• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Somewhat Snipery Swiss K-31's

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    The Swiss have yearly "Feldschiessen" competitions using different categories of weapons. The most common weapons used are the Stgw57/03, the K-31, the 1911, and the current issue weapon, the Sig STGW 90.

K-31
    swiss pic crop.jpg

I saw this pic and loved the paint scheme. It appears to be a common theme.

images (4).jpg

So I had to have it on my Swiss guns.
    DSCN4214.JPG
    DSCN4215.JPG
    DSCN4217.JPG
    paint (1).JPG
    paint (2).JPG

The bottom gun in the rack is a very rare and early Hammerli Tanner in 30-06. I rebuilt this gun as the previous owner said it had been it a fire. It didn't seem to hurt as it consistently shoots .75 moa.
    1619301413900.png

1619301529115.png

Loved my time shooting in Switzerland.
    swiss range.jpg
    zurrich13.jpg

The machine work on Stgw 57's is something to behold. Amazing amount of work for an issued rifle.

A good friend had to part with his pristine example and several thousand rounds of ammo in an emergency, sadly I didn't have the funds to get it from him.

20220211_140227.jpg

Just now seeing your post Maj. Jones, and wanted to share a photo taken on one of my visits to Switzerland. It perfectly captures the spirit of a Swiss citizen soldier headed to the local range for an afternoon of practice with his StGw 57.

Attachments

• 20220211_140227.jpg
      20220211_140227.jpg
      356 KB · Views: 51
    What is the b;ue rear sight and how is it attached on your K31? I would like to get one
    It is a gehmann 595C match diopter. Not made anymore. You can get something like it from Gehmann in Germany, https://shop.gehmann.com/Kompakt-Diopter-Limited-Edition/1001842 or https://www.ebay.com/itm/373821437547?epid=1650342104&hash=item57097e766b:g:RmYAAOSwcMRgfvzZ

It is attached to the rifle by a 10mm rail base that I drilled and tapped.

It's not a problem oredering from either of these overseas companies, they both regularly ship to the US. It does take as much as a month to get here.

Reactions: Davo308
    View attachment 7805805
    Just now seeing your post Maj. Jones, and wanted to share a photo taken on one of my visits to Switzerland. It perfectly captures the spirit of a Swiss citizen soldier headed to the local range for an afternoon of practice with his StGw 57.

Question... did the former bicycle troops continue riding such bikes in later years?

Could the surplus be purchased by individuals?

That looks like a fun way to spend the day.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Question... did the former bicycle troops continue riding such bikes in later years?

Could the surplus be purchased by individuals?

That looks like a fun way to spend the day.
    Surplus bikes could be purchased and many were imported to the US. There are several for sale on e-bay. Normal prices are $1200. I have a surplus Swiss Army bike and a vintage British BSA Paratrooper folding bicycle. Currently building a repro rifle mount for the Brit bike. Many Armies have used bikes, commonly in the past but still around today. While in 10th SFG(A) in the 90's we had mountain bikes available to us.

While serving in 1AD in Germany in the eary '80's, we had an exercise and one nation was surprised when it opposed the Belgian Carabiniers-Cyclists only to find them equipped with Leopard 1 tanks.

