• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Someone help my fear... modding a 40X

RicosRevenge

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
D/FW
Man, I hate to leave ANYTHING alone... guns, cars, boats, etc... I have to have modifications/customizations.

My 40XB sits in an AICS but no alteration of the metal work so it can go back to original. The thing shoots well; but I am dying to put a threaded Shillen barrel on (they are local) and have the action trued, etc... but I can't stand the thought of messing with an original rifle that is older than me(but in much better shape, LOL!).

The thought is to have a shorter barrel (22") and threaded and hope to actually gain accuracy as I see many top tourney guys shooting this combo.

I have no plans of ever letting this go. Talk me into/out of it!!

~ Rico

2723164006_large.jpg

2723164007_large.jpg

2723164008_large.jpg

Re: Someone help my fear... modding a 40X

My opinion:

<span style="font-size: 20pt">HE!! NO!</span>

Don't ruin a classic and valuable rifle. If you want a spiffy AM threaded barrel and other stuff for premium accuracy, there are plenty of other actions to go ruin, an old 40XB is inherently valuable.

Sell your original in its true config (to me :D), and take the money and go buy a Remington Custom Shop 40X or some other action that doesn't have historical value. You seem to not be in a financial bind with the gun fund, so pick up something meant to be modded.

There are plenty of brand new things to play with, but <span style="text-decoration: underline">don't cut the fenders on that 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 to install Buick vents or ricer ground effects or a giant spoiler, etc.</span>

DONT BE THIS LOSER:

6535d1110256200-pics-spoiler-delete-ricer.jpg

I have GOT to agree with KSwift...please don't do anything you or I will regret the next day.

It shoots already, and you want to screw it up?
If it isn't broke it keep until it is?

You cannot "un-ring" that bell.

My vote is that you sleep on it... for a long time
grin.gif

Well if for some reason the receiver didn't need anything removed off the front and lugs were good you could always return it to original condition!!!

I say BUTCHER that pig and make it what you want!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

That way mine might have more value!
wink.gif

....or you could scrounge up a barreled action or action and build another to satisfy your lusting.lol

I don't think that truing an action is the same as an alteration; and as long as the original threaded barrel can be put back on, there's no real issue.

Greg

if the action needs to be trued or lugs lapped then the original barrel will not just screw back on. I say re-barrel but do not touch the action or bolt. I bet they are GTG anyway. When you are ready then just screw the original barrel back on.

You guys are killing me!! Funny stuff! I had never jacked with a barrel (outside an AR) and honestly had no idea how it was done on a Remmy. My main concern was jacking up the original barrel. If I can replace the original barrel; everything would be hunky-dory (What the HELL is "Hunky-Dory?")

I guess I need to call Shilen and see what they say about the typical "competition" configuration (they generally don't do the re-barrel(s) themselves).

Gosh that's a purdy rifle.

I'm just sayin'...

(Whatever the he11 THAT means
laugh.gif
)

MOD IT

Do what makes you happy. Nostalgia and "historical value" doesnt mean piss to me.

You've got the option to turn a rifle into a even more awesome rifle suited to what you want.

Sure, you can keep it original, and that may make some people very happy. The fact of the matter is, its your gun, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.

Besides, being "a classic" and "valuable" don't mean squat once you're dead. Do what makes *YOU* happy, because in the end, none of this really matters

Its a tool, treat it as such. Besides when you pass it on to your children, I very much doubt he's going to be thinking "gee this is an amazing piece of history" as he tosses it in the back of his truck after hitting the range. Use it, abuse it, and have fun with it. Or you could keep it in "mint historical condition" so your family can auction it off for a pretty penny at an estate sale...

Sorry for the long winded post about this, but for some reason the idea of range-queen firearms just pisses me off. I always look at them like there is something wrong. (kinda the same feeling when you go to a couples house, who never had children. Nothings broke/stained/abused, and it seems like there is a gigantic void. thats the same feeling I get from range queen guns)

^^^ LOL! Valid points!

Honestly, the reason I feel the need to rebarrel is simply for a suppressor. If I can keep the original barrel in good shape "just in case," I believe it is a done deal.

Modify it. Its your rifle, change it as you see fit. You're not bubba sporterizing a NM 03 Springfield, its a high end target rifle being used as a high end target rifle. Unless it is a very good condition complete USMC marked example I doubt the value will be effected much. I have two basic 40XB HBs and one will be modified and one left alone.

I love them in stock configuration. If I had one I would leave it as is and buy another to screw with but then the one I left alone would just sit in the safe and eventually get sold or modified just like the other. So in the long run it's better to just accept that temptation will befall you and you'll probably do the mods anyways, so why not now? Seems like a simple answer to me, make it what you want it to be and don't look back. The ammount of rifles out there are plenty, but how many are made to suit you perfectly? To me sentimental value means a shit ton more than dollar value. My ~$1200 20 gauge (limited production 11-87) sitting in the safe right now doesn't mean much to most people, and wouldn't be too much of an investment for a collector to make, but it's my gun. My very first gun ever, and it was given to me by my dad. My favorite person in the world, when I was just 11 years old. I would rather die than see it leave my possession.

