• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Son and I are taking a road trip to CO, UT, NM next month

justinf

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2012
Pretty excited to get my 14 year old son in the old truck and head west for a month. We live in NC and are going to camp 90% of the time in and around various state and national parks: Rocky Mountain, Arches, Moab/Canyonlands, Grand Canyon etc.

Would be happy to receive any suggestions on areas we might be able to do some laid-back target shooting while we are out there. Or, any general suggestions on offroad overlanding type trails to awesome off-the-beaten-path locations too. Thanks.

When I meet people visiting from other countries and they ask what to see I have 3 regular suggestions.

-The Statue of Liberty.
-The Grounds of the University of Virginia
-The Grand Canyon.

For gosh sake brother. If you do nothing else take the time to hike from the North Rim of the GC to the Colorado River at the bottom. Its 7 miles each way, and +/- a mile change in elevation so plan carefully. Easy 4 hour trip down, camp for a day or two and a hard day back up. There are some services at the river but Im not sure what. Better plan on carrying your own chow. I did it around 1972 and still remember it clearly.

the one thats on my bucket list is Yellowstone.

Reactions: justinf
Sounds like a trip I took with my 12 year old daughter years back. I'm in NC as well, and road tripped and camped on the way out and back. We hit RMNP, Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde on that trip. I'd highly recommend great sand dunes and mesa Verde for a kid. I'm jealous, as you will make some great memories. My daughter and I still laugh about how scared she was of the supercells and tornadoes one night as we were crossing Kansas... Hail the size of your fist and I ran out to pull the truck under the awning of the hotel we got, no camping that night. And the mid summer snow storm in Telluride.

Man, I've got a 4 year old boy now, and can't wait to make the trip with him in a few years. Have a great time!!

When I meet people visiting from other countries and they ask what to see I have 3 regular suggestions.

-The Statue of Liberty.
-The Grounds of the University of Virginia
-The Grand Canyon.

For gosh sake brother. If you do nothing else take the time to hike from the North Rim of the GC to the Colorado River at the bottom. Its 7 miles each way, and +/- a mile change in elevation so plan carefully. Easy 4 hour trip down, camp for a day or two and a hard day back up. There are some services at the river but Im not sure what. Better plan on carrying your own chow. I did it around 1972 and still remember it clearly.

the one thats on my bucket list is Yellowstone.
North Rim to river via North Kaibab trail is 14 miles one way and 6000 ft elevation change. Camping at Phantom Ranch campground requires reservations several months to yr in advance.

North Rim to river via North Kaibab trail is 14 miles one way and 6000 ft elevation change. Camping at Phantom Ranch campground requires reservations several months to yr in advance.

You are correct, see below. As stated its been 46 years. But as I remember you dont HAVE to stay in a campground...there is plenty of space to just throw out a bed roll out of site of the rangers. Still a great trip.

Backcountry Trail Distances - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S ...
www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/trail-distances.htm
Backcountry Trail Distances. ... The trail begins on the North Rim at the head of Roaring Springs Canyon and descends to the Colorado River.

Yeah man. We are definitely doing the canyon hike, but we are going to do it in a day. I've done it twice before and need to look up the exact route again but I'm pretty sure it's the route you mention down and then 10.5 miles back out, for a total of 18-19 miles. Start early, quick lunch at the bottom and out around dusk. I'm training the boy up now for that one :)

Sounds like a trip I took with my 12 year old daughter years back. I'm in NC as well, and road tripped and camped on the way out and back. We hit RMNP, Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde on that trip. I'd highly recommend great sand dunes and mesa Verde for a kid. I'm jealous, as you will make some great memories. My daughter and I still laugh about how scared she was of the supercells and tornadoes one night as we were crossing Kansas... Hail the size of your fist and I ran out to pull the truck under the awning of the hotel we got, no camping that night. And the mid summer snow storm in Telluride.

Man, I've got a 4 year old boy now, and can't wait to make the trip with him in a few years. Have a great time!!

Exactly! I forgot about the sand dunes too, went there in high school.

Cool, I'll check out Phantom Ranch to see if we get lucky. We did find some availability on the White Rim in Canyonlands this week, so that was a bit of luck.

You are correct, see below. As stated its been 46 years. But as I remember you dont HAVE to stay in a campground...there is plenty of space to just throw out a bed roll out of site of the rangers. Still a great trip.

Backcountry Trail Distances. ... The trail begins on the North Rim at the head of Roaring Springs Canyon and descends to the Colorado River.

Oh I just remember Phantom is in the GC...yeah we are crushing that hike in a day. So we'll camp back at the top.

As the man above said its 28 miles and a lot of elevation. Take a bit more time andenjoy it, dont do it in a day, at least spend one night at the river. Check the link above for info.

Well, this is one of those hikes that I've talked about for years so my son wants to do it that way. A rite of passage I suppose.

I was checking out the link (thanks!) and I remember now (or I think) that we have taken South Kaibab down and then Bright Angel back out. What an epic day that is.

