• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Son's nrl 22 build

skinnj1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2008
midwest
My son expressed some intrest in shooting some positional 22 matches with me so I decided to take the norinco jw-15 I had bought as a beater kid gun into something better.

For those that don't know jw-15's are a copy of a Brno #2 and use the same mags as a cz 452 and 455 but have a different footprint and action screw setup.

First I had to press out the old barrel, no pictures but it it took some motivation with the shop press to budge the barrel. No pictures here.

Then I spun up a new GM rimfire blank to fit and milled the bolt guide and extractor slots and front action screw dovetail.
20181226_225751.jpg

I prefer glue up barrels to threading the actions on rebarreling a rimfire so I used a lathe as the jig / clamp as I glued the barrel to the reciever with cylinder retainer compound.
20181226_225842.jpg

Next I needed a stock so I raided the aluminum stash. Here I am burying the Kurt vise in chips as I turn a 5.5 lb block of metal into over 4 lbs of chips, mainly with a 2 flute high helix 3/4 endmill
20181224_090802.jpg

Then I milled out the M-lok compatible handgaurd and turned a kid length buffer tube and fit some assorted magpul bits and pieces and bipod

My son is excited with how it finished up tonight. Only things left that I know of we need to do is make a 30 MOA rail for tomorrow and sight it in as there is a match Saturday so painting or anodizing it will have to wait

20181226_225702.jpg

Not only will your son's friends be jealous, but everyone at the range will be too!

Did you design it from scratch or did you use an existing design as inspiration? Did you measure up the inlet from the receiver or did you find dimensions somewhere?

@Stickshift -there is definitely some design features that are similar to some existing chassis as there is only so many ways to skin the cat without more specialized manufacturing processes but it is far from a clone of say an AX or or Accurate Mag chassis. As far as I know there isn't a Norinco Blueprint outside of China and my Mandarin sucks. I drew up one CAD drawing to confirm my toolpaths for the receiver inlet, everything else was done on the shop floor with a calculator and measuring instruments, could have used the same process for virtually any other receiver. All in all it was mainly TLAR engineering (That looks about right).....

I was super impressed before, but reverse engineering the inlet is impressive. I know it's not hugely difficult, but it's time consuming to get just right. Very cool. Are you going to skim coat the chassis to get the bedding perfect, or are you happy with it as is?

That is just crazy awesome. Wish I had tools like that.

@308pirate

My wife has more patience than taste or good sense....she once graphed our power consumption and pointed out that I used more power in the shop in February than the household did in the summer with AC- when I am too busy with work , family, and shooting matches to play in the shop much.....

@308pirate

My wife has more patience than taste or good sense....she once graphed our power consumption and pointed out that I used more power in the shop in February than the household did in the summer with AC- when I am too busy with work , family, and shooting matches to play in the shop much.....

LOL.........

Scope mount made, even making the sloped mount stupid tall I ended up having to mill out the forend for the objective. We shot it at 25, 50, 75, and 100 (this month's nrl22 ranges) to confirm nothing was an issue. Conditions were lousy (cold ,wet, and 20+ mph switchy wind gusts but I am optimistic that .
20181227_223520.jpg

@reubenski

I appreciate your comments. Yesterday was s little hectic trying to get some work I had to get done, done and getting several rifles ready for the match tomorrow, I am usually the guy loading ammo the night before , after rebarreling the gun the week of....I pressed this barrel off last month but it was on the back burner as I was busy at work and playing with restocking Tikka T1x's in my spare time. Right before Christmas break my son announced he and his friend wanted to shoot the nrl22 match this month! So, the Saturday before Christmas I started on the barrel then the stock, working around holiday family- stuff there was some long odd hours in the shop. Some of it with my son helping. The excitement on his face when he broke position to exclaim about hitting the Nrl22 swinger made every moment well spent.

