• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Son's first rimfire

din

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
SLC, UT
I'm looking at getting my seven-year-old his first rimfire. I'd prefer not to get him something janky, but I have no idea what would be suitable. I was thinking about a 457 Scout, but I'm open to advice. Prefer to start him with a single shot with irons. Max budget is around $500.00.

Reactions: Westcoast308
CZ's would be good. I would get him something he can grow into. just load the mag with one round at a time. A Tikka T1x would be good also, but no sights.

I started my son with a 455 scout. He loved it, and it shot great. Fit and finish were as you'd expect from CZ and it came with a single shot adapter.

However, he very quickly out grew it. My plan was to pull it and get a full size stock or chassis, but he was kind of sentimental about it.

I ended up getting a 457 Varmint and immediately put it in an XLR chassis before giving it to him. He loved it because it looked cool and he's still using that same rifle years later since it was so adjustable that he never outgrew it.

So, my advice is to skip the Scout and get a 457 and put it in a chassis that can get a short LOP. Yes, it's over your budget but it will then be a rifle that he will never outgrow.

Tour some local pawnshops, gun shows, gun stores etc. Hundreds of good old SS .22 RF’s way under 500.00.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomyluy
I started both of my kids on a 452 scout at 8. My daughter was still shooting it three years later when my son came of age. I switched her to a 452 American when my son started shooting. At 12 I bought her a Kidd Supergrade and my son took over the 452 American until he turned 12 and got his own Kidd. Long way of saying that a scout has a limited lifespan, I accepted that and all was well. it may be different for you. It all comes down to whether the gun fits the shooter.

I started mine out on a Chipmunk but that was way before the CZ At One Varmint was a thing. That stock allows for quite a bit of adjustment in the length of pull.

Crickett.

I am bias to old wood and steel classics, so bear that in mind. But for starting in single shot and irons, the old Remington and Winchester single shots and mag fed bolt guns are great. I started my shooting with a mossberg 142K and Winchester 67, and you can find the winchesters ( and similar Remington 500 series guns) for about 100-150 bucks. They are far more accurate than given credit for, and are always nice to have around. I currently have a mag fed Remington 521-T, and it is also pretty nice. Many of the older mag fed rifles were capable of single loading into chambers with generous loading ports making single shot adapters unnecessary.
even though capable of being handled by a youngster, a lot of these rifles still feel good in adult sized hands too.

I know someone who makes 3D printed single shot adapters for the CZ457, Bergara BMR and probably more. I bought the two mentioned and they work well. Happy to connect you if you go either route, or look into what else he's offering.

Reactions: din
One thing with the CZ457 all models use the same action/bolt and there is a healthy aftermarket support for the model/platform.
You could buy him a "youth model that fits him well now and as he grows switch the stock out for something like a Bravo and if you wanted even swap out barrels for something like a Lilja, upgrade the trigger or even swap the barrel for a different caliber like a .17 or .22 magnum.

Then you do not feel like you are spending money today on a gun that has a limited use period that your son will soon grow out of.
The CZ can grow with him and has the possibility to follow quite a few different paths as an added bonus from a field hunting piece all the way up to a competitive rifle for nrl/prs types of competitions.

Go on Gunbroker and get a “Winchester Boys Rifle”

It’s the only youth rifle built like an adult rifle.

Both kids have one.

D0FB1CF9-3631-4790-B7BB-72B4FB2FAC10.jpeg

Pulling back the cocking piece can be tough for small hands but they will learn and you will be supervising them.

Buy a rifle with a full size wood stock, cut the stock to fit him and add the bits back on as he grows.
Just like adding spacers on the stocks of many rifles.

Still have my sons Marlin 915y SS. Single shot bolt, single feed, stainless with nice factory fiber optic sights.

I'm looking at getting my seven-year-old his first rimfire. I'd prefer not to get him something janky, but I have no idea what would be suitable. I was thinking about a 457 Scout, but I'm open to advice. Prefer to start him with a single shot with irons. Max budget is around $500.00.
You can’t go wrong with any CZ, as long your son stays engaged with a bolt action I say go for the 457. My 6yr old will shoot maybe 10 rounds out of my bolt action CZ 452 then I have to let him shoot a semiautomatic. I just slow him down with 10 mags. Sportsman’s has carbine style 10/22’s for $250 without sights or cdnn sports has light varmint target model for $390 with a scope. Then later if he shows aptitude and commitment to shooting make him “earn” a 10/22 tune up from CPC or a new barrel for the CZ. I think a fairly good/lightweight trigger is important for young kids because their hand strength and size just isn’t there yet for a 5-6 pound trigger. A know your limits spinner will be your best friend. I built mine with a big plate for open sights then taper down. My son has to put 10 shots in a row on the big disc with my great grandfather’s old Marlin model 60 with open sights then he can move to the scoped 10/22. The KRG Bravo is about the shortest length of pull stock out there if you end up in a 10/22. Enjoy that quality time.
Cheers 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_5720.jpeg
    IMG_5720.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
There are plenty of used inexpensive old school rifles out there. My most recent purchase was a Remington 521-T ( peep rear sight,magazine fed) bolt action for around $200.
can easily load single shot ( I shot a match requiring a 10 shot string before I acquired a spare magazine and did fine loading rounds one at a time into the chamber, and smaller fingers/ hands would have even less trouble )

when I was growing up, my dad taught my first lessons with a little mossberg 142-K handing me one 22 short at a time ( back then late 60’s/ early 70’s shorts were cheaper than LR) it was something of a special day when we had built enough skill and trust that he handed me a full 7 round magazine!
that rifle is still functional despite untold numbers of rounds fired and is now in the hands of my niece ( which would be dad’s oldest grandchild) to have her kids use.
I wouldn’t spend money on new with so many good old guns out there