• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sort-of Gunsmithing Question re: Torque Wrench

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Hey gents,

So to make a very long story a whole lot shorter...I loaned my 25-250<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">FT/LB</span></span> torque wrench to someone and I'm not going to be getting it back. I had it for many, MANY years...so long in fact that I honestly don't recall the brand or model or much of the specs...just that it had always served me well for 2+ decades.

Since I now need to replace mine, I thought I'd ask for the intelligence and experience of folks here on what would be good options. Here are my general uses and requirements if it helps the discussion any:

1) general household/automotive uses;
2) some gunsmithing, including but not limited to AR upper receiver assembly/disassembly, including barrel and FF handguard installs (both AR-15 and AR-10/variant uses);
3) something adjustable in the range indicated above;
4) micrometer style (although I'm not objectionable to some of the new electronic models I've seen if they are worth a damn, etc.);
5) 1/2" drive;
6) accurate enough for the above-cited jobs/uses, repeatable, well-made, etc...and I would HIGHLY prefer USA-made if possible; and
7) Budget of roughly $200 (or less if possible) would be preferable.

Thanks in advance, guys. It is much appreciated as always.

Re: Sort-of Gunsmithing Question re: Torque Wrench

Well, you've ruled out the dial type like Snap-On Torqueometer, but you're not going to find a better wrench at any price (at least according to my Snap-On guy
smile.gif
), but they are a bit out of your price range.

They're what we used in my engine room when I was in the Navy and I used one for several years as an auto mechanic. My brother is still using the same one some 25 years later.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

Snap-on are generally well kept by those who buy them, so buying a really good used one on EBay might be a way to go. You will find your needs for under your budget price on EBay. I know because a bought my two from there. Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned the same Craftsman for 20 years. It doesn't 250 however. </div></div>

The only problem with that is that yesterday afternoon as I walked through the Sears tool dept at my local store, every torque wrench I saw in stock (mostly their Micro-click [sp?] models) was made in @#$%ing China!! That's certainly not the Craftsman I once thought I knew!! Same thing with the one in-stock torque wrench that Lowe's had when I checked there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, you've ruled out the dial type like Snap-On Torqueometer, but you're not going to find a better wrench at any price (at least according to my Snap-On guy
smile.gif
), but they are a bit out of your price range.

They're what we used in my engine room when I was in the Navy and I used one for several years as an auto mechanic. My brother is still using the same one some 25 years later.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog </div></div>

I honestly have not used the dial-type wrenches in the past. My "requirement" list above was more or less an effort to get something as close to what I lost as I could best remember. I may try to lay my hands on one of the dial-type and see what I think. Thanks for that info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snap-on are generally well kept by those who buy them, so buying a really good used one on EBay might be a way to go. You will find your needs for under your budget price on EBay. I know because a bought my two from there. Best of luck. </div></div>

Thanks for that, Ozzie! I am thinking that the one I lost was a snap-on, but I swear I honestly cannot remember to save my life. I know that brand is well-regarded so I'll keep that in mind when I start looking around based on your suggestion and that of GP above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I honestly have not used the dial-type wrenches in the past. My "requirement" list above was more or less an effort to get something as close to what I lost as I could best remember. I may try to lay my hands on one of the dial-type and see what I think. Thanks for that info.
</div></div>

I think a lot of people are confused on the operation of the Dial type wrenches from Snap-On. You turn the dial to the torque you want and when you apply torque, the needle deflects back to the zero pin. When the needle makes contact with the pin, a light comes on letting you know you're at the right torque. You can follow the needle so you know when you're nearly there and there's no extra inertia of the "click" to throw your torque off.

I've picked up both dial-type and clicker-type Snap-On wrenches from eBay for under $100. The trick is to be patient, obviously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gene Poole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a lot of people are confused on the operation of the Dial type wrenches from Snap-On. You turn the dial to the torque you want and when you apply torque, the needle deflects back to the zero pin. When the needle makes contact with the pin, a light comes on letting you know you're at the right torque. You can follow the needle so you know when you're nearly there and there's no extra inertia of the "click" to throw your torque off.
</div></div>

That makes perfect sense...thanks for the explanation.

All of mine came like-new off of ebay. I have 2 Proto and an Armstrong. I don't think I paid more than $45 for either; people often overlook some of the other industrial tool makers that make top tier products (Proto, Armstrong, Williams, SK, Wright, etc.)so you can get some great deals. Most of SnapOn's stuff is made by other companies.

proto and armstrong make good torque wreches. when i did radar sites for a living i had a couple of each ranging from 10 inch/lbs to 1500 ft/lbs and they held up great for the 11 years i had them. had to have them calibrated every year and all of them always passed without issues even doing several 1000 cycles a