Here is my son and his friend sighting in their new rifles after a safety briefing and discription of what to expect at the match. I know their form is poor in picture but we didn't have a lot of time to work with them like I should have. We were losing light and a front was moving in as the air temp plummeted and it is my goal to keep youth shooting fun, not uncomfortable hard work -until they are ready for it to become so:
Resized_20181227_162534_1807.jpg

Here is the 100 yd tower as we get ready to confirm our dope as fast as possible. Son's rifle could hit the 2" steel as long as I timed the .2 1to 1 mil+ wind corrections as the wind went from straight into us then left to right and right to left. My prrformance with my tikka was similar and I know it shoots. If I was by myself I would have stayed till all light was gone as the conditions were "interesting" and I could have learned something but the group was cold, wet and muddy and fun meter for them was lowering.
Resized_20181227_170955_7259.jpg

My plan for this afternoon was to let a young US Army captain, home on leave from Benning, who married into a family I am close with, play with my limited and open guns as the USPSA bug bit him, then work on the boys positions as we get ready for tomorrow's match but I spent half the night in the bathroom with liquids shooting out both ends....hope I am not the weak link for tomorrow....

Skinnj1, this is one of my favorite threads ever. First is that your getting your son deeper into shooting and by virtue of that the outdoors. Like most younger people decisions rarely accommodate a reasonable time frame. His desire to shoot NRL was a right now thing. Your desire to accommodate the time frame was a hard task and you realized your undertaking. Nonetheless you got it handled.

Someone said they wish they had the tools. Well I can buy the tools tomorrow morning but I cannot learn the skills or gain the knowledge in that short period of time.

My congratulations to you, your son, his friend and his friends father. As I have already said, "one of my favorite threads ever."

Skinnj1, this is one of my favorite threads ever. First is that your getting your son deeper into shooting and by virtue of that the outdoors. Like most younger people decisions rarely accommodate a reasonable time frame. His desire to shoot NRL was a right now thing. Your desire to accommodate the time frame was a hard task and you realized your undertaking. Nonetheless you got it handled.

Someone said they wish they had the tools. Well I can buy the tools tomorrow morning but I cannot learn the skills or gain the knowledge in that short period of time.

My congratulations to you, your son, his friend and his friends father. As I have already said, "one of my favorite threads ever."

Agreed, I am loving this one!

Reactions: 0dd
After 14 hours of puking and Diarrhea, I told my son last night we probably were not going to make the match which also meant his friend wasn't spending the night to leave early the next morning. He took it very stoically and said there will be a match next month.

Felt kinda guilty and disappointed today , so after laying around for the longest I have in a long time, I asked him if he wanted to go back and shoot some. He was pretty excited by the idea so we drove back through the pasture under the premise that we wouldn't stay long (25 degrees), shoot a little and go back home.

We dialed in his dope and he was consistently impacting 3/4/ 5" nrl22 plates at 100 pretty quickly. After a box or so he said he couldn't feel his trigger finger but loaded another mag.

I let him try my rifle a little to see if the lighter trigger pull would yield hits on the smaller than 3" plates. His hits ratios were the same
20181229_170800.jpg

on the drive back through the pasture he said there were things he really liked more about his rifle than mine:

1. the scope (his is a athlon argos 6-24 mine is an ares etr), since the glass is a considerable step up on mine I asked him why and his response (using a kid's vocabulary) was the reticle ie. the floating dot was harder for him to focus on than the solid crosshair of his scope
2. the ergonomics of his stock, he didn't like the hand position that the more traditional shape of my bravo forced him to take prefering the the hand/wrist position of the chassis...

Attachments

• 20181229_170800.jpg
    20181229_170800.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 33
Sound like you spent a great time with your kid which is in my book the more important. There will always be another match.. Sound like he'll be a shooter and always remember his dad building him a rifle from nothing. Good on you sir

Reactions: 10ring1
This is really cool! Being able to completely build a custom chassis like that is really impressive. It's great you can do that with your son and spend time shooting together. I'll look forward to seeing updated photos after you paint or anodize the chassis.

