• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some opinions please

jdemp1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2007
florida
Getting back in the game.......I have built Savage and 700 rifles 10 yrs ago and would like to do a rifle that will handle 6,5 creed and 6,5 prs. What action do you recommend that will handle both with the newer long range Berger type bullets. There has been such development since I was active my head is swimming !
Thank you for the help !! JD

I would suggest any 700 footprint action you can get prefit barrels for, such as Impact, Lone Peak, some of the newer Defiance, etc. This makes it easy to get barrels and an additional bolt in the future. The 700 footprint increases your chassis/ stock choices.

Reactions: Fig
The Zermatt(Bighorn) Origin and the ARC Nucleus both let you use savage threaded barrels but nowadays most everything has some sort of barrel nut set up, with many offering shouldered barrels too. Whats nice about the Origin and the Nucleus is you can easily swap bolt heads for that extra flexibility in your Creed + PRC (presumably thats what was intended) criteria.

Kindabitey, and spife 7980........thanks for the replies I chamber and fit my own so pre-fit not necessary. I have briefly looked at the Bighorn, and have a Stiller on hand which I have had for about 10 yrs. The problem I see from some study it the coal, as the Creed is shorter, also the prc uses Mag boltface vs creed .308 boltface. Been a long time since I did rifle work and itching to get back into it again for long range
Thanks again .............it is a beginning

Well a short action bighorn origin will get you into 6.5CM and 6.5PRC and you just need the extra bolthead. Super simple to switch between the two

Well a short action bighorn origin will get you into 6.5CM and 6.5PRC and you just need the extra bolthead. Super simple to switch between the two
Thanks, that one is on my list to look over...................all very good answers lot of good info from the members !!!

The Zermatt(Bighorn) Origin and the ARC Nucleus both let you use savage threaded barrels but nowadays most everything has some sort of barrel nut set up, with many offering shouldered barrels too. Whats nice about the Origin and the Nucleus is you can easily swap bolt heads for that extra flexibility in your Creed + PRC (presumably thats what was intended) criteria.

This...

Proof makes shouldered prefits for the TL3 and you can get a special recoil lug to use them with the Origin.

I run the ARC actions and love them.

Go long action if you are gonna run a PRC with long bullets. If you reload, look at the 6.5 Sherman Short mags

The origin and nucleus really are a nice route to go.
Multiple bolt heads and easy access to barrels.
My nuke has had a 260 and 7 saum barrel.

Reactions: hereinaz
This...

Proof makes shouldered prefits for the TL3 and you can get a special recoil lug to use them with the Origin.

I run the ARC actions and love them.

Go long action if you are gonna run a PRC with long bullets. If you reload, look at the 6.5 Sherman Short mags
I'll look at that Sherman too.................thanks

The origin and nucleus really are a nice route to go.
Multiple bolt heads and easy access to barrels.
My nuke has had a 260 and 7 saum barrel.

I have a .223 ai, 6cm, 6xc, 7ss, and various Savage take off barrels that are all headspaced on my Nuke and Archimedes. I red loctited and put witness marks on the barrel nut barrels (gonna drill and tap in some set screws as well). It is super easy to swap barrels. I put the barrel in a vice and use the ARC action tool with a torque wrench. Takes longer to swap the bolt heads if that is necessary. Its a pain in the neck on the Archimedes, so the Nuke sees more changes with bolt heads. Return to zero is surprisingly good to most people.

Reactions: Steel head