• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes something inside a Nightforce

Outlaw45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Iowa, USA
I have a NXS 8-32x56 NP-R2 mounted on a Armalite AR-50. New gun and new scope. The first time I shot the gun, I shot 10 rounds of American Eagle 50bmg. No problems and loved the scope.

Yesterday I took the the gun out for the second time and shot 13 rounds. After the 9th round I noticed something on the lens. Because the muzzle break throws a lot of dirt and debris I thought it was just some dirt on the objective lens. I couldn't see anything on either lens but I still wiped it with the supplied Nightforce len cloth. It was still there and I couldn't wipe it off. It had to be on the inside. Two shots later it disappeared.

I can only assume that there is something floating around on the inside of the scope. Has anyone had this happen? I sent Nightforce an e-mail about it.

I know a .50 cal can take a toll on scopes, that's why I got a Nightfoce. Have I ruined my scope?

Re: something inside a Nightforce

Call Nightforce...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Nightforce...</div></div>

Yup. If there is something inside only they can fix it for you.

I e-mailed them. I'll see what they say, then if I have to I'll call them.

I'll hate sending it in.

It happens. I have had to send other brand scopes back for work and it does suck waiting but atleast the problem is taken care of.

My brother has the same thing with a relatively new USO sitting on top of a 308, it happens. Much like yours his spec/flake is no longer in his view so its out of sight and out of mind... for now...

-pd

I think I'll shoot it a couple more times to see if it happens again.

I have never had it happen to me but I have seen it happen to someone else. Something was there for a few shots and then went away again. I have has a similiar problem with a set of binoculars though. I took them apart and at first didnt see anything on the lense but then I saw a almost microscopic piece of dust that was causing the problem. Nightforce is pretti good about getting back to you through email but if it takes longer than 3 days I would call.

if it is a speck of mfg debris, you may never see it again. I have had it happen on 2 different well known scope brands and both companies made it right. But, my issue was a "fleck" that got into the sight picture and stayed there. One scope was a 2FP and the other was a first. More of an annoyance than anything.

I believe some companies intentionally leave excess grease around certain areas with the intention of catching any floating debris out of the sight picture so it is never a concern.\

Shoot it some more and see what happens. Unless more debris pops up, I wouldnt let it worry me.

Don't worry. As mentioned before most if not all scope companies grease up the inside of the scope to maintain the internal mechanics and also to catch dust. It was most likely a speck that got knocked loose and caught on the greasy insides, you will never see it again.

If contact Nightforce I'm sure they will tell you that it is normal.

We do make every attempt to secure and remove every piece of foreign matter inside the optic. Occasionally, a small piece of airborne matter might settle on the inside and through recoil, become dis-lodged.

This will not hurt the optic but I would recommend sending it into us so we can remove this small piece of debris for you. Our turn around time right now is, approximately 3-4 weeks.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Ken

Hit it against a phonebook!
grin.gif

I thought NF were supposed to be amazing. Seems like a lot of people have problems. I don't even want to know what you paid for it. Hope they take care of it for you.

Cool video of a expensive scope flexing under .50 recoil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

Like the other guys have said, it will not affect the performance of the scope and you may never see it again.

I had the same thing happen to a new high dollar scope when it was new, after a few more rounds it went away and I've never seen it again, that was several thousand rounds ago.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it does come back and becomes bothersome to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought NF were supposed to be amazing. Seems like a lot of people have problems. I don't even want to know what you paid for it. Hope they take care of it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask </div></div>

All scopes have problems, bro. If you come onto a site that is as focused on optics as this one, you will see the light. Chill.

A fleck inside isn't a big problem, unless its on the reticle driving you nuts.

I like USO's Faq that says to hit their scopes with a rubber mallet or put them in a truck and go offroad as ways to dislodge errant flecks.

If it bugs you send it in.

I would hate to have these specs of foreign matter inside my brand new scope.. I'm sure they'll take care of it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought NF were supposed to be amazing. Seems like a lot of people have problems. I don't even want to know what you paid for it. Hope they take care of it for you.

All scopes have problems, bro. If you come onto a site that is as focused on optics as this one, you will see the light. Chill.</div></div>

Whats up your ass bro?

Well, glad to hear that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

I'm a little relieved by hearing you guys saying that it's probably just a bit of dirt and probably won't affect anything. I'll shoot it this week and see how it is.

Thanks guys,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought NF were supposed to be amazing. Seems like a lot of people have problems. I don't even want to know what you paid for it. Hope they take care of it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask</div></div>

A lot of complaints are the result of user error. I read through the thread where a people were complaining about the inability to focus the ocular on their nightforce scopes. I had the same problem but found out that there is a lot of adjustment and you may need to spin the ocular several times to focus to your eye.