You sir, are awesome. Brought back very fond memories of shooting USPSA matches with my daughter when she was a teen. She is 30 now and married. Time does fly. When my girl was younger she took a liking to my 1911s in 45ACP, and to my KFrame Smiths. Recently I was feeling a bit weighed down by so many guns i never shoot anymore and asked her if she minded if I sold a few of the revolvers. I was visiting her and the SIL in NYC. I live in CA. She told me in very direct terms not to sell a single firearm. Kind of surprised me because I did not know she cared. They were here this week for Xmas and she looked in the safe.
Make sure that your boy NEVER sells nor dismantles that rifle, even if he leaves shooting for a time. When he is 40 he will cherish it like no other other possession. Lots of young men have a rifle their dad bought them, or one of dad's rifles that they inherited. VERY few men own a rifle their dad made for them with his own hands. That is something special.

Last edited:
Kuddos to you skinnj1 - if more fathers spent anywhere close to this much effort at building a relationship with their sons, this country would be a whole lot more like it was 50-60yrs ago when kids had morals & values instilled by their parents. Not knocking someone who's got the means to buy a boy a new Vudoo V-22, but I think a rifle like your son's is cooler than cool, no matter what anyone else thinks. Best wishes for lots of good times shooting with your boy - 'specially after you get over that crappy flu bug!

Reactions: Seymour Fish
@flatland1

Dennis- Thanks for the kind words, they got me to thinking about my relationship with my son, my relationship with my father and my shooting career. I grew up around guns-literally at age 5 my dad's gun room/reloading room became my bedroom so there was a stack of ammo cans/primers/power/lead ingots under a reloading bench on one wall of my bedroom and above the reloading bench were all my dad's long guns -pre-64's, colt sp1, savage99's etc. all in simple racks and unsecured...I grew up enjoying my dads gun book and magazine library far more than my boy scout magazime (Boy's Life) reading Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, and Jeff Cooper at a preteen age. My dad wasn't a competitor and never had the time to take his kids to the range as often as we would have liked, as soon as I could drive I could go to the range as often as I could afford. I shortly discovered competitive shooting (USPSA) I was hooked and went to a lot of matches without a parent or legal guardian for years before I could legally have bought a beer. Lucky for me it was a different time and I never got hassled by LEO's or match officials. The first high power match I shot was with my dad's borrowed SP1 and it was less than optimal (mouseguns were not even popular yet), I was hooked again and so a whole summer's wages went into a M14/M1A. My father only watched me shoot a few matches (highpower, smallbore or USPSA)- it just wasn't his thing but he certainly sponsored me with things like a roof and food and occasional access to his powders and primers when I was low but for the most part I paid my own way shooting competitively as a teenager and into college. That is not to say some great men din't help me along the way like Col. Strannigan making sure that I had a match M1A and free FGMM ammo for my second, and third and fourth highpower matches or Dale Mitchell giving me a USGI NM barrel and fitting it for me for free and I have tried to pay that forward over the years.

This thread has got me to thinking about another way I could pay that forward- If there is anyone in the eastern ks / western mo area who is already a competitor (MOST, KPRC , or Highpower ) and you have a son or daughter that is not old enough to drive but in your opinion is old enough to compete in MillCreek's NRL22 matches with you, and you are confidant that they will shoot more than two matches in 2019 (don't want to help make a lot of fancy squirrel guns)- I will help YOU build YOUR son/daughter a stock similar to above and help you as you rebarrel your rifle if you so choose- you buy the materials, I'll help you do the work but you will do as much of it as we agree is safe for you and my machinery and all laws will be obeyed, free of any kind of payment and I will provide the snacks and cold beverages, PM me and we will work out the details.

