• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Someone talk me out of buying an Origin

dster3

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2022
Southwest
Looking into getting my first custom action, looking at the origin so I can easily swap between a 6.5 creed and PRC, but might as well get a 223 trainer and ARC bolt while at it.

Seems like availability of prefits is there. Is there anyone else I should look at before pulling the trigger?

Is spending another $400 worth getting something else?

Bully my thoughts

Have one in long action. Impressive performance and cost effective. No real downside. You can put the money saved toward a nice trigger, bipod, barrel, etc.

Reactions: dster3
Man I love my origin. I have several much more expensive actions and I've bought and sold several more but I'm not ever getting rid of my origin. It's so slick and so easy. Do it

Reactions: dster3
Have one in long action. Impressive performance and cost effective. No real downside. You can put the money saved toward a nice trigger, bipod, barrel, etc.
What I’m thinking, the price of the origin throws me off a bit. Almost as if there’s a reason why it’s cheap.

I get the non integrated rail and not having some of the other features like the TL3, but seems like a too good of a deal

Cheap may be a bit strong. Less expensive for sure (you probably meant that).

Compared to Impact or Terminus, it’s certainly a cost savings. Nothing at all wrong with getting good value for your dollar. Especially these days. There will still be people who think you’re nuts for spending $800+ on a rifle action. It’s all relative.

Search the many threads on this topic. I think you’ll find quite a few experienced shooters who like the build quality, dependability and performance of Origin.

Good luck!

The Origin is cheaper than some other actions simply because it has a separate pinned lug and rail instead of an integral lug and rail, and because no custom options are offered. This means they start with a smaller block of steel (cost-wise that's significant) that requires less machining (costs less to produce), simple as that.

When the Origin's pinned lug is sandwiched between the action and barrel under ~85-foot-pounds or so of torque, it's not going anywhere and performs exactly the same as an integral lug. Same thing with the rail, once in place under proper torque, it's rock solid.

Do it.

I've had an Origin since 2018 and love it. Thinking about picking up another for a .223 trainer build. There's no reason not to buy one... :)

Reactions: hellzna
Coup De Grace? Same money, integral rail & recoil lug. Some similar and some different features.

You’ll likely spend $600 - $800+ on a barrel and $1,500 - $5000+ on ammo to burn out that barrel. If you want an Origin, buy an Origin. But don’t let a few hundred dollars get in the way of buying an Impact or Fuzion or whatever if that’s what you actually want.

Reactions: vegashelipilot
What I’m thinking, the price of the origin throws me off a bit. Almost as if there’s a reason why it’s cheap.

I get the non integrated rail and not having some of the other features like the TL3, but seems like a too good of a deal
There's nothing cheap about an Origin. There's a reason so many love them. Zermatt is probably the best CS in the business too.

Reactions: Familydude
Coup De Grace? Same money, integral rail & recoil lug. Some similar and some different features.

You’ll likely spend $600 - $800+ on a barrel and $1,500 - $5000+ on ammo to burn out that barrel. If you want an Origin, buy an Origin. But don’t let a few hundred dollars get in the way of buying an Impact or Fuzion or whatever if that’s what you actually want.
I’d rather have an origin or arc every day of the week than some push feed trash.

Origins are great actions and the best entry level action out there. If $900 was what I had to spend on an action I'd get an Origin without question. Coup De Grace might be another good option once it's been out long enough to build a reputation and have more prefit options.

For something that will have barrels swapped a good bit (if you have that many barrels you'll either be swapping or buying more actions) I like a built in recoil lug. I just bought an Impact for a switch barrel rifle for this reason because I'll be swapping barrels a good bit.

I have my 6th one on order. I love them and have had zero issues. My buddy runs all impact and zero bad about them either, but I really haven’t seen a huge benefit to spend that much more. I started out the same way and was going to get one and swap barrels. Didn’t work, I just bought more actions…..

They're bind-o-matics.

Love my Origin and you can't go wrong with it...but I like my ARCs even more. For the money I would try the CDG...

Reactions: hellzna
I would say they bind a bit more but it’s more how you run it. Get used to it and it’s a non issue. Can bind any of them if you want.

I would say they bind a bit more but it’s more how you run it. Get used to it and it’s a non issue. Can bind any of them if you want.
I can't bind any action I own.

Complete BS.
I'll rephrase.
All the ones I've ever handled were bind-o-matics. Perhaps they shipped all the rejects to Canada. I haven't touched one since moving stateside.

I'll rephrase.
All the ones I've ever handled were bind-o-matics. Perhaps they shipped all the rejects to Canada. I haven't touched one since moving stateside.

