• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Sony 65” OLED vs Lg 75” QNED?

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Hey Gang,

Family of 4 and we are in the market for a second tv. This new one will be used as the main tv upstairs and the current one will go downstairs for the kiddos.

We aren’t gamers, and we don’t spend a ton of time watching tv. Mostly stream shows and movies, and some sports.
Budget is in the $1500 range. The two we’re looking at are the LG 75” QNED85 mini-LED or the Sony A80Ck OLED which is a 65” screen.

We were leaning OLED since the 65” should be a good size without taking up the entire space between two windows, but I worry about the ambient light issues. Plus I mean 75” would be kind of cool.

Below is a picture of the upstairs living room and the couch is 12’ from where the tv would sit. A 75” would fit between the two windows, but not with much wiggle room (roughly 2” on either side).

So for our casual use what would you experts choose between these two, or another good option in the $1500 range? I’ve been going back and forth and can’t make up my mind. I’m leaning towards the LG QLED 75” more for the brighter screen. The one negative about OLED’s that I read about was that they just can’t get as bright as the QNED and that’s a bit of an issue in a room with a lot of ambient light. We have a lot of windows in the living room. We do have blinds we can close, but we rarely use them just because we love our view.

So enough rambling. TV’s are not my area of expertise and after reading all the reviews and pros and cons I’m left undecided. Figured some of you on here might help me make the call.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 11E98EFA-7B7D-4238-9169-745EAEA44B42.jpeg
    11E98EFA-7B7D-4238-9169-745EAEA44B42.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 81
Size is pretty much up to you for proper "fit".... However I currently have a Samsung with OLED technology and I can say that the picture quality is amazing and the OLED has no black/white bleeding which has been a problem with earlier technologies.... Probably won't go wrong with either but I'm pleased with OLED.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Only thing I have to say is fuck LG. They could make the best "xxxxxx" and I refuse to buy it. This is after having owned their appliances for 10 years, absolute garbage, can only get parts from them and cs blows goats.

All I would say is don’t cover up that awesome view out your windows! Whatever fits that gap is good to go.

I sat in front of a buddys 85” for the first time yesterday, and from 20’ away it’s like a damn imax. That’s way to big for your space 🤣

I’ll never buy another Sony product. It’s a long story I won’t bore you with. We’ve gone the Samsung route the last few years and couldn’t be happier. LG is reportedly just as bad or worse than Sony in terms of reliability. I’d be careful.

It’s like a diamond, the bigger you go, the better quality you better get or it’ll be noticeable in resolution/quality. I’d go 75 though with that distance from the TV honestly…if it fits. I’d stay away from the bottom of the line series from any manufacturer

Outer edge of the blue tape is the 65” rectangle and the other two would be the 75”. Kind of leaning QNED for the supposed brighter screen and ability to handle ambient light, but I’m still on the fence. Both are more than enough size to work. Especially since we’re more of a casual tv watching family. There is something about the bigger screen for movie nights that appeals. Tough call. We tend to buy a new rv every 10 yrs so I don’t want to make the wrong call.
DA73D2A4-5E09-4391-AE27-9034F48F9AB6.jpeg

I would get whatever ~60" you like for say 500$ unless you want to jack off on the internet about how you have the latest/greatest LCD panel technology. Pay attention to the on screen menus and how hard it is to navigate/how many options you have for picture quality.

All of these TVs, even the 200$ cheap ones are space age compared to the 25" zenith I grew up looking at.

Damn I love the view out that window reminds me of where I lived in California. Right now I'm in the supposedly "nice" part of Arizona and it's a toilet by comparison.

I would get whatever ~60" you like for say 500$ unless you want to jack off on the internet about how you have the latest/greatest LCD panel technology. Pay attention to the on screen menus and how hard it is to navigate/how many options you have for picture quality.

All of these TVs, even the 200$ cheap ones are space age compared to the 25" zenith I grew up looking at.

Damn I love the view out that window reminds me of where I lived in California. Right now I'm in the supposedly "nice" part of Arizona and it's a toilet by comparison.
The views are awesome! This is the small town of John Day Oregon. Have to drive 3hrs to the nearest Costco, Walmart, etc. But amazing place for those who don’t like bigger towns. Not to mention you can get a 3600 sq ft house with these views for half of what a 2000 sq ft home would cost in most places.