In NM spend some time around Abiquiu. Camping area on the lake or you could go up on the mountain at Youngsville on 100.
The Valles Caldera is a worthy stop as well in the area.
Eat at the Los Ojos in Jemez Springs if you get a chance.
North rim of the GC is my favorite as well.

R

In NM spend some time around Abiquiu. Camping area on the lake or you could go up on the mountain at Youngsville on 100.
The Valles Caldera is a worthy stop as well in the area.
Eat at the Los Ojos in Jemez Springs if you get a chance.
North rim of the GC is my favorite as well.

R

Thank you! Ok, you guys are warming me up to the idea of North Rim down and back in two days. 14.2 is still a decent day hike, haha.

Where in Utah do you want to end up? I can give you some fun spots, just depends where you end up in the state at? 4 corners area, etx.. moab is cool and monument valley...

I was checking out the link (thanks!) and I remember now (or I think) that we have taken South Kaibab down and then Bright Angel back out. What an epic day that is.

Do what you wish but the N rim to the river and back in a day ia a lot. I did it when I was about 21 and in great shape and it was more than I really wanted. To this day I wish I had taken more time and enjoyed it more. Unless theyve improved it a lot the trail is step and really slippery because of dust and gravel. t was about 40 degrees when I left the rim and 105 at the bottom. I did leave all my food at the bottom and hiked out with a backpack full of rocks I collect. some from the billion year old basalt.

Where in Utah do you want to end up? I can give you some fun spots, just depends where you end up in the state at? 4 corners area, etx.. moab is cool and monument valley...

Definitely Moab, Arches, Canyonlands. . . and from there, pretty open!

Bryce Canyon, Utah. Ride a mule to the bottom and back out again. Much more affordable than the same trip in the Grand Canyon but just as spectacular.

Bryce Canyon, Utah. Ride a mule to the bottom and back out again. Much more affordable than the same trip in the Grand Canyon but just as spectacular.
What an amazing beautiful world we have. We should stop fucking it up.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Moab for sure. Do Arches early as possible. Don't be afraid to get out and walk. And walk and walk and walk.

ALWAYS bring too much water. Buy it by the case at Walmart and keep it in the cooler. Drink it all. Force yourself if necessary. Otherwise you'll have nasty headaches that will ruin your day. Beer and soda don't count towards the water intake either.

Go to Canyonlands and on the way out take a right just after the entrance and take the shelf road back. It's a pucker factor of 10 but easy to do in just about any 4WD. I saw a beat up Subaru coming up one time. You'll come up on the Potash salt ponds. I'm sure you've seen pictures an just didn't know what you were seeing. This will lead to the Potash canyon road. Stop at the ancient drawings. You'll be back in Moab before you know it.

Rent a Jeep or side by side for a day and do Hell's Revenge.

Hanging Lake is just off I-70 as you're headed into Glenwood Springs. Worth the stop and several hours to hike to the top. If you can plan it, go early. Real early. Beat the heat and crowds. Parking can be very difficult as well.

SW Colorado is worth seeing. Telluride/Ouray is incredible and some very easy but white knuckle 4WD passes like Black Bear. There's several deaths every year so be diligent.

^^^And with the water pack a couple Chap Sticks. The SW is dry and you'll get chapped lips if you dont. It can get really painful if you dont catch it early.

Thanks much for the good intel fellas. Truly appreciated. I'll keep you posted on how things go.

I force drink 48 ounces before setting off on a hike. In southern Utah I keep wetting my had to keep my head from cooking off.

A hat with a neck cover is helpful.

web_1920-500x500.jpg

Hey, don't live in those states but driven around a bunch. If you get a chance, take the Pony Express Hwy. that runs just south of Nebraska and in the norther part of Kansas. I think you can get off the interstate somewhere around KC. It's straight as an arrow and to my knowledge they don't care about speed so long as you are safe. There are still lots of cool historic places that are just laying out there and rotting. Like the barracks and even abandoned military forts in SD, ND and MT.

ALL of the cool shit I've seen was OFF the interstate. If you plan on travelling interstates, you can just get on a bypass and ride it in circles. It's the same wherever you go. Unless the trip doesn't matter but you said you were driving, so...

Hey, don't live in those states but driven around a bunch. If you get a chance, take the Pony Express Hwy. that runs just south of Nebraska and in the norther part of Kansas. I think you can get off the interstate somewhere around KC. It's straight as an arrow and to my knowledge they don't care about speed so long as you are safe. There are still lots of cool historic places that are just laying out there and rotting. Like the barracks and even abandoned military forts in SD, ND and MT.

ALL of the cool shit I've seen was OFF the interstate. If you plan on travelling interstates, you can just get on a bypass and ride it in circles. It's the same wherever you go. Unless the trip doesn't matter but you said you were driving, so...

That's a great idea and I'll definitely check out the Pony Express. We will be driving a heavily-modified but still old LandCruiser so off-interstate is great, and I love stumbling into odd and interesting sites on the smaller highways.