Always better to call the company first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought NF were supposed to be amazing. Seems like a lot of people have problems. I don't even want to know what you paid for it. Hope they take care of it for you.

All scopes have problems, bro. If you come onto a site that is as focused on optics as this one, you will see the light. Chill.</div></div>

Whats up your ass bro? </div></div>
disregard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought NF were supposed to be amazing. Seems like a lot of people have problems. I don't even want to know what you paid for it. Hope they take care of it for you.

Whats up your ass bro? </div></div>

Nothing, why? My ass is exit only dude.

Did my response "offend" you in some way? Re-reading it, it seems pretty straight forward and non combative. You implied that having a fleck in the sight picture somehow meant NF was inferior. I pointed out that they were not, and these flecks are not uncommon. I have had it happen it 2 optics, and neither was NF. Chill out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outlaw45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, glad to hear that I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

I'm a little relieved by hearing you guys saying that it's probably just a bit of dirt and probably won't affect anything. I'll shoot it this week and see how it is.

Thanks guys,

</div></div>

When I first had it happen to me, it was in a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20. Drove me nuts. It was like 1-2 moa below the crosshair and stayed there. Zeiss was willing to help, but didnt have my exact model in stock. However, Doug from cameraland (where I bought it) did, and he sent me a new one. On the spot, before I even sent mine to him, to keep me from waiting.

I think if it had been farther from the center of the image, I wouldnt have worried about it, other than if I ever needed to resell the scope. Pretty hard to sell glass with something floating in the sight picture, LOL

Arent most Nifhtforce scopes mad in japan? Its hard to have perfect quality control when your product is made half way around the world. I would be a little POed if I paid that much for something I had send right back. However, this is real life, shit happens. Im sure nightforce will take care of it. I had an issue with a IOR of mine also asl long as it gets fixed Im happy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arent most Nifhtforce scopes mad in japan? </div></div>

Again.....

From Nightforce Bill:

"It's no secret that the original lineup of NF scopes are marked "Made in Japan". While there are subcomponents in these scopes made in Japan, all assembly, quality control, reticle installation, servicing and warranty take place in Idaho. Japan isn't in the equation in the unlikely event you have an issue. The F1 and Compact scopes are made in the US. Nightforce is up front and doesn't try to hide this. There are other scope manufacturers who like their customers to think they are made in the USA by placing their name and address on the scope-this does not mean it's "Made in the USA".

Japan is considered the #2 glass manufacturer in the world and it isn't to be ashamed of. Everybody likes to refer to Schott glass as #1 but they make different grades of glass too. Something most people don't pay any mind to is that a lot of European scope manufacturers are now outsourcing their glass to Japan.

I find it funny (not directed at anybody in particular) that you have customers who have no problems buying something out of Europe-but if anything is made in Japan it's automatically suspect even with a well proven track record for some companies such as NF."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arent most Nifhtforce scopes mad in japan? Its hard to have perfect quality control when your product is made half way around the world. I would be a little POed if I paid that much for something I had send right back. However, this is real life, shit happens. Im sure nightforce will take care of it. I had an issue with a IOR of mine also asl long as it gets fixed Im happy... </div></div>

There is no such thing as perfect quality control anywhere.You dont think Nightforce has a QC rep over in Japan? The Japanese can manufacture quality on par with anyone.I agree with you about being bummed out when you spend that kind of cash.I recently had an issue with a new scope that is considered a bracket above NF.It sucks but as you said shit happens.

Before I start, I dont think this is a huge issue, and every brand of scope has the same chance for it to happen. I give credit for NF's strong construction, clear lens, and superb CS.
I have similar situation here, 2 little debris in the tube, can't see it in operation, but pretty obvious if you look from objective lens to the eyepiece.(Don't ask, I dont even know why I did it in the first place either, but that got me discover the debris) I do not think it is a big deal since USO also list it in their FAQ. However, I did email NF, and NF's CS is top notch, recommand me to send it in and will take care of it for me. I do not like the wait either, but I also do not want to pass the offer of removing them.

Hope this helps~

Dyl..

Contacted Nightforce on friday, responded back to me today, monday. Very timely and apologetic. Asked for my address so it can be picked up and inspected.

+1 on customer service.

Got my scope back today. Took just less than a month for repair and back to me. Nightforce paid shipping both ways and even 2nd day air back to me.

Again A+ for Nightforce Customer Service