• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some guidance for a newbie?

JPT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
I am new to rifle - though I have shot competitive pistol for a few years. I live about 20 minutes from a 1200 yard range that has NRA service rifle comps, F-class and F-TR, and other comps.

How do people usually get into this? Should I just shoot small bore matches for a year or two? Would it make sense to try shooting (and getting good at) service rifle BEFORE trying out scoped matches? Or do people just go right into something like F-TR? Am I right that it makes sense to get some confidence with shorter range iron sights before dealing with optics?

I'll have to buy from scratch any equipment I need, that is, I am not starting with a 700PSS already in my safe, so that is not part of my equation.

BTW, I plan to attend an Appleseed in the spring, and this range also has a long-range clinic that I plan to attend in June.

Thanks for any constructive advice.

John

Re: Some guidance for a newbie?

My advice would be to watch a match or two of each disipline and determin what interests you. Then talk with guys that excell in that type of shooting, it is not unheard of to see a guy starting his first match on a loaner rifle.Not saying you will,but most competitors here have seen it happen.
That will give you a feel for what you will need to aquire without having to wade through a lot.
NRA Service equiptment differs from F & F/TR and none of it is Cheap

Kinda like learning to Swim, You can be told a hundered different strokes but you wont understand how any of it works until you get wet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda like learning to Swim, You can be told a hundered different strokes but you wont understand how any of it works until you get wet. </div></div>

Great advice as far as observing Jon, and the swimming analogy is a gem!!

If you have access to NRA Smallbore matches, then yes, it's a good means of entry into rifle shooting/competition. I had been a smallbore shooter from early years, and something of a competitor in my teens. Rimfire is also an excellent avenue for practice and training, with both Optical and Iron Sights. Saves ammo money, saves centerfire bore life, and can be conducted without the need for the more vast target distances.

My own current (since aroudn 1990) progression was from Handgun to Highpower National Match, then a simplified form of Known Distance Paper Target Tactical, and then F Class. Now I help in exploring a fun practice/training extension built on F Class concepts that were call FV200.

Best advice, be a spectator to get started. Ask question, but reserve them for the folks who're smiling (the other ones are likely doing it wrong...), and when they're obviously not concentrating on something significant to their own performance.

Greg

I have just started shooting Varmint Silohuette and I did what has been suggested. I went to several different types of shoots and asked some question before deciding in which type of event I wanted to participate in. You might find out if a local club has a practice day in the type of event you want to shoot and then seek advice.

The first event that I went to, because they knew that I was new they squaded me with an old timer and I had a blast that day. I also found out that many of the people I know through work and other Shooting styles that I do, shoot rifle events also.

John, let me just say that you are absolutely brilliant and you will do well at anything your try.

Why do I say that? Well, it's because you have taken the time to ASK QUESTIONS before plunging headlong. The advice given above is completely correct and on point; go to matches, aske questions (at the appropriate time,) listen to the answers and observe the goings-on.

Let me add a few more thoughts.

The first one that comes to mind is: Rome was not built in a day. (Sorry, I had a classical education.) This means that it takes time to reach a competitive level starting from scratch. Unless your finances are unlimited and you have all the time needed to devote to this pursuit, it's going to take time.

Sure, you could buy a good rifle and scope and run to a match but you will soon abandon it because you will get frustrated. I've seen it happen sadly too often.

I know everybody wants to buy something to "celebrate" the decision taken to move forward. The suggestion of a rimfire is excellent and I would add that you should buy a nice bolt action rimfire with a scope, if you are leaning towards F-class, or a semi (even an AR-15 lookalike in rimfire,) if you are thinking Service Rifle.

My thinking here is that you need to build up familiarity with the rifle and you may as well make it as close to what you will be using later as possible.

I know I will take flak for this, but unless you are set on Service Rifle, you should start with a scoped rifle right away. The riflescope is a big part of the competition rig and you need to know how to use it, aim it, control it and so on. My match .22LR wears a centerfire scope not one of those little rimfire jobbies.

Regardless of which discipline you get into, you will most probably need to handload the ammo; this is certainly true of F-Class (F-TR and F-Open)and other highpower. If you're going for Service Rifle, you will probably need to handload also, depending on your finances; match ammo is expensive.

If you are looking at F-Class, or Highpower Match or Palma, you need to learn to shoot from prone. If you are looking at Service Rifle, you need to learn to shoot from position.

Smallbore competition would be a great way to get some competition experience.

John

The shooters at Winnequah will do all that they can to help you. Earl you will come to know is a stubborn one but a wealth of knowledge. Mrs. Karen is Wise beyond her years also. Both are Ex Palma shooters and now shoot Open F-Class. When they are not running matches and I have to say is most of the time.

I will be there for the Midwest palma/F-class Matches.

The range in Lodi holds a number of events from small bore to 1200 yard matches.

I will say this I have met some of my best friends out there. Like most shooters they are more than willing to help when they can.

That being said... And as was said by many others lerning to shoot properly is a must. You can do it with a center fire rig or a rim fire.. Cost is a big thing. I have seen people being competitive with the PSS no problem but had lots of time behind the trigger before we went out. While F-Class is the fastest growing style out there right now. I have to give the others there due. Small bore, High power, Palma, Silhouette and just plain going with a good knowledgeable friend to the range will help any shooter. In time you will know the shooters that know what they are doing.

If you would prefer there are lots of NRA ranges with in 2 hours of your area. Racine County Line hold matches out to 600. Wood County has 600 yards. Here is some web pages that might help you.

http://www.wingunclub.org/

http://www.wrpa.com/
With this one go to Shooting events Than conv. Highpower this will take you to a list of matches for those shooting styles

Hope this helps.