Attachments

• E60F4EF4-96E3-4476-BEC1-78009EF869DC.jpeg
    E60F4EF4-96E3-4476-BEC1-78009EF869DC.jpeg
    755.8 KB · Views: 60
With a room like that, forget the TV. Send me 50 K and Ill set you up in a audio system that will make you're buddy's jealous and your'e neighbors sleepless.

RCA's.jpg

Samsung S95B

Go and buy NOW.

You can use AAA for discount if not EPP- eligible.

This is a smoking deal.

Can get delivered or pickup at Bestbuy depending on store availability.

Best TV.

Be *careful* when handling.

They also have an 85" if you have the room:

These are being blown out as 2023 models are coming in Feb

(I have zero connection to any above sites, I do own an S95B and it is phenomenal.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Maggot
Samsung S95B

Go and buy NOW.

You can use AAA for discount if not EPP- eligible.

This is a smoking deal.

Can get delivered or pickup at Bestbuy depending on store availability.

Best TV.

Be *careful* when handling.

They also have an 85" if you have the room:

These are being blown out as 2023 models are coming in Feb

(I have zero connection to any above sites, I do own an S95B and it is phenomenal.)
Seems S95B a different price $2600 now. Let me know if still $1890

Seems S95B a different price $2600 now. Let me know if still $1890

Are you a AAA member (or eligible for Samsung EPP?)

They had a link to go through where you verified you were a AAA member, then all the discount pricing was activated. I bought the 55" S95B this way a few days ago.

Try the AAA link in this thread:

There is a AAA link in that thread that may work: https://tinyurl.com/5fjz84nn

Hit the "shop now" button and it will ask for name and zip to verify you are a AAA member. Then click through to TV you want. lmk if it works or not so I can adjust post if needed.

Reactions: db2000
I’ve had a Sony OLED since 2019. It has been fantastic. I also have a Vizio and some Samsung’s. As far as the OLED not getting bright enough, I have not had that problem and I have 10’ tall Windows in the living room. With that said, I only get most light in there until about 11am then the sun starts over the roof and while still bright in the room it’s not competing with sun beaming in during the times I normally watch. I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of them. With that said, Id stick to 65” as others have mentioned. I’d not want to detract from that view with an overbearing TV.

I have an LG OLED. Fantastic picture when they're nee. Not the brightest but bright enough. The problem becomes more apparent a few years down the road when you get "burn-in".

It's not actually burn-in (even though that's what they call it), but dimming of the LEDs that get used the most. So you're color uniformity goes all to hell.

This picture is full screen yellow on my 4 year old display. LG told me to pound sand because they say it's caused by having the brightness too high...

Full screen red shows obvious dimming of the red LEDs in the screen center

Attachments

• ref.png
    ref.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220924_102054.jpg
    20220924_102054.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 26
I have an LG OLED. Fantastic picture when they're nee. Not the brightest but bright enough. The problem becomes more apparent a few years down the road when you get "burn-in".

It's not actually burn-in (even though that's what they call it), but dimming of the LEDs that get used the most. So you're color uniformity goes all to hell.

This picture is full screen yellow on my 4 year old display. LG told me to pound sand because they say it's caused by having the brightness too high...

Full screen red shows obvious dimming of the red LEDs in the screen center
And this may be the reason Sony wins out. They have some kind of tech, forget what it’s called, to keep this from happening.

Are you a AAA member (or eligible for Samsung EPP?)

They had a link to go through where you verified you were a AAA member, then all the discount pricing was activated. I bought the 55" S95B this way a few days ago.

Try the AAA link in this thread:

There is a AAA link in that thread that may work: https://tinyurl.com/5fjz84nn

Hit the "shop now" button and it will ask for name and zip to verify you are a AAA member. Then click through to TV you want. lmk if it works or not so I can adjust post if needed.
Yeah, “Shop Now” link isn’t working on the AAA site.
I’m Logged in and everything. I’ll give them a call.