But then again i'm a bit more emotional then most
wink.gif

TITS (TerrorInTheShadows) first off... LMAO!!!

Secondly, great point, the heck with it. That is a helluva topic you brought up, though. Might have to start that - "What guns do you own that have a story that makes them priceless?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact of the matter is, its your gun, and you can do whatever the hell you want with it.</div></div>

This gets my vote.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TITS (TerrorInTheShadows) first off... LMAO!!! </div></div>
You like that?
smile.gif
I have the proud honor to say yes, I did plan my screen name out SPECIFICALLY to make the aronym "TITS"
wink.gif

Glad I could supply you with a laugh
laugh.gif

I had no issues making modifications to mine. I bought it as a barreled action only and the finish was pretty worn. No iron sights or bases came with it either. I had the barrel cut and threaded and it did have a slight negative effect on accuracy. If you plan to cut the barrel have it slugged by someone who knows what they are doing first, I didn't. Mine still shoots well but not quite like it did. I will rebarrel it one of these days as I'd like the same length and profile as my .308.
P1020880.jpg

It's between quality paint jobs at the moment. What's on there now was a quick slap on to cover up a crap job that I did on it initially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My opinion:

<span style="font-size: 20pt">HE!! NO!</span>

Don't ruin a classic and valuable rifle. If you want a spiffy AM threaded barrel and other stuff for premium accuracy, there are plenty of other actions to go ruin, an old 40XB is inherently valuable.

Sell your original in its true config (to me :D), and take the money and go buy a Remington Custom Shop 40X or some other action that doesn't have historical value. You seem to not be in a financial bind with the gun fund, so pick up something meant to be modded.

There are plenty of brand new things to play with, but <span style="text-decoration: underline">don't cut the fenders on that 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 to install Buick vents or ricer ground effects or a giant spoiler, etc.</span>

DONT BE THIS LOSER:

6535d1110256200-pics-spoiler-delete-ricer.jpg
</div></div>

He actually IMPROVED that worthless junk....somebody gets to laugh at it

Put the 40x back into the original stock, buy a donor action for $375 from Willsnipe, have it trued, add your barrel of choice, and drop it into the AICS.

Best of both...

Phylodog,

Just wondering where you came across the bolt for your rig, looks a little different than the PTG bolts that are fairly available. Good looking stick by the way, good on ya for the paint job. Not too shabby for a slap on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duckysattva</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Phylodog,

Just wondering where you came across the bolt for your rig, looks a little different than the PTG bolts that are fairly available. Good looking stick by the way, good on ya for the paint job. Not too shabby for a slap on. </div></div>

It's a factory bolt that I had a knob installed on. The firing pin was broken off at one point and a new one brazed back on so I wasn't too worried about the value of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the 40x back into the original stock, <span style="color: #FF0000">buy a donor action for $375 from Willsnipe</span>, have it trued, add your barrel of choice, and drop it into the AICS.

Best of both...</div></div>
I PM'd him and he denied your claims of selling 40x actions. He says he does sell 700 parts but nothing 40x...

-Dylan

Last I checked the CMP still had barreled receivers on hand. You'd have to obtain a bolt for it but if they're available that would allow you to keep yours stock.

Factory eh? I got ya. I thought it must have been an aftermarket as you had mentioned that you bought the barreled receiver through the CMP.

No, I bought my barreled action & bolt from a member of rimfire central who responded to a wtb ad I posted over there. I didn't have the money to jump when the CMP had the last batch available or I'd have bought one to keep in stock trim.

The CMP says they will be releasing another, possibly the final, batch of 40X and other rifles soon (sometime this year)......they said there were about 900 Remington 40X rifles.

I finally cut my CMP 40X to 22" after accepting the fact that I bought it to build a scoped trainer, I was never going to run iron sights, and it was a pain in the ass to cart around a 28" barrel. My biggest concern was that I was going to cut off too much barrel and ruin accuracy. I had Randy @ R&D make the cut and have never looked back.

Nor-Cal2010003.jpg

Nor-Cal2010007.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Randy @ R&D make the cut and have never looked back.
</div></div>

Did Randy try to talk you out of it? I thought I was going to have to beg him to install a bolt knob on mine, he tried to convince me not to do it, lol.

Ours looked pretty similar before I painted mine.
IMG_4084.jpg

Philly, nice looking 40x. It looks like you have your barrel threaded too? Did you notice any accuracy decrease since doing that? I have read and talked to a few different rimfire smiths and they all said not to thread the barrel.

