• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Sooty LC brass in RRA

PorkChop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Iowa
I loaded up some new Lake City 08 loads and ran them through the OCW test. All the cases seemed excessively sooty, I then shot some other loads with winchester brass which only had a light soot around the mouth and neck. Is this typical of LC brass or is my reloads? Also the Win. loads used varget powder.

Gun: RRA 20" varmint, wylde chamber,1/8 twist

Load: 77gr. SMK
22.9-24.7gr in .3gr increments
RL-15 powder
Rem. 7 1/2 BR primers
Virgin LC 08 brass
It was about 40 degrees also.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Re: Sooty LC brass in RRA

stick with varget it is cleaner and not temp sensitive
lc brass is 556 not 223 so it will be a little dirtier
when i shot highpower i used a rra comp rifle with the wilde
it loved lapua brass and 77smk w 23.9 varget loaded mag length

good luck with your rifle they shoot well

RL15 is fine for 223/5.56. I use 24 gr RL15 and pretty much the same components. Maybe post a few pics.

Was all the LC brass sooty? Or just the lower loads. I shoot LC brass, RL15, 75 BTHP Hornady, wolf primer and anything over 23.5g shows pressure signs so I would think your higher loads should seal the neck/shoulder just fine. Maybe try a different primer (a little hotter and holds 223 pressure better like the wolf SRM or AR15 version).

All the LC brass had soot on the bodies even the higher loads which was unexpected. This is my first rounds of this brass, usually I use Winchester or R-P and RL-15 with no problems. I had no signs of pressure even on the higher loads. I may clean the brass and reload with varget as bkster suggested. Would some cci primers be a little hotter? Maybe they will seal up on the second firing. I do not know though. A big thanks to all advice.

I took a few pictures but they are not good enough quality to show the soot.