fixed the problem.

PM or call scottmilk9 at Specialized Dynamics. He builds a helluva 6.5 and stands behind anything he puts out. You can check his rep on PredatorMasters.....

CSS=Competition Shooting Sports. Great can mean different things to different people. It's not benchrest accurate, but it is by far one of the more accurate AR-15 style rifles I've ever shot.

i agree with the above, stick to Alexander Arms. they are extremely helpful before and AFTER the purchase.

I have a Satern 24" barrel on an AA GDMR. It is fine and that AR approaches bolt action performance. A lot of material on this subject is available on 65grendel.com and Satern is highly regarded.

I will talk to him. Do you know how long of a barrel he was using?
Can anybody tell me what velocity to except from a 18" with 123grs?

My 6.5 Grendel AWS was a problem child starting out but AA was really good about staying on top of it till my issues were taken care of. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from them again.

Here are a few pictures of my Grendel. Its a 22" barrel, 1-8.5" threaded for 5/8 x 24.

Currently I'm getting velocity in the 2515 range with an extreme spread of 8 and a standard deviation of 4. My load is 30.2 Gr of 2520 with the 123 Lapua Scenar.

I'm really happy with it. It shoots great out to 950, but it seems to have a hard time with wind when its gusty.

At 1000 with a variable wind of 5-10 MPH I was dialing in 10 MOA of windage at 1K and 43 Minutes of elevation.

I have (2) new Krieger 1-8" 20" barrel blanks that have the gas port drilled in between the lands in the groove and have a barrel extension timed. I'm going to chamber them with the .264 LBC AR reamer.

The current set up I have right now is Killer! The Magpul PRS works great with the Monopod for very accurate shots out to 1165, it helps stabilize the weight of the barrel. The Rock River mount works well and I bedded the rings to get an additional 30 MOA into my scope. I'm very happy for the mount for being under $100

The Primary Weapon Systems Precision Rifle Comp works out great and keeps me on target. I can squeeze off one or two shots if I miss the first while the conditions are still the same and usually get a hit.

Let me know if your interested in getting one built up.

Mark

IMG_0891Large.jpg

IMG_0922Large.jpg

IMG_0876Large.jpg

IMG_0868Large.jpg

IMG_0868Large.jpg

IMG_0815Large.jpg