• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Some range time...

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    Spent yesterday afternoon with the chrono on the twins. Figured I'd share the results.

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Those 1" squares look pretty big through the nightforce!
    IMG_2063.jpg

100yds view.
    IMG_2065.jpg

Rifles:
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 - 20" 1-12 twist -- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223 - 20" 1-9 twist -- Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 LR

Range Conditions:
    Temp - 70f
    Wind - 30mph
    Angle - 6 Oclock
    Elevation - 1250

-------------------------------------------------------------
    168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
    43.5gr Varget
    CCI BR2
    LC LR 07
    O.A.L. - 2.845
    ogive. - 2.190

5-shot Group (fps)
    ES - 36
    AV - 2535fps

IMG_2068.jpg

168gr SMK
    43.5gr Varget
    CCI BR2
    LC LR 07
    O.A.L. - 2.788
    ogive. - 2.198

5-shot Group (fps)
    ES - 22
    AV - 2565

IMG_2069.jpg

168gr SMK
    42gr Varget
    CCI BR2
    LC LR 07
    O.A.L. - 2.788
    ogive. - 2.198

5-shot Group (fps)
    ES - 46
    AV - 2470

IMG_2070.jpg

175gr SMK
    43.5gr Varget
    CCI BR2
    LC LR 07
    O.A.L. - 2.788
    ogive. - 2.198

5-shot Group (fps)
    ES - 33
    AV - 2553

IMG_2072.jpg

175gr SMK
    42gr Varget
    CCI BR2
    LC LR 07
    O.A.L. - 2.788
    ogive. - 2.198

5-shot Group (fps)
    ES - 25
    AV - 2445

IMG_2071.jpg

I wont even bother listing the chrono data for the .223... since I can't get enough varget into these little cases to get things going fast enough. Here are some groups for the hell of it.

group 1

group 2

group 3

group 4

group 5

Re: Some range time...

good shooting there but if i may...i think you could possibly tighten things up with a smidge more speed. i am not a compressed load speed freak but your chrony data is slow for those loads. maybe get into the 2600 range.fwiw

040.jpg

try 43.3 varget. here is a 5 shot group shot today @100yd measuring .400

mv average was 2645

175smk
    fgmm 1f brass
    43.3gr varg
    wlr

700pss

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good shooting there but if i may...i think you could possibly tighten things up with a smidge more speed. i am not a compressed load speed freak but your chrony data is slow for those loads. maybe get into the 2600 range.fwiw </div></div>

I tried 44gr of varget and my groups started opening up. Do I dare put more than 44gr in that LC LR brass? I'm seeing no pressure signs at 44... but the brass is thick and I am not showing any signs in the primer either.

I will add my rifle specs and field conditions to the original post at the top.

20" 1-12 twist, stock sps tactical barrel.

Wind was blowing 30-35mph from 6 O'Clock. temp - 70f

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dgunn what was your COAL? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good shooting there but if i may...i think you could possibly tighten things up with a smidge more speed. i am not a compressed load speed freak but your chrony data is slow for those loads. maybe get into the 2600 range.fwiw </div></div>

I tried 44gr of varget and my groups started opening up. Do I dare put more than 44gr in that LC LR brass? I'm seeing no pressure signs at 44... but the brass is thick and I am not showing any signs in the primer either.

I will add my rifle specs and field conditions to the original post at the top.

20" 1-12 twist, stock sps tactical barrel.

Wind was blowing 30-35mph from 6 O'Clock. temp - 70f </div></div>

ahhh...the 20 incher has you slowed up alittle. i was wondering considering i am usually getting 2690ish from 43.5 varget. i don't know on going much above 44gr as i am not a big fan of beating the hell out of stuff for 50fps. maybe a primer like the m-34 would help. i use them with lc match brass and varget. same load as posted is 43gr even with m-34 primer.

I'm using 44.4gr Varget behind 175 SMK and getting speeds over 2750fps. That's just where it seems to like things for accuracy in my rifle.

What rifle do you have john?

