• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Some questions

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
I have a 700 police and would like to thread the barrel for a suppressor. My questions are :
1. If i thread the end to the same length will I affect the crown in a any negative aspects.
2. Is there anything more to consider then cutting the proper threads and size and keeping them concentric to the bore within .0001 or 2.
3.I have an homemade wrench from John Hinnat ill. guide to chambering so if the action comes off will ther be any problems when I put the barrel back on or is there a way to machine it with the action on.
4. I believe I am capable of cutting the threads on a lathe myself as I have machined many parts.

Re: Some questions

Once dialed in, recrown. Thread 5/8 x 24 x .600" long and use a class 2A Gauge. You'll be fine. Leave the receiver and barrel together, remove the bolt though.