1644867981387.jpeg

Before disbanding in 2003, the Swiss bicycle military regiments had been the world’s last remaining units on two wheels. We’re bringing you the most remarkable details unveiling their history.
    The bicycle was introduced into the Swiss army in 1891 and was mostly used by military couriers. Soon after, in 1905, the first bicycle unit was established and the original bike was replaced by the first standard bicycle “Ordonnanzfahrrad,” the Modell 05. As Switzerland has several official languages, the bike was both French Militärvelo and German Armeerad. Each unit was obliged to bring its own bikes with it, which resulted in slight differences in the equipment. The sturdy construction and single-speed concept made climbing mountain passes extremely challenging, and the poor spoon brake on the front and the coaster brake on the rear turned any descending in an adventurous operation.
    MO-05 Swiss Army bicycle
    It took an unbelievable 88 years before the Modell 05 was finally replaced in 1993 by the much more modern “Fahrrad 93” equipped with a 7-speed gear, a hefty derailleur guard, hydraulic brakes, and dynamo. Condor-Werke AG, a Swiss-based manufacturer company, delivered 5,500 bicycles for the price of 2,200 francs each, including maintenance.
    Without additional luggage, the military bike equipped to carry food rations and battle gear weighed in at 22 kg and was far from easy to ride on. After heavy weaponry including anti-tank missiles was loaded, the full weight increased to 50 kilograms making them difficult to manoeuvre in the mountainous areas.
    The Swiss Army bike regiments evolved not for the purposes of logistical supply as for example the US Army’s bike units in the Vietnam War did, but rather as quick-response defensive units capable of striking the enemy forces daring to cross the Swiss borders on the ground.
    The MO-93, officially called Militärrad 93.
    The advantages of the cycling brigade were obvious – over short distances, the units were faster and more flexible than their motorised counterparts. They were silent, hard to detect and effective in anti-tank reactions.
    Only the fittest applicants were accepted to the regiment. The recruits had to pass a rigorous training including a 200km forced pedal march starting at two o’clock in the morning. According to the regiment members, the tough conditions contributed to the stout fighting spirit, and cycling troopers were considered capable, valiant and proud by Swiss civilians.
    In 2001, Swiss generals decided there was no room for a pedalling power in their military plans starting from 2003. In contrast to the emotional reactions after the disbanding of cavalry regiments in the 1970s, there were no loud protests this time.
    In 2012 the Swiss Ministry of Defence, Civil Defense and Sport purchased 4100 units of a new model of military bicycle, officially called Fahrrad 12, at a cost of CHF 10.2 million (approximately CHF 2,490 per unit, including maintenance costs over 10 years) from Simpel.ch, as the original manufacturer of the Model 93 was not available.
    Following the official disbanding of the military units, the Swiss army bicycles became a sought-after item among collectors. Originally, the bikes could be bought by soldiers only, however, the black market made them available to public. You can find them on eBay for the bidding price starting at approximately 1,000 euros.
    Despite the end of the cycling regiment, the Swiss army ordered a new official bike called “Fahrrad 12” in 2012. 4,100 bikes totalling 10.2 million Swiss francs were made mostly for maintenance and delivery purposes. Weighing in at 16 kg, the current army bike is significantly lighter than its forerunners. All components, including front and rear rack, were chosen to withstand heavy loads and usage in tough conditions. Even though a bike like this would have been highly welcome by the former frontline unit, the legendary forces are gone forever.
    Fahrrad 12Fahrrad 93Modell 05OrdonnanzfahrradSwiss army
    Written by: Adam Marsal

There is a movie called April 9th, ,about the German invasion of Denmark. The movie features the Danish reconnaissance unit that was equipped with bikes and Madsen light machine guns. They were the main opposition to the German invasion.
    MV5BNzQ0YmNlMmItZTgzYy00NmY3LWIzNjEtMzZiMGI5NTgyODkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjI3Mjc5NzQ@._V1_.jpg

images

Last edited:
    This is my Suisse Modell Armee bike, almost identical to the MO-05 shown above. These were only manufactured 1939~41 during the war when the main supplier couldn't keep up with demand. A scarce version by numbers, they were all given to the current soldiers using them when the model was retired. You see them all over Switzerland being ridden to work and around town. International demand is strong, and many were shipped overseas. I obtained this one in the late 90's. Just a dust collector now.

Attachments

• 20220215_070657.jpg
      20220215_070657.jpg
      480.9 KB · Views: 60
    Hello gentlemen. I have multiple K31s and I would really like to put one of them in a chassis system. Do any of you guys know if any one makes a chassis for these rifles, and where can you acquire one if they do?

Hello gentlemen. I have multiple K31s and I would really like to put one of them in a chassis system. Do any of you guys know if any one makes a chassis for these rifles, and where can you acquire one if they do?
    K31.ch or Google k31 chassis.

I believe the owner is a member here.

He even has dope cards for the k31.