• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some questions on CMP Remington 40X rifles...

jtb33

Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
PHX, AZ - USA
So I purchased a couple from the CMP with the intent to set them up as trainers for my Remington 700's. CMP already confirmed my order and I got the shipping notice. Anyway, I ordered these:

<span style="font-style: italic">Remington 40X – Standard Barrel. Barreled Action only. Contains receiver, barrel, bolt assy, trigger group. Does not contain sights, stock, trigger guard, stock bolts, or any other parts. USMC marked.</span>

and

<span style="font-style: italic">Remington 40X - Heavy Barrel - stripped barreled receiver only (No other parts, just receiver and barrel, no trigger group, no bolt)</span>

I'd like to set up the HB rifle for me and the other for my son and/or my wife to use. I'm planning to buy a PTG bolt for the HB since it doesn't come with one, but I'm not exactly clear on the differences between the 40X rifles I bought and the 40XB versions. Can the ones I purchased use any Remington 700 components (minus bolt and barrel, of course)?
Can I use an AICS Rem 700 SA stock for them?
How about an HS Precision Remington 700 SA stock?
Will a factory Remington 700 PSS trigger work?
Will a Remington 700 SA scope base work on these?

Thanks.

Re: Some questions on CMP Remington 40X rifles...

Will try to answer some of your questions, but by no means am I an expert. There are a couple experts on here, and after lots of research, maybe you can confirm my findings (or find the experts
smile.gif

I have a newer 40x (an XRBR) that is built off the 700 action. It will accept anything remington for the standard rem 700 action, including but not limited to the triggers, scope mounts, stocks, etc, etc. THe trigger must be the bottom bolt release style because you cant have the side bolt release mod done due to the lugs locking in the rear of the action.

Below link is an old pic of my rifle, along with a write up that I never finished on different ammo, that dropped right into my AICS before I put it on my 308. the 22 rifle is now in a MC A5.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2478453&Board=30

Now, as I understand it, the early CMP rifles, were of the 721 action, not the rem 700, I think the early 4 digit serial numbers up to about 20,xxx. The only difference That I have been able to figure is the safety on the 2 actions. The 700 has a notch on the rear tang of the action for the safety. I believe the USMC 40x you got will be the early type which portrudes around the tang, but I dont know for sure. The 40x HB should be the 700 type and you will be good to go.

I also ordered the USMC marked 40x barreled action, and if it is the early type, I will mill out the slot to match my other rem 40x that is a later model so the standard triggers will work. Then it should drop right in to any rem 700 stock.

Make sure you post pics when your rifles arrive, other wise it didnt happen
smile.gif

Also, when buying a base, get as much of a angled one as you can. I had a 20moa base on my 40x, but replaced it with a 30moa (was only able to dial 30 moa ele. now I can dial 40 moa on my conquest. with the NF i had on it, I had near 100 moa. Thats how I reached 400 yards, but I sold that and am back to the conquest) as soon as you see how accurate these things are, you will want to strech its legs. Last month, I was ringing steel at 400 yards consistantly. I am doing a write up for that as we speak. 73.5 moa and 13 for wind.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Regards,
DT

Some interesting links:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2534053

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2548508

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2474186

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1480202

VERY good info - thank you. According to FedEx, both should arrive today, so if I have time, I'll get some pictures of them tonight or tomorrow. I'm glad I was able to pick these up before the CMP sold out.

Appears I'll need to buy a PTG bolt for one of them, however, in addition to triggers and stocks.

Ok, so I received them. Overall, they both look pretty good. Couple things to note:

The included trigger had the bottom 1/4 of it broken off. From the looks of it, it happened a LONG time ago. Not sure if I should figure out a way to replace just the trigger (doesn't look like it can take a trigger shoe), or if I may as well replace the whole trigger mechanism with a Timney or Jewell.

The 40-XB is H-E-A-V-Y; wow.

Called PT&G - they aren't making any more 40X bolts until Summer 2012 - argh!

