• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

someone school me on gps's

brutus1776

Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
backcountry, TN line
my wife is bugging me... she wants a gps. so being the cheap ass resourceful guy that i am, i want to see if i can kill two birds with one stone. she gets a gps and on the weekends i can use it to range stuff. last year she wanted a tripod for camera work so i made sure to get a model i can use for spotting scope, etc.

what sort of unit to i need to get in order to range targets with and what am i looking to spend? and can a woman operate this thing with relative ease and keep it in the car???
any info is appreciated.

Re: someone school me on gps's

she wants a gps for the .....car? You want a range finder, like a laser range finder? Sounds like completely different items to me. I've never heard of using a gps for ranging targets, unless you are on a golf course. Garmins for the car are dirt cheap now days. Stop being such a cheap ass and just get her the gps she wants.
smile.gif

...Because then you can get the LRF that you want for the targets
smile.gif
. See how that works, or at least it does in my house. Hey honey, look what I got you (as she is focused soley on that) you smuggle in what you got.
Chad

damn. i was under the impression that these new units are so good that you can measure the distance between two points on the screen some how.
oh well....
tom tom here we come

There was a guy on another forum using a Garmin 60Csx and was talking about how he pointed at something he had shot and it basically gave him distance and directions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a guy on another forum using a Garmin 60Csx and was talking about how he pointed at something he had shot and it basically gave him distance and directions.</div></div> 60CSx will give you an azimuth, but not the distance less he marks his POO as a waypoint and the POI as a waypoint.

To answer the OP's question though...my Garmin Nuvi (car GPS) is considerably more user friendly than my handheld for work. ...but I'd venture to say also that <span style="text-decoration: underline">most</span> car GPS units will lack the features you will need/want in the field

Good news is, car & handheld GPS units have gotten considerably cheaper than what they use to be.