• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Son in laws and tools..

While I'd been working in the Trades, I've seen a few things that make me scratch my head. At the same time, I'm personally NOT a computerologist, so I confess to doing some dumb things with computers where I've needed others to 'come fix this' type of thing.

But yeah, there's been a number of times where 'tool A' was used in place of 'tool B, C, D, and E'. Quite often it was something along the lines of an Electrician doing the work of a Plumber, or Millwright. Or any other combination of task. One of the saddest things though, was when a welder decided to use a lathe (engine lathe) for jigging.

The one that has always taken the cake (that I've seen) though, was when the Electricians put a 'pencil line' on a computer monitor. When doing a particular machine's timing and alignment, the readout had to 'end up' on that line on the screen in order to be 'good'.

That what you're asking for? :D

I let a guy use my staple gun at the range once, it was a Stanley, you put the flat end on the backstop, and squeeze the handle. Simple right? I watch the guy hold the staple gun backwards and put the handle against the backstop and pushed it until he heard the click. He did this twice before he noticed there were no staples in his target. He looked at me, looked at the gun, and asked if it was out of staples. I was speechless so i just took it out of his hand, held it right and put two staples in his target, and handed it back to him, I'll be damned if i was going to do all his work for him. I can't help his daddy didn't teach him how to use a staple gun.

Lol. My father in law is basically hopeless mechanically. He’s kinda handy with carpentry tasks and masonry but horrible at electrical, plumbing, engines, equipment, etc. I’m not sure what the cognitive disconnect is due to but it’s almost comical.

One of my favorite singers has a song about this -

This is all you need to know:

stuck bolt.jpg

This is why, in my Trade, we run a 5 year Apprentice Training Program..... Some young men spent 5 years in Grandpa's or Dad's work shop building what they needed / desired...... Good young craftsmen. Other's were raised by a single Mom, lived in an apartment and had no Father figure to show them some basic mechanics.... Slow to pick it up.. And then, it's what a person (man or woman) get's from their gene pool... As journeymen with a new apprentice, all we strived to do was to "do the best we could with what we had to work with"... No, they all did not make it in the trade. Just our challenge as old craftsmen.

Hobo

I'm in the office more than I am in the field now that I'm a project manager but one thing that'd get me fired up is when guys would borrow tools without asking. I went into work one Monday, opened the truck and immediately noticed that i was missing tools. The trucks were locked in a garage so it's not like someone broke in. I asked the other crew if they had done a service call over the weekend and borrowed some tools. They said they'd done two and one of the guys borrowed mine since he didn't have much since he just started. Ok, well where are my tools then? Oh, he left them at the lady's house. At this point I'm furious because they were my personal tools and this dipshit just left them somewhere. I looked at him and said go get them or fork over $100 right now. Lucky for him the house was close. Some people have no respect for other people's stuff.

My SIL is pretty good with tools and guns, but he was raised on a farm and had a dad present.

Would you rather your SIL be a shitty father, beat your daughter, do drugs, but be able to rebuild a short block upside down under water??? Be careful what you criticize, take what's given to you be thankful.

Would you rather your SIL be a shitty father, beat your daughter, do drugs, but be able to rebuild a short block upside down under water??? Be careful what you criticize, take what's given to you be thankful.
Like I said before he's a great guy.... I just thought using a paint brush or screw driver was something guys know what to do with.... I mean real basic things.

Training apprentices is one of the best things about my job/company.

Making money is nice, making useful men is nicer. You can't complain about a shortage of trained people if you aren't doing something about it.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Okay...No problem then. I had to deal with the same thing when active duty. Plenty of people just never touched a tool in any way, others knew how to tear down anything and rebuild it.

Reactions: jumpermed
BTW this is a fine example of why we need STEM included in schools. Maybe starting much earlier in the school years. Start with a simple vo-tech style class in middle school, growing to the engineering side at the high school level.

Working in the oil patch, you will see all manner of tool misuse. Wrench for hammer, hammer for wrench, screw driver for pry bar, etc.

This is all you need to know:

View attachment 7250182
That's cute. Theres a set of bolts common to machines we see all the time. Once or twice a year somewhere in the country we have to pull a set. When we do I go pick up a 45lb co2 can and run direct hose to the bolt while 2 gas axes heat the metal that's female threaded. Then we use 1" breaker bar thats been modified heavily. The modified bar is fixtured onto whatever forklift the customer has.

4 bolts 1 hour total.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Moved away for college. Stayed away longer than expected. 29 years of age I moved back to the area I grew up. When helping on the farm my 18yr old cousin was helping my father and I on farm build a loft in the shed. When hanging plywood my father handed my cousin a drill. He didn’t know how to use. Drill bit was still in and he grabbed a screw to start screwing the screw inward. We showed him proper way. Then he didn’t know to apply pressure to drive the screw in. I was baffled!