The STD profile barrel has the rear sight attachment points, front sight base and one base in the middle - not sure what that middle one was used for. Anyone? Also, any screws to fill in those holes? I don't plan on using irons on either of these rifles.

In the Std profile receiver is what looks like a bullet guide attached to the bottom (not sure what to call it) that is held on with a single screw on the bottom of the receiver. Looks like it's made to set a .22LR cartridge on so that the bolt will guide it into the chamber. I need to buy another one for my other 40XB - anyone know what that part is called, or where to get one?

Then, onto the trigger. Looks like the two rifles use a different safety system. The XB receiver has a notch in it to accept what looks to be like a standard Remington 700 safety. The 40-X has one that bows out and come up the side. Perhaps a 722 profile? However many triggers (with safety) advertise that they will work on Remington 700's and 40-X's. Is the picture just misleading?

I have two of the older 722 40x rimfires and both of them are wearing Jewell triggers. I had to put a slight bend in the safety lever to clear the tang, and it works like a champ. I did have to remove a little material out of HS Precision stock for the safety to clear. I was not a big deal- just a few minutes with a file. Good luck and have fun with your new rifles.

pics...ha

Kind of like I tried to explain, the rem 700 action (the XB) has the notch and normal safety. The 722 (X) has the safety that goes arond.

The middle sight mount is for the unertl type scope mounting. Look at this fine rifle for example:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2679151#Post2679151

Another difference you wont notice due to not having both of them, is the bolt handle. The 40x will be a straight handle, as the 40xb should be slightly swept back. Hard to explain w/o pics.

As to the broke trigger, I would either find a used trigger on the hide classifieds, they come up all the time, or buy a timney.

The bullet guide into the chamber you mentioned, even tho I dont know the part number, you might be able to get some info here:
http://team40x.com/articles/read.html

Sorry I dont know bout the scres for the sights, even tho I would venture a guess they are 6-48 screws.

Regards,
DT

Alright, pics.

I already stripped down my Remington 40-X and 40-XB down to the barreled receivers to give them a good cleaning myself. I just bedded a Badger Ord 20 MOA rail on the 40-XB - fits well (now). The top one is the 40-X that I'd like to get refinished.

IMG_2444-1280.jpg

IMG_2445-1280.jpg

IMG_2446-1280.jpg

IMG_2447-1280.jpg

IMG_2448-1280.jpg

IMG_2449-1280.jpg

JTB33

How are you coming along with this project. I am about to order one of the USMC barreled actions my self with the same end in mind ( with out bolt).

Hope you don mind me drafting on you.

FOX 84

No problem at all. I'll post some updated pics when I get home.

Definitely buy one before they are gone if you want something close to a Remington 700 for a trainer. I think these will become *very* valuable and rare once CMP sells out. I bought mine because I wanted a .22LR rifle to be pretty much a 1:1 of my Remington 700 in 308. End result thus far is that I have a 40-XB in an AICS stock. I just wish it could be modified into a repeater; maybe down the road. Still deciding if I have the desire to get it threaded. Part of me doesn't want to mess with it, since it's a classic, but part of me wants it to be something I'm not afraid to use.

The biggest downside of getting the barreled action is finding a bolt. PT&G won't make any more until Summer 2012, so unless you find someone willing to part with one... not sure what can be done. I still have one action without a bolt - it'll probably be Summer 2012 until I get it, but at least I have a couple I can use until then.

I bought one of the USMC ones with all the parts (minus stock only) as well, so luckily I got a bolt with one of mine from CMP. The bolt works equally well in both actions - headspace is fine. The other bolt I have coming to me is a PT&G that I should get this week. Unfortunately, they are sold out, direct.

Remington has the remainder of the parts you will need (minus bolt), but some of them are restricted, so they will only sell to an FFL. I found a place to get them that will ship direct to me: http://www.outbackgunparts.com/

Not cheap, but fair-priced.