I was really hoping to get 2750 with 175's but it looks like I'd have to compress the load to get that kind of velocity with these cases and varget.

If you're looking for speed, check out this new stuff when it comes out. Alliant Power-Pro Medium Rifle. Their ballistics state 2720 fps, out of a 24 inch barrel with a 175 gr SMK. A 26" barrel should give you another 100 fps.

Don't feel bad about your velocities. In my 20" LTR (.308) I'm getting 2625 fps using;

46.0gr Varget
    168 SMK @ ~2.835" OAL
    CCI BR2
    Win brass

At 46.5 groups opened up and at 47.0 I experienced sticky bolt lift and only moderately higher velocities.

I have a custom Remington 700 with a 25" Bartlein 5R barrel. You are going to get a bit more velocity out of a custom barrel. A factory Remington barrel will be a fair bit slower. I would expect at least 2680 out of this load from a factory barrel though. As always, work up your loads with caution.

Well, based on an average of 2550, I'll be able to take a 175SMK to 1000yds with 41 minutes in the gun. Would you say that is acceptable until I get a new barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't feel bad about your velocities. In my 20" LTR (.308) I'm getting 2625 fps using;

46.0gr Varget
    168 SMK @ ~2.835" OAL
    CCI BR2
    Win brass

At 46.5 groups opened up and at 47.0 I experienced sticky bolt lift and only moderately higher velocities. </div></div>

This just goes to show the differences in the same type of gun.

In my LTR I use 45.5 grains of Varget with 168 AMAX's and I am getting 2730 fps. I can get a consistent 1/2" to 3/4" any more or less Varget and I open up.

I was at the range with my LTR Saturday. I was shooting 175 SMK moly's at an average of 2685 out of FGMM brass with 44.5gr of H4895. Does that sound about right? Accuracy was good, holding about .5 moa 5 shot groups at 100.

Shooting at the good old Huron gunrange I see. How do you like the Hogue stocks that come with the sps tacticals.

I have the 223 tactical with a mark 4 6.5-20x50 mildot Mark 4 rings and bases with a H-s Precsion Police stock and a reworked trigger.

orkan - I like that bench top. Did you make it? If yes, got any pointers for others who might want to make one like it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, based on an average of 2550, I'll be able to take a 175SMK to 1000yds with 41 minutes in the gun. Would you say that is acceptable until I get a new barrel?

</div></div>

Yes, that is more than acceptable. You really don't need more than 20 inches of barrel in a 308 to get out to the 1k mark. Practice as much as you can with the barrel you have, as there is no substitute for trigger time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting at the good old Huron gunrange I see. How do you like the Hogue stocks that come with the sps tacticals.
    </div></div>
    Yup, huron is right! You from around here?

I don't like those hogue stocks at all. The forend moves around when I lay it on the bags or the bipod, and comes in contact with the barrel. Not to mention, I can FEEL it flex when I steer the rifle. The gun shoots... but I feel very confident that it will shoot BETTER when I get a real stock on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">orkan - I like that bench top. Did you make it? If yes, got any pointers for others who might want to make one like it? </div></div>

I didn't make it, but I know how it was made. Make wood concrete form about 4" or thicker. Mix up some concrete and pour it in. Grade it off nice and smooth and let it setup. Then, concrete some steel tubing vertical in the ground and level them off. Weld some pegs on the top of them just long enough to get into the concrete. Drill some matching holes in the concrete and set it on there.
    smile.gif
    Done.

Well I went back to the range with the chrono again today.

Shot 8 more five shot groups. I tried setting the 168's out farther with a 2.250 to ogive instead of 2.190. They reacted badly.

Out of all the groups, there is no doubt that 42gr shoots better than anything else I've found thus far with both 175SMK and 168SMK. The only down side is that I'm averaging 2480fps with the 42gr varget load. Its what the gun likes apparently. Veeeeery slow. I was really hoping to be above 2600... and even closer to 2700 if possible. Doesn't look like I'm going to get the job done with this setup. I'll probably be around 2450fps with the suppressor on.

Quite the learning experience.