Fast forward to my now 3 year old son. I allow him to help me with almost everything around the house and garage. And sometimes take him to farm. Task might take me 3x as long to do it but at least he’s learning and creating memories together.

Ah, I think the vocational skill is sometimes something you pickup and it comes naturally to some like a talent of some sort. I have seen guys that can fix cars, do carpentry work, plumbing etc and they learn all by themselves, some great painters too. We all can't be skilled in certain areas of life and thats we people should stick together, We lend a helping hand to each other and no man will want.

I honestly didn't think you could be a good husband and father without at least knowing what basic tools do what jobs. You don't have to be an expert or pro, but at least know what you're doing. The men around me growing up all knew enough in the wood shop and garage. And the other lesson I learned from those men around me when young was humility: if you don't know how to do something that needs doing, find the right person and ask them to teach you to do it and not do it for you. Then this lesson was usually paid for with labor of some sort. That being said, my wife's half brother is in his early 40's and has finally picked up on the humility part and has started asking for lessons, so not everyone has the same upbringing and opportunities which was a difficult thing for me to come to grips with.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

The ops Mgr at work told me one time, he couldn't work with his hands so he went into management so he could tell other people what to do.

I honestly didn't think you could be a good husband and father without at least knowing what basic tools do what jobs. You don't have to be an expert or pro, but at least know what you're doing. The men around me growing up all knew enough in the wood shop and garage. And the other lesson I learned from those men around me when young was humility: if you don't know how to do something that needs doing, find the right person and ask them to teach you to do it and not do it for you. Then this lesson was usually paid for with labor of some sort. That being said, my wife's half brother is in his early 40's and has finally picked up on the humility part and has started asking for lessons, so not everyone has the same upbringing and opportunities which was a difficult thing for me to come to grips with.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron
I disagree with this, not everyone pick an interest in these things and its alright. you can't have knowledge of something you're interested in. that doesn't makes you half a man. The plumber need the Mechanic and otherwise. and when everyone is done making money, we take it to the bank, We also need the cooperate people, most of them know nothing about tools and blue caller jobs but they play their role like everyone of us.

Around here it has nothing to do with STEM or shop in school. The son learns from the father for the most part. I live in rural farm country and most men are men no matter their trade they still service their vehicles, repair their homes, build stuff,etc. I think overall the problem comes from the trend of hiring out everything and never learning to do anything. There are more men every generation that just don't "get their hands dirty". You still see that here but much less than in more urban areas. It all comes back to the father and men around these boys growing up. I work a professional medical job but still weld, build my shelters, put in my own fence, fix my own plumbing and wiring, service all my vehicles and tractors and that goes back to what I learned to do from my men around me growing up. View of what is a man is very different though depending on location and demographic and basic abilities to work on stuff and do stuff outside your job is not appreciated or taught and passed down as a whole everywhere. Even down to simple stuff like taking care of your own yard and grass. Not good or bad I guess just different.

Last edited:
I disagree with this, not everyone pick an interest in these things and its alright. you can't have knowledge of something you're interested in. that doesn't makes you half a man. The plumber need the Mechanic and otherwise. and when everyone is done making money, we take it to the bank, We also need the cooperate people, most of them know nothing about tools and blue caller jobs but they play their role like everyone of us.

Oh, for sure, this is most certainly true. I didn't do a good job at emphasizing the past tense of my thoughts on the subject. I USED to think that a guy couldn't be a good father or husband without knowing a multitude of subjects. This enlightenment has come with experience and knowing many different types of men from traveling and working with guys from different backgrounds and cultures. But a man should still be able to figure some stuff out, and be able to find help (Youtube or a tutor) when needed.

Reactions: KnightCar
I’m probably around the age of your SIL (mid 30’s), so here’s my observation.

When I was a firefighter a few years back, the age range for my colleagues was 18-35 in my academy. Watching the overwhelming majority of them use ANY hand tool, let alone a K12 off of a ladder, was fucking scary. Then again, watching most of em swing a sledge or manipulate a halligan to make entry was pretty funny.

I grew up doing roofing and construction with my dad since I was 11, so the concept of not being able to use a tool or work with my hands isn't something I could imagine.

I remodeled our last house and had my 2yr old helping me. Well helping as in fetching small tools and holding cabinet pull templates lol. He’s 4 now and still wants to help in the garage and when I’m cooking. So that’s a good sign. Kid can also clear a hallway and pop a corner with a lego “gun” so he has that going, even if my wife hates it haha. It’s 2020, white males can’t be running around popping corners saying pew pew lol. It’s all about passing those life skills on.