For my barreled action on the non-USMC one (it's the heavy barreled "XB"), I used a stock Remington 700 trigger - well, it's tuned a bit to lighten the pull, and stock pins. I used a stock Remington 700 bolt stop release spring. From Out Back Gun Parts, I bought:

40X Rimfire bolt stop
40X Ejector
40X Ejector screw

Total for those three was about $63 shipped since the bolt stop was on sale.

The XB barreled action had some surface rust on it (can barely see it pictured), but I was able to clean it up pretty easily with some Hoppe's No 9 and a brass brush. 0000 steel wool (used moderately) would also work and won't remove the underlying bluing. Mine cleaned up well. I added a Badger Ord 20MOA rail to it. Fit was so bad, that I had to bed it, which isn't unusual for a Remington bolt action, but that addressed the problem.

The standard profile barreled action is the USMC marked one and didn't have any rust on it, but was much more used and scratched. I may send it off to have it stripped and re-finished. My third 40-X is another heavy barrel.

It's also worth mentioning that the recoil lugs on these - at least the examples I have - are a bit thicker and wider than my stock Remington 700 log on my 308's. They required the channel to be opened up a tiny bit in my H-S Precision stock.

Thanks! Like everyone else on here on the hide I can build a M700 trainer up from a barreled action and parts I have laying around. Will just have to wait it out on the bolt. No problem. Just kicking myself for being so far behind the curve.

Thanks for letting me in.

fox84

It seems a good idea, I tried. The common-platform 22lr trainer is lost on me. I shoot the AICS stock on 3 700-ish rifles. The .22lr equivelent is a not right in bolt feel, lack of mag, and most importantly; recoil and result. IMO the more you make it the same, the less benefit to CF due to trained memory.

If you want to dedicate to rimfire shooting and use what you already know; yes. If you want to use common-platform rimfire for a edge on centerfire; I am of the opinion it is of no gain or perhaps a step backwards...Unless you run around with it for shorter range off-hand as a dead-weight .22.

my opinion

Google "Outback Gun Parts" they are in Indiana across the river from Louisville KY. They have many of the parts you seek. The # is always busy. Keep calling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems a good idea, I tried. The common-platform 22lr trainer is lost on me. I shoot the AICS stock on 3 700-ish rifles. The .22lr equivelent is a not right in bolt feel, lack of mag, and most importantly; recoil and result. IMO the more you make it the same, the less benefit to CF due to trained memory.

If you want to dedicate to rimfire shooting and use what you already know; yes. If you want to use common-platform rimfire for a edge on centerfire; I am of the opinion it is of no gain or perhaps a step backwards...Unless you run around with it for shorter range off-hand as a dead-weight .22.

my opinion </div></div>

That's great and all, but doesn't really add anything to the topic of discussion. Not debating the pros and cons of having a .22LR trainer - only Q&A on building up a Remington 40X, but thanks.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bosshoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Google "Outback Gun Parts" they are in Indiana across the river from Louisville KY. They have many of the parts you seek. The # is always busy. Keep calling. </div></div>

Yep - look up about 3 posts and you will see that I posted their link along with the parts I bought from them. The only main part they don't have are the RF bolts.

Here's one of them. The one in front in the black AICS is a 40-X HB. The bolt is a 40-X bolt, but will be replaced by the PT&G bolt that should arrive this week.

Both Remington's are waiting for the SS 5-20X50HD scopes to arrive as well.

IMG_2458-1280.jpg

IMG_2459-1280.jpg

IMG_2460-1280.jpg

IMG_2461-1280.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems a good idea, I tried. The common-platform 22lr trainer is lost on me. I shoot the AICS stock on 3 700-ish rifles. The .22lr equivelent is a not right in bolt feel, lack of mag, and most importantly; recoil and result. IMO the more you make it the same, the less benefit to CF due to trained memory.

my opinion </div></div>

That's great and all, but doesn't really add anything to the topic of discussion. Not debating the pros and cons of having a .22LR trainer - only Q&A on building up a Remington 40X, but thanks.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I know, my sleeve comments are just my opinion. Very cool pic. Throw a optic on it and your set to use it.