• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Something to think about when taking pics.

Tburkes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2002
Bandera, Texas
I've seen lots of really nice trophies taken that perhaps would look much much better in the photographs if there had been a few minutes taken to compose the scene a little different.

I'm going to use some pictures that have been posted recently to show examples of what I think could have been composed better, and some that look great.

You guys who may see your pictures posted here as one of the examples that could have been composed a little different for a better outcome please don't think I'm bashing you or your trophy at all. I wish I were with each of you where ever the pics were taken. Also, since I have no idea as to the time allowed for picture taking these guys just may not have had the time to compose the animal either.

To begin with, some of the better pictures I've seen have the camera low, like level with, or below the animals head. that allows you to be able to have the antlers/horns displayed with the sky behind them. This makes them stand out better with no distracting clothes, ground, branches, etc. taking away from the visual appeal of what you're trying to highlight.

When the camera is low of course there will be sticks, grass, rocks, etc. in the way. Cut the grass, move the sticks and rocks. When we hunted in Africa as soon as you start getting ready for the picture taking the trackers come out with their machetes and knives and start clearing everything away in between the camera and the animal. It's just a totally expected thing that the picture taker will be down low to, or laying down on the ground.

Roll the animal up into a natural laying down position. This can be tough with a big animal like an elk, but we've done it with 1800 pound Eland, so I know it can be done, if you have enough help!
smile.gif
It can be hard because the legs don't always want to be folded up into the natural position. If you can get it done though it pays off in the photo.

Take some pictures with the animal looking straight at the camera and some with the animal look off at an angle. I think that most of the time the off angle perspective looks better and shows more of the antlers and horns

Use the flash for fill lighting. You'll be amazed how good you can make some pictures come out by forcing the camera to flash when it normally would not have, like a bright day, or when you're just forced to take a picture with the camera facing toward the sun. It will make shadows under hat brims disappear, or if you're back in some brush it'll help light up the subject. I use fill flash a lot.

Take your time composing the picture. The animal is dead and unless it's hot enough that you have to worry about meat spoilage just take your time. This will be the only time you ever take a picture of this animal so get the best photos you can. With todays digital cameras that almost everyone has there's really no excuse for not having good pictures since you can look at them as soon as you take them, and then delete and retake if you need to. Also, take lots of pictures, again it's just too easy to do with the digital cameras.

SMILE!! I've seen lots of pictures where the hunter looks like he's mad at the animal he just killed. This is lots of fun, show your joy, and excitement of having taken a trophy you're proud to have in the photograph.

Okay, here are some examples of pictures that I, remember my opinion only, think would have looked a lot better with a few changes to the composition.

If the camera could have been moved a to the right enough for the antlers to be in the sky they would show up much better. If you can cut the grass down in between the camera and the subject to keep it from being distracting to what you're taking a picture of it is a big pay off. I suspect that this picture may have been taken with the delay since this hunter may have been by himself. It also looks like the auto focus may have keyed in on some of the grass instead of the animal, so cutting the grass may have made the pic a little sharper on the hunter and elk. I know an elk is a big animal and you can't always roll him up into a natural laying down position, but if you can it will look much better. You can use rocks, limbs, anything natural to help balance the animal.
473b10de.jpg

Even a night time pic can look better with a bit of composition. I hope this guy has cropped this picture so we can't see his face, for whatever reason, and the original does have him in the pic. Again, if you will have the animal in a natural position, rather than rolled onto his side it'll look better. I try to get the person off to the side so there's nothing to distract from the antlers. If this guy had been off to the side the antlers would look pretty neat all lit up against the dark background.
5c0848f7.jpg

Oh man, such a nice deer and you can hardly see his antlers at all. I'd have the camera much lower and try to get the antlers skylined against the sky. Roll him up into a laying position, cut the grass out from in front of him, have the shooter off to the side so the antlers stand out.
8636d6cd.jpg

I think it's neat how these antlers are high lighted so much, they look really nice. Me personally, I don't like to look like I'm sitting on the animal for pictures, but it's not my picture either. I think this pic could look much better with the camera lower to the ground, and the deers back legs placed in a nature laying down position.
8da77f68.jpg

Man, what a nice deer. Again roll him up to a laying down position, get the camera low to the ground. Try to get his antlers against the sky with the hunter off to the side and they'll look even bigger than they do here.
c821b6ff.jpg

This is another really nice buck that could have come out looking much better. Even at night you can usually get a picture of the animal on the ground near where he was shot and it can come out pretty nice, see the night picture above. In my opinion it looks like a better picture than one laying in the bed of a truck.
7e9fd6b3.jpg

Here are some examples that I think are great examples of trophy pictures in the field. I think Pat of PGS took all of these. You can see that there has been a lot of effort put into getting a good photograph.