First let me say that he is a great guy, a good husband and father to the grand kids BUT put a tool in his hand and its like watching a monkey trying to fuck a football. Is it just my son in law? Was wondering about others experiences....

He’s a good dad. That’s all that really matters.

My father in law wouldn’t know the first thing about a protective put strategy let alone creating a long straddle to capture vol right before earnings news...

I’m pretty handy with tools and can wrench small engines. But SUCK at welding. Haven’tneeded to spend much time on it.

We all take different paths...learn different worlds. Help others and teach what you are good at and we all benefit!

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I’m probably around the age of your SIL (mid 30’s), so here’s my observation.

When I was a firefighter a few years back, the age range for my colleagues was 18-35 in my academy. Watching the overwhelming majority of them use ANY hand tool, let alone a K12 off of a ladder, was fucking scary. Then again, watching most of em swing a sledge or manipulate a halligan to make entry was pretty funny.

I grew up doing roofing and construction with my dad since I was 11, so the concept of not being able to use a tool or work with my hands isn't something I could imagine.

I remodeled our last house and had my 2yr old helping me. Well helping as in fetching small tools and holding cabinet pull templates lol. He’s 4 now and still wants to help in the garage and when I’m cooking. So that’s a good sign. Kid can also clear a hallway and pop a corner with a lego “gun” so he has that going, even if my wife hates it haha. It’s 2020, white males can’t be running around popping corners saying pew pew lol. It’s all about passing those life skills on.
I had a similar upbringing to yourself, I'm 32. I do not use hand/power tools at my place of employment, but you'd be tasked a bit to find one that I couldn't use. I grew up building fence, welding, and other standard ranch work. First paying job was a commercial trenching crew running backhoes, boring machines, jackhammers, shovels, dump trucks, and whatever else.

Fire dept for 4 years, then off to school.

I am a son in law

I live on a farm so we’re always fixing stuff.
Son-in-law #1 doesn’t need supervision on much. Just odds and ends occasionally.
#2 kept breaking stuff and messing up a little so he told my wife a while back after helping me on the farm for a year or so that he thought his name had been changed.
Wife said what?
He said every time we talked all I said was “goddammit _______” so goddammit _____ seemed to be his name around me.:oops:

Around here it has nothing to do with STEM or shop in school. The son learns from the father for the most part. I live in rural farm country and most men are men no matter their trade they still service their vehicles, repair their homes, build stuff,etc. I think overall the problem comes from the trend of hiring out everything and never learning to do anything. There are more men every generation that just don't "get their hands dirty". You still see that here but much less than in more urban areas. It all comes back to the father and men around these boys growing up. I work a professional medical job but still weld, build my shelters, put in my own fence, fix my own plumbing and wiring, service all my vehicles and tractors and that goes back to what I learned to do from my men around me growing up. View of what is a man is very different though depending on location and demographic and basic abilities to work on stuff and do stuff outside your job is not appreciated or taught and passed down as a whole everywhere. Even down to simple stuff like taking care of your own yard and grass. Not good or bad I guess just different.
Agreed I was fortunate to learn a lot from my father they wouldn't allow me to work along side him on the F86's, or the machine shop. On the other hand in high school I had the opportunity to learn the basics of welding, operating the lathe and mill. Have always been interested in how and why something works and how to fix it.

I let a guy use my staple gun at the range once, it was a Stanley, you put the flat end on the backstop, and squeeze the handle. Simple right? I watch the guy hold the staple gun backwards and put the handle against the backstop and pushed it until he heard the click. He did this twice before he noticed there were no staples in his target. He looked at me, looked at the gun, and asked if it was out of staples. I was speechless so i just took it out of his hand, held it right and put two staples in his target, and handed it back to him, I'll be damned if i was going to do all his work for him. I can't help his daddy didn't teach him how to use a staple gun.
Since the elimination of "shop" classes in high school most kids would need to Google wrench in order to know what one looks like, never mind use one!!
Didn't Trump announce an initiative to bring vocational classes back to high schools last week? Thought he said something like that.

Reactions: tomcatmv
neither a lender or borrower be . the internet you can have your own delivered pretty fast or find a store they are everywhere .
it also works well with lending family money .