If you're just sitting there playing with it in your lap yeah you can make it bind. If you're actually shooting with a loaded magazine it will not. In the thousands of rounds through my 3, I have never had one bind.

If you're just sitting there playing with it in your lap yeah you can make it bind. If you're actually shooting with a loaded magazine it will not. In the thousands of rounds through my 3, I have never had one bind.
The only ones I ever touched were in guns. Not on my lap.

Origin was my first custom action. It feels like a damn Ferrari after being accustomed to factory rifles. Fit and finish is excellent, Zermatt customer service is awesome.

I put a proof barrel, mpa chassis, Gen 2 razor, and TT Diamond on it. So it’s equipped pretty well. I have nothing bad to say about it. But in hindsight, sometimes I ask myself why I didn’t just spend $350 more to get the TL3, considering the price of the complete rifle and accessories, $350 is peanuts.

Mine is chambered in 223. Feeding can be a little finnicky and you’ll need to tune your mags, but once you get it, it runs excellent. The only mags that worked for 223 (for me) was the metal accurate mags.

I've got a few origins, and a tl3. One origin is on its 3rd barrel and is smooth as hell, the new one don't even have 100 rounds on it, but the newer coatings are better than my early serial nunber unit, so it'll likely be even better. Oh and I CAN bind it if I run it like a retard, don't do that shit.

I believe the newer origins are stainless and the older ones are chromoly.

The bolt heads are dlc coated, and the bolt body and receiver are nitrided.

I believe the newer origins are stainless and the older ones are chromoly.

The bolt heads are dlc coated, and the bolt body and receiver are nitrided.
Where else do you find a fully nitride action for under 1k? Nowhere......it's a great entry level action for sure, arguably one the best.

I’d rather have an origin or arc every day of the week than some push feed trash.

Hahaha I agree with both of these statements.

Get what you want, a few hundred bucks difference really is peanuts in this game. That goes both ways too, the Origin had all the fancy-pants features I wanted (including a solid reputation and proven track record) so I ended up saving a few bucks (which just got spent on more ~$100+ bags of sand or some other shit lol).

That said, nothing is more annoying than hearing guys talk about how an Origin is a "budget action" and that their ~$300 more expensive action is sooo much better, while they run some mid-tier trigger like a TT Special or some shit instead of ponying up for the Diamond or something else top shelf... fuck that, disgraceful, don't do that lol.

My opinion is trying to save a few dollars on an action is stupid. It's the cheapest part of your rifle system and will last the longest.

Things like an integral rail or lug can never come loose. There are hundreds of things to go wrong with a rifle system, might as well eliminate as many as you reasonably can.

By the time you add chassis/stock, bm, barrel, trigger, mounts, optics ect... the cost difference is negligible. Might as well start with the premium product that will almost assuradly have better features.

Reactions: Ronws and Secant
My opinion is trying to save a few dollars on an action is stupid. It's the cheapest part of your rifle system and will last the longest.

Things like an integral rail or lug can never come loose. There are hundreds of things to go wrong with a rifle system, might as well eliminate as many as you reasonably can.

By the time you add chassis/stock, bm, barrel, trigger, mounts, optics ect... the cost difference is negligible. Might as well start with the premium product that will almost assuradly have better features.
Definitely some truth to this…. I dont think any other actions will necessarily “shoot” better, but the experience will be better. I love my origin, but after it’s all said and done and you have a $5-$6k rig, spending an extra $3-400 for a top shelf action off the bat doesn’t seem so crazy.

My origin hasn’t left me needing more, but there are days when i regret not just buying the tl3. Would I have gained anything? Maybe… maybe not.

And hearing people say it’s a budget action is kinda funny. I’ve had guys at competitions turn their noses up at my origin. It’s still a $1k custom action. it’s just lacking some features that more expensive actions have.

A corvette with all the add ons ain’t no faster than the stripped model, it just feels better getting there. (Well, kinda. Not the best analogy but you get the picture)

Hahaha I agree with both of these statements.

Get what you want, a few hundred bucks difference really is peanuts in this game. That goes both ways too, the Origin had all the fancy-pants features I wanted (including a solid reputation and proven track record) so I ended up saving a few bucks (which just got spent on more ~$100+ bags of sand or some other shit lol).