Threading the barrel shouldn't hurt accuracy at all if done properly. The POI might shift a little but nothing should go wrong unless the 'smith does the job wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ITGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Philly, nice looking 40x. It looks like you have your barrel threaded too? Did you notice any accuracy decrease since doing that? I have read and talked to a few different rimfire smiths and they all said not to thread the barrel. </div></div>

I saw a slight negative effect when I had the barrel cut and threaded but I attributed it to the cutting rather than threading. I'm not sure how threading would have a negative impact provided it is done correctly but I'm no smith or engineer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally cut my CMP 40X to 22" after accepting the fact that I bought it to build a scoped trainer, I was never going to run iron sights, and it was a pain in/Nor-Cal2010003.jpg[/IMG] the ass to cart around a 28" barrel. </div></div>

Even if you cut the barrel you can still run an extended sight radius for iron sights by fitting the rifle with a bloop tube. There are several world class shooters that run barrels just over 16" with very long bloop tubes for a specific weight balance and shorter barrel time.

The Picture...does no justice!

very nice setup you have, I was shooting and BS'ing with you a few days ago at Elm Fork
smile.gif

A flawless finish with original sights and pristine wood would be a crime to chop and paint.

A well used barreled action that needs TLC can do good by a trip to the shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timbertoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Picture...does no justice!

very nice setup you have, I was shooting and BS'ing with you a few days ago at Elm Fork
smile.gif
</div></div>
Thank you kind sir! I enjoyed the heck out of that talk. I even snuck in a couple support side standing shots just to try it with my 10/22 Sunday because of that talk. Man, I SUCK shooting like that! LOL!!

I look forward to seeing you again.

~ Rico

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Randy @ R&D make the cut and have never looked back.
</div></div>

Did Randy try to talk you out of it? I thought I was going to have to beg him to install a bolt knob on mine, he tried to convince me not to do it, lol.
</div></div>

No, I decided to keep the bolt as is for the time being. I would like to cerakote the works eventually.

Three words for you guys........"Lilja tight bore"
May as well go all out and do it right if you are changing their specs.

....I would if I had the dough. Sold my trainer, kept my sillywet Annie.

If your barreled action is in really sweet shape (High nra 90s), why dont you look into what you can get for it "as is" and compare the cost of a cmp action, the work and barrel you want on your set up. Possibly selling the set up you have may get you closer with less out of pocket cost. If the numbers dont work for you then chop it up and do what you want with it. Run of the mill CMP 40x's are nice, but not all that collectable. They are nice shooters, but they are not in the league of certain models of the Winchester 52 line that are true collectables.
My 40x's are stock and I am leaving them that way. I personally appreciate them for what they are. They are like any hand made piece, some are def better than others. I have traded them off many times over until I found the ones that are tight cloverleaf hole shooting keepers, which, by the way, all 40x's are not. One thing is for sure, the more they get butched up and modified, the closer the stock ones come to actually being a true collectable in the future.

I vote that you modify your Rem40X however you want it. I have two Rem40X HBs and have no problem modifying either one.

Very nice looking rig!

I think you should modify it to suit your needs and screw what anyone else thinks or says. I just pulled the barrel of mine last week and cut it to 22".And I was at the CPM north store today and there were 10 or more barrelled receivers on the rack for sale.

This ain't Antiques Road Show......STOCK SUCKS! Modify it to what YOU want.

From a collector's standpoint, once you go modding and altering any firearm from it's original configuration you lose value instantly. The added parts or modifications NEVER hold their value like the original parts.

Rooster so lets be clear on this if he was to take that 1950's vintage barrel off and replace it with a custom lilja or hart barrel it would depreciate the value. Thats fucking retarted.

^^^ This is an old thread, my "40X-foo" has come a LOOOOOONG way since this was started! LOL!

But killahog, I agree with you. When you can re-bolt the original equipment back on if you "need" to value it... how has it depreciated the value? Barrels swap both ways and stocks are 2 bolts. Now... cutting the original barrel or modding the stock is another story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I hate to leave ANYTHING alone... guns, cars, boats, etc... I have to have modifications/customizations.

My 40XB sits in an AICS but no alteration of the metal work so it can go back to original. The thing shoots well; but I am dying to put a threaded Shillen barrel on (they are local) and have the action trued, etc... but I can't stand the thought of messing with an original rifle that is older than me(but in much better shape, LOL!).

The thought is to have a shorter barrel (22") and threaded and hope to actually gain accuracy as I see many top tourney guys shooting this combo.

I have no plans of ever letting this go. Talk me into/out of it!!

~ Rico

</div></div>

Rico, it's only a gun, it's not a historic piece of art or a national treasure. Do what ever you want to the gun to make it suit your needs. Save all of the parts so you can put it back to original condition later if you ever decide to.

Make sure to post some pictures of it when you get it finished.