Now I doubt that that Mule deer fell dead on that rock, so these guys have obviously gone to a lot of trouble to get him up there. Heck with all the Lichens on the rock it could be a picture in itself. It really adds to the over all look. See how much nicer and natural the deer looks in a natural laying down pose. The horns look great with the sky behind them so you can see all of the tines easily. The hunter has a double hand full of neck skin holding the head up straight, and he's off to the side. Just a super nice photograph, something you'd be happy to frame.
1f98121b.jpg

Another great picture. You can tell there's been some effort to remove as much blood as possible with what was at hand, and a lot of effort into getting everyone positioned. It's a great picture, but notice that the head is turned more directly toward the camera. See how it's a liiitttle bit harder to see some of the tines? This is not meant as a negative at all, just as an example so you can look again at the picture above and below this one as a demonstration of how much more detail you can see when the head is turned at an angle.
aec2624a.jpg

I like close ups like this, you can see lots of detail in both the animal and hunter. I would have suggested that the hunter take his glasses off in some of the pictures so you can see his eyes too.
43b88067.jpg

You've taken some really nice animals Pat, and you do a great job of photographing them as well. Way to go.
fec4d82f.jpg

Re: Something to think about when taking pics.

Here's another great picture. If you'll notice in all of Pat's pictures the camera is about even with or slightly below the animal's head, and he's rolled up almost into the natural laying down position. The Pine tree adds some nice contrasting color to the picture.
a885db90.jpg

Here's a Waterbuck I took in Africa this year. The top picture could be composed better. The camera is too high, the horns aren't as easy to see, etc. See how much larger the horns look in the second pic simply because they're up above the camera with the sky behind them.
170027e8.jpg

2e87f66e.jpg

Here's my daughters Kudu. This picture is not the best pic that could have been taken at all, but it came out a lot better than I thought it would. It was almost dark and I took this without a flash to see what would happen. See how hard it is to see the horns with the thorn bushes in the back ground.
b508084b.jpg

Another picture of a Kudu with the camera low so the horns are skylit as a comparison to the picture above.
f0bc6e4a.jpg

Anyway, just some thoughts for guys and gals in the future to be able to come home with some pictures you'd be proud to hang on the wall. And no offense meant at all to any of the pictures I used as examples of what could be changed to make them even better than they already are. And all of this is just my opinion too.

Tony, Thanks for for the nice compliments!! I think this could be the start of a great thread!!

Trial and error over 40+ years and I'm still working on it and learning! I cherish the time at the kill site and always realize that once the knives come out it's gone forever...try to preserve it with as good of photographs as you can take. I find that even if you take 50 or more pics, only one or two will stand out, so take a lot...and from as many angles as you can. We have the luxury of good digital camera's to be able to review what they are. So dont be shy about holding back!

I'll dig through the photobucket and put up a few of the good and the bad....

donsbuck052.jpg

From this fall...this was a special buck to me as I'd found him this past summer and have a lot of "live" pics of him. When we got him him I spent a full hour trying for the best pics I could get..

Sarpybucks9-4-10015.jpg

Here he is from early September...

antelope2010027.jpg

A good buck Antelope my cousin shot this fall...we tried for a shot with the horns against the blue sky..

I always try to spend alot of time getting the best photos I can of every animal we shoot. I always look back and wish I had more and better ones though! Here are acouple from this year.

IMG_4189.jpg

73736_166098666755556_100000662700080_383261_4801206_n.jpg

Worldsandantelope2010093.jpg

scan0019-7.jpg

One I've always regretted....sitting on top of the animal is not cool...plus my rifle muzzle is pointed right at me.

scan0022-4.jpg

About 20 years ago...pretty hard to screw up the background on this one, but notice the rifle....not good! With film camera's it was always a challenge hoping they would turn out.

scan0002-5.jpg

Another one from back in the day.....I would do this buck a lot different today! I was happy with him, but you'd never know it by looking at the pic!! SMILE!!

scan0031.jpg

I lucked out on this selftimed shot of a 30" buck I killed November 20th, 1985...Shot two rolls of film for one good pic.

scan0010.jpg

Selftimed shot of my first wild sheep...one of my favorite field pictures.

scan0014-1.jpg

I still hate myself for this one....self explanitory!

scan0008.jpg

Selftimer from a Montana buck I shot back in 1986...if you hunt solo a lot like I do, put the camera on a tripod and go for it!!

momsantelope015.jpg

Logan with his mom's antelope this fall..a little messy around the mouth....always room for improvement!!

scan0025-8.jpg

Back in my "Jerimiah Johnson" days.....laffin! Lions, and bears are difficult to get good field pics of in my experience..

IMG_1247.jpg

A better effort on a bear from Wyoming this past spring...