That said, nothing is more annoying than hearing guys talk about how an Origin is a "budget action" and that their ~$300 more expensive action is sooo much better, while they run some mid-tier trigger like a TT Special or some shit instead of ponying up for the Diamond or something else top shelf... fuck that, disgraceful, don't do that lol.
I’m sure I’ve called an Origin a budget action, and I probably will in the future. I also have Specials and Primary’s on my suPeRioR actions 😂

You picked up on my point tho. I tried to save a few bucks on my first build. Big mistake. Huge. I haven’t worried about price on my last few actions.

I am putting together my first custom rifle and I was debating between an Origin, TL3, Impact and Lone Peak just a few weeks ago. I looked at the features of all of them, read reviews here and other sites and really considered the Origin but I know that I would always wonder about the one I kept leaning towards that was more expensive. I think if you are considering any other action that may be higher priced, TL3, Impact, Lone Peak etc, and you get the Origin, you may later down the road regret not getting one of the other ones. As far as functionality, it will work and it will feel better than a factory Savage or Remington and shouldn't have any issues for your needs. But......six months down the road, a year, hell a week, will you be thinking about one of the "better" actions?

I knew I would keep wondering about it and decided to pull the trigger and ended up purchasing the Lone Peak, I am very satisfied with it.

I am putting together my first custom rifle and I was debating between an Origin, TL3, Impact and Lone Peak just a few weeks ago. I looked at the features of all of them, read reviews here and other sites and really considered the Origin but I know that I would always wonder about the one I kept leaning towards that was more expensive. I think if you are considering any other action that may be higher priced, TL3, Impact, Lone Peak etc, and you get the Origin, you may later down the road regret not getting one of the other ones. As far as functionality, it will work and it will feel better than a factory Savage or Remington and shouldn't have any issues for your needs. But......six months down the road, a year, hell a week, will you be thinking about one of the "better" actions?

I knew I would keep wondering about it and decided to pull the trigger and ended up purchasing the Lone Peak, I am very satisfied with it.
On the money.

I know I started wondering about a year after. Luckily I have a buddy with a defiance and a bunch of impacts, and a couple others. That cured me of wondering and now am satisfied. Not saying any were bad, just that I don’t think there was a huge difference.

Origin was my first custom action. It feels like a damn Ferrari after being accustomed to factory rifles. Fit and finish is excellent, Zermatt customer service is awesome.

I put a proof barrel, mpa chassis, Gen 2 razor, and TT Diamond on it. So it’s equipped pretty well. I have nothing bad to say about it. But in hindsight, sometimes I ask myself why I didn’t just spend $350 more to get the TL3, considering the price of the complete rifle and accessories, $350 is peanuts.

Mine is chambered in 223. Feeding can be a little finnicky and you’ll need to tune your mags, but once you get it, it runs excellent. The only mags that worked for 223 (for me) was the metal accurate mags.

Never had a problem with plastic mdt mags with 223 in an origin.
Different chassis, so maybe different feed angle

I hear what you're saying, and normally I'd agree with you, but I truthfully have zero regrets about choosing an Origin for my first "custom action". I actually sort of wanted to spend more and the TL3 and Lone Peak were what I was leaning toward... until I accidentally figured out I prefer a swept handle, so the Origin ticked all the boxes for me.

I've put ~6000rds on it in ~2 years over 3 barrels and counting (probably more rounds than some of the guys participating in this thread will put through one action in their whole lives), so saving a few hundred bucks, or not getting what I really wanted, has nothing to do with it in my case.

I'm lucky to belong to a club where I see all kinds of cool shit and get to play with everything out there at any price, super slick Benchrest guns with BATs and Kelbly's and shit, full Gucci PRS rigs, AIs wearing RAPTARs, you name it... and when it comes to the Origin, some are as good, none are better, so there's nothing to wonder about for me.

no stop , no don't get one . leave it there for someone else to pick up . no will not like it , it's too good for the likes of you best of luck with it when you do come around to getting it .

If you push them sideways instead of forward they bind

This, if you don't run them like a retard they run fun. You can make even an AI or Tikka with short bolt stop bind up if you push sideways on them. The only bolt gun I've found that you absolutely cannot bind up is the Fix and it doesn't bind because it has a shroud that rides on rails.

I've ran a couple Origins and I thought they were a nice action and not bindy at all. I was planning on getting one recently until I decided I wanted an integral lug and rail. That action "upgrade" to an impact and extra bolt vs a Origin with an extra bolt head cost me $900 more too, which is the cost of a second Origin action. I could have bought two Origins outright for $100 less than the Impact and second bolt. I don't regret my purchase and would do it again, but it still doesn't necessarily mean it's worth twice the price.

Where else do you find a fully nitride action for under 1k? Nowhere......it's a great entry level action for sure, arguably one the best.
American Rifle Company.