Reactions: Pbgt
First let me say that he is a great guy, a good husband and father to the grand kids BUT put a tool in his hand and its like watching a monkey trying to fuck a football. Is it just my son in law? Was wondering about others experiences....
That's like my nephew, raised by my liberal brother and his liberal wife in Marin county. Every stupid word he said growing up was god's gift to the world and we should all be thankful. They treated him like he was the newborn King. Now he's pushing 40 and still living with his parents. He had a hot blond girlfriend with spectacular tits but when she finally accepted he was never going have any money she dumped him. In his parents eyes he's a fantastic success just because one single time he appeared on Conan as a backup musician.
His car was running rough a few weeks ago and his mother tells my brother to drive it home, so he just rides in the passenger seat of his own car while his father takes the wheel! Like a girly girl except he's straight! And get this, I ask him when did he last have the car tuned up and he's says "what's a tune up?". He was serious. I swear this happened.

I ran a cabinet shop and went on an installation with a small crew. Owner sent his brother in law, who was new with the company and was a dental sales rep. Asked him to hole saw drill 2" drain holes in the backs of the base cabinets so the guys could mount em .
10 minutes later I see / smell blue smoke wafting out the door down the hall. He's been on the same cabinet since I left him.
Tells me the hole saw was dulled by someone and shouldve been checked before we left the shop. I grab the drill, switch it to FORWARD, and hand it back to him.

My wife gets a little offended when I tell my 7 year old son to get a specific tool from the tool chest in the shop because he knows them better than she does. It’s in the DNA. Just needs to be activated. Or maybe she’s jealous because she used to have to be the “go-getterer” of the tools before we had kids. ?

Found this here awhile ago.
1577390694536.png

Personally my bil's can't fix crap. Ones an uber driver and the other does credit card collections over the phone. I get along much better with the uber driver. My FIL tried to teach them but theyre idiots.

Me I'm a cnc machinist. My dad is a dyslexic colorblind chemical engineer that did plumbing and electrical work with his dad. I'm not as good as him on the electrical but I've done more welding and machining than him. I'm not too bad on mechanic stuff but I'd say he's better than me since he tore down his 66 cutlass (long gone) down completely.

I don't have Daughters so I don't have SIL's. But my boys know how to drive a standard shift car, mow a yard, run a chainsaw, change their oil, install a ceiling fan, weld, replace a light switch, repair a leaking drain, ect because they watched me and expressed an interest. I learned from my Father and Grandfather.

Like a few of you other guys, I live in a small farming community, although I'm not a farmer. The young guys around here for the most part learn how to do there things. They start driving tractors before they are 10 years old. And combines, tractor trucks, and work on all of this stuff. Many of them are leaving the farm but they are going into life with these skills.

Right before I retired they put a new set of tires on my company bucket truck. I used the stiff legs to jack it up for the tire guy. After he got all of the wheels off I ask him if I could do one of the tires. He said, hey you're pretty good, want to do the others. I said no, just wanted to see if I still remembered how. Its been a long time since I used a wedge hammer and a pair of tire irons.

Reactions: Walter Haas
I don't have Daughters so I don't have SIL's. But my boys know how to drive a standard shift car, mow a yard, run a chainsaw, change their oil, install a ceiling fan, weld, replace a light switch, repair a leaking drain, ect because they watched me and expressed an interest. I learned from my Father and Grandfather.

Like a few of you other guys, I live in a small farming community, although I'm not a farmer. The young guys around here for the most part learn how to do there things. They start driving tractors before they are 10 years old. And combines, tractor trucks, and work on all of this stuff. Many of them are leaving the farm but they are going into life with these skills.

Right before I retired they put a new set of tires on my company bucket truck. I used the stiff legs to jack it up for the tire guy. After he got all of the wheels off I ask him if I could do one of the tires. He said, hey you're pretty good, want to do the others. I said no, just wanted to see if I still remembered how. Its been a long time since I used a wedge hammer and a pair of tire irons.
Good job with your boys! In California boys are socially discouraged from showing competence because it makes the feminists unhappy. This is what has produced my nephew who at 37 years old, and straight, doesn't know what a car tune up is. WOMEN ARE TURNED OFF BY INCOMPETENT MEN! But he was raised in a feminist dominated home and now he can't hold on to a girl. This is all over California now. For example, I had a young couple renting a unit from me in San Jose. This guy was a moron and his girlfriend knew it and she was so unhappy with him. I mean, over live FaceTime video I asked him to measure the window width for some blinds and he takes the tape measure and measures from the outer edge of one molding on the left to the edge of the glass on the right! I said you need to measure to the same edge on the other side and his girlfriend says "give me the tape measure" and she had to take the measurements! She was so pissed with his incompetence. This is what feminism has brought to our country.

IMG_20190819_191840.jpg
my wife tearing down a 455 Olds motor. We have two daughters and they can change tires, oil and a few other things needed for their vehicles. They can gut and skin a deer and most small game.
But I raised them to get an education to be able to pay someone else to do some things and know when someone is bullshiting them.