@flatland1

Dennis- Thanks for the kind words, they got me to thinking about my relationship with my son, my relationship with my father and my shooting career. I grew up around guns-literally at age 5 my dad's gun room/reloading room became my bedroom so there was a stack of ammo cans/primers/power/lead ingots under a reloading bench on one wall of my bedroom and above the reloading bench were all my dad's long guns -pre-64's, colt sp1, savage99's etc. all in simple racks and unsecured...I grew up enjoying my dads gun book and magazine library far more than my boy scout magazime (Boy's Life) reading Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, and Jeff Cooper at a preteen age. My dad wasn't a competitor and never had the time to take his kids to the range as often as we would have liked, as soon as I could drive I could go to the range as often as I could afford. I shortly discovered competitive shooting (USPSA) I was hooked and went to a lot of matches without a parent or legal guardian for years before I could legally have bought a beer. Lucky for me it was a different time and I never got hassled by LEO's or match officials. The first high power match I shot was with my dad's borrowed SP1 and it was less than optimal (mouseguns were not even popular yet), I was hooked again and so a whole summer's wages went into a M14/M1A. My father only watched me shoot a few matches (highpower, smallbore or USPSA)- it just wasn't his thing but he certainly sponsored me with things like a roof and food and occasional access to his powders and primers when I was low but for the most part I paid my own way shooting competitively as a teenager and into college. That is not to say some great men din't help me along the way like Col. Strannigan making sure that I had a match M1A and free FGMM ammo for my second, and third and fourth highpower matches or Dale Mitchell giving me a USGI NM barrel and fitting it for me for free and I have tried to pay that forward over the years.

This thread has got me to thinking about another way I could pay that forward- If there is anyone in the eastern ks / western mo area who is already a competitor (MOST, KPRC , or Highpower ) and you have a son or daughter that is not old enough to drive but in your opinion is old enough to compete in MillCreek's NRL22 matches with you, and you are confidant that they will shoot more than two matches in 2019 (don't want to help make a lot of fancy squirrel guns)- I will help YOU build YOUR son/daughter a stock similar to above and help you as you rebarrel your rifle if you so choose- you buy the materials, I'll help you do the work but you will do as much of it as we agree is safe for you and my machinery and all laws will be obeyed, free of any kind of payment and I will provide the snacks and cold beverages, PM me and we will work out the details.

Dude, you are the man!! It is inspirational to fathers like myself to read and awesome to know we have a really great community here on the Hide. We need a lot more people on this earth like you.

skinnj1 - Sounds like I've probably shot with you at Buck Snort or Mill Creek, although it's been 7-8yrs at least since I shot a HP match at Mill Creek. Dad was the president of our small town's gun club when I was in grade school, though he didn't have time for anything more than trap shooting during the winter. I never had children of my own, so the best I could do was to take my nephews shooting once in awhile. I admire what you're doing with & for your son, and what you're offering to do for other youngsters.

So you did not pin the barrel back to the receiver, it is just bonded??
I have a old jw-15, always thought about putting a better barrel on it, it is just that the trigger is really crappy with a mile of overtravel.

Reactions: Bwana John
@flatland1 -we have shot at both ranges above together, I never really got over to hutch any and we may have shot at VanMeter also, the last match I am sure we shot together is the KS state service rifle championship the year you were high civilian service at Perry....

@whatsupdoc

Glue-ins are pretty common in the rimfire world , I use cylinder sleeve retaining compound whatever Permatex's # for loctite 609, you cant get the 601 border barrels reccomend in their instructions in the us
http://njshooting.tripod.com/FITTING A .22 RIMFIRE BARREL.htm

You also will not be bfh'ing it out like you can with a annie as it is a much tighter interference fit, I machined a fixture and was using a brass mandrel as the pusher and the bolt diameter mandrel bent before the initial "pop" in the 30 ton shop press. Norinco JW15's can be tricky to find the vertical pin as they blend those into the reciever surface and it is one of the few surfaces they actually finished right sometumes.

Triggers can be reworked, there is at least 1 jw15 that did ok at national level BR50 events...for my son's gun I swapped out the trigger spring and hand polished a few surfaces, did not even surface grind them. If you Google you can find some instructions from Australia on trigger jobs on them....

Last edited:
Nicely done man. Sucks you all missed the shoot yesterday it was a cold one out there though. Need to make it down to the shop and replace the barrel in the old Mark II FV.

@flatland1 -we have shot at both ranges above together, I never really got over to hutch any and we may have shot at VanMeter also, the last match I am sure we shot together is the KS state service rifle championship the year you were high civilian service at Perry....

Hey, skinnj1, you've got me confused with one of my good friends from the Hutch club - Greg K. has been hauling home trophies from Perry, but I've never been to the Nationals. I won the Ks. SR champs at Mill Creek in '03 & '04, but pretty well gave up shooting SR not long after that - the vision just isn't up to the task anymore.

No problem, I'd like to be as good with a SR as Greg is, but even when my vision was still good enough to shoot the AR with irons, my offhand sucked, while Greg's brought home the gold for high offhand as well as high civilian SR.

Weather turned awesome today so after work, I hit the range with son and his friend from school.Did some 50 yard barricade work and 100 prone. Today he was hitting the 1" nrl22 spinner @100 yes prone
20190105_145558.jpg

20190105_145227.jpg
20190105_152510.jpg

Dittos on the weather today -it's been beautiful all afternoon out here too. But it's so dad-burned sloppy, I didn't even try to get any shooting in, even though I have a brand-new Krieger 6x47 Lap on a M70 that needs zero'd & broken-in, and have just installed a 60 MOA rail on the Kukri V-22, and need to see if I can get a 50yd zero with it. Instead, I did the responsible thing, and changed the oil in my pickup - oh, and took this photo of a bobcat sunning up on the old collapsing roof of an old granery.

Great to see your son & friend enjoying their 22RFs - if they keep at it, they're going to be tough to beat by the time they make it into high school.

Attachments

• DSC_1177.JPG
    DSC_1177.JPG
    444.6 KB · Views: 50
Today was my son and his friends first Nrl22 match. His first stage (pick a target, any target 4" or less at 100 off of chairs and barricades)he got pretty down on himself because he had trouble getting a stable position. We had to have a talk about the importance of 1. Be safe, 2. Have Fun 3. Learn something even if it takes lots of misses
to learn...

STAGE 2 was the positional stage and the weight issue, of the rifle, reared its head, (its 11-12 lbs he is 85ish) he opted out of standing /kneeling and shot sitting and prone for fewer shots opting for better more controllable hits.

Stage 3 was it's cold laying on my belly, he hit the .25" swinger both times and all was right with the world....his friend did great on this stage also hitting the .25" both times

Stage 4 was probably shouldn't dial- both boys got decent hits on this one confirming their dope was on...this was my best stage- clean, dialing each shot, with over 47 seconds to spare!

Then we shot a bonus stage off a cattle gate, both boys handled themselves great again, making the best positions they could and getting some impacts

Finally they ended up on paper, his friend got a little quick on the trigger (semi 10/22) otherwise his score would have been higher, my son stressed out about the 50 % weakside shots and we had that "talk"again. He shot his only "10" weak side so hopefully he learned something about not being to hard or negative....I started paper with aMike, checked dope and yep wrong ddoe, had to take 1.9 mils out, task load of getting them through first - I didn't do my routine, my lesson learned...

Both boys had great muzzle control and gun handling, I was super proud, and they had fun....

Thanks to all the RO's for being great and everybody who looked for my son's mag for 10 minutes after the line was empty of gear (he found it in his pocket, lesson # not sure for him...)
20190126_140516.jpg
20190126_130101.jpg

Sounds like he had fun even with the cold. I sure hope he did better on the gate than I did.

I was the one that had the 40MOA shift on the paper stage. :eek::)

Excellent work! Good deal getting the young ones out shooting, my daughter is really expressing interest in shooting with me too. I'm waiting until it warms up a little to get her started. Love it!

Good follow-up from your first thread about the rifle you built for your son. It's good to see both of them having a good time with this, and learning more & more about how to adapt & get hits from improvised positions. Hard to imagine a more enjoyable way to spend quality time with your son, while mentoring & watching him learn lessons with every stage he shoots. Congrats to you both!

Our local club is starting this shoot in March. May give it a go. I have been looking for a silo shoot in this area (SWPA) for years but this looks cool. I have watched some utube vids and trying to gather all the info I can for the shoots.