• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Son,s first .22 what scope?

Knight6

Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
California, USA
Hi All, I am just buying my teenage son his first rifle a Ruger 10/22, and I am looking for the best scope on a budget of $250 max. I do not shoot .22 and have no real idea what would be best. He has plenty of experience shooting with me but with larger calibers, so he is no beginner. He wants to do some small animal hunting and target shooting. I have read some articles and there seems to be some mixed opinion between fixed 4x, 2-7x and 3-9x plus even some comments on needing larger zoom if doing longer distance target shooting. I have seen a number of scope makes suggested from Leupold, Vortex, Weaver, Burris, Bushnell, Barska, Nikon and BSA. So what do you guys think? Fixed, or multiple magnifications? If multiple magnifications, which 2-7, 3-9, something else? Any particular make you think is better than another? Any particular models you think would meet the mark, especially with a tight budget? Also most seem to come with either duplex or large duplex. He does not want a dot scope, any view of reticle?

Appreciate any advice!

Leupold 4x or 2-7 RM. Both excellent scopes. Weaver has the same models, about the same quality, for a quite a bit cheaper.

Personally, I'm a little blind and like more power if I'm shooting at the bench for drills/practice with my .22. I bought a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 and really enjoy it. It is versatile enough on 4x to hunt rabbits and on 12x I can watch my rounds impact on paper. Also, if he wants to use it longer range on other varmints, the extra zoom will be appreciated. I favor Vortex alot due to thier warranty. I know was a kid I was ultra careful with my 10/22 but accidents do happen and a "no questions asked" warranty might be nice in the event crap happens. Good luck and great job getting the kiddos shooting with ya.

Thanks guys, more comments welcomed. It is great shooting with your kids, no matter what age. Some serious bonding time! Bit of a pain when sometimes they get better than you, but then put that down to the teacher, hey!

Personally, I'm a little blind and like more power if I'm shooting at the bench for drills/practice with my .22. I bought a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 and really enjoy it. It is versatile enough on 4x to hunt rabbits and on 12x I can watch my rounds impact on paper. Also, if he wants to use it longer range on other varmints, the extra zoom will be appreciated. I favor Vortex alot due to thier warranty. I know was a kid I was ultra careful with my 10/22 but accidents do happen and a "no questions asked" warranty might be nice in the event crap happens. Good luck and great job getting the kiddos shooting with ya.

+1 for vortex. I too like a little higher magnification, but that's something you need to decide based on your needs. We can't do that for you. Other scopes I would entertain for the money would be Nikon, but ultimately I think vortex is the right choice.

I too was budget restricted when choosing a scope for my .22. I chose a centerpoint 4-16 for about 90 bucks. The glass definitely leaves something to be desired, but it's mil dot with target turrets which was important to me. I'll be looking to upgrade in the near future, but it serves my needs for now. I'll probably end up throwing a vortex on it in the end of the day. let us know what you decide!

Vortex diamondback 4-12. The extra magnification really helps, glass quality is pretty good, reasonably priced and of course the warranty. Accidents happen and the no questions warranty makes things much easier should he drop it.

Im not a big fan of the 1 power scopes as it never gets used on that powrr for a 22.

I have a 7yr old and 6yr old twins. Bought them all bolt action .22s for Christmas this year. They have been learning to use iron sights so far. Doing well too. It is great seeing them learn the responsibility that comes with handling guns. I am looking forward to getting them scopes some day after they master the irons. I have a 4X leupold on a 10/22 and have always thought the variable would have been a better choice for me. I feel a 3-9 would be about right. Just my 2cents. Enjoy the time shooting with your son.

Leupold 2-7 rimfire.
Been shooting rf for 50 years. CZ's Irons and the Leupold fine duplex win over them all at twice the price.

Iron sights, maybe even the Tech Sights, until he learns to shoot. Then let him use a scope.

I have to side with those who suggest master irons first but, I'm old school. Any of the scopes reccomended will work nicely. Ability to focus at short range in my mind is paramount.(15yds.) I side with leupold 2-7. Paralax is preset, no fiddling with nobs slowing down the fun. Enjoy!!

Teach them to use the iron sights first. Work on proper position, breathing and sight alignment. After they become proficient with those then let them use an optic. They will be better marksmen their whole life for learning to use irons first.

+1 on iron sights for learning.

depending on how often your son shoots I would say wait a year and then pickup the Weaver RV9,

IMHO it is the perfect duplex rimfire scope for general shooting / hunting.

Guys great advice. My son is already a good shot and shoots .223 and .308 plus pistol with me so he is no beginner. Agree that iron sights should come first. I am starting to get the hang of what folks are saying about .22 scopes. Now just got to decide on one from the great examples given. Leupold new just too expensive right now but can look for a good per-owned,Vortex also good, in fact most of the examples given are great. So lots of choice.

Really appreciate your in put. We will post what we choose. One really bizarre thing right now, or gun dealer cannot tell us when the 10/22 will arrive as it is on back order as supplies in the US are really low because of the buying frenzy. Who would have guessed you would have to wait months to get a 10/22. Mad world! Once the rifle arrives and we get it all together we will post some pics.

Parallax on Leupold RF scopes are preset for 60 yrds. Many standard rifle scopes without adjustable parallax are preset for 150yrds. Definitely something to consider when looking at a scope for a .22 or anything used for close range. I am sure 2-7 is a great scope. I still think if they offered a 3-9 it would be my preference. I do favor Leupold only because they have worked well for me. Most have a lifetime warranty not sure about the low end jobs though. Never had a problem with any of mine and I have had a few.
Wally

I have 2 nikon p22 scopes with bdc recticle 2-7 magnification. I love them. I can hit 3" spinners at 100 yards all day long from a bag and no wind or 10 inch plates at 200 yards off bipod. $149 right now from optics planet.

Hi All, I am just buying my teenage son his first rifle a Ruger 10/22, and I am looking for the best scope on a budget of $250 max. I do not shoot .22 and have no real idea what would be best. He has plenty of experience shooting with me but with larger calibers, so he is no beginner. He wants to do some small animal hunting and target shooting. I have read some articles and there seems to be some mixed opinion between fixed 4x, 2-7x and 3-9x plus even some comments on needing larger zoom if doing longer distance target shooting. I have seen a number of scope makes suggested from Leupold, Vortex, Weaver, Burris, Bushnell, Barska, Nikon and BSA. So what do you guys think? Fixed, or multiple magnifications? If multiple magnifications, which 2-7, 3-9, something else? Any particular make you think is better than another? Any particular models you think would meet the mark, especially with a tight budget? Also most seem to come with either duplex or large duplex. He does not want a dot scope, any view of reticle?

Appreciate any advice!

Another vote for this one. It might be overkill for what you're looking for, but I have one on my 10/22T. It's a great target shooting scope, adequate out to 100 yards, and the first focal plane is a nice feature to have at this price. IMO, for the features you get, it's the best $250 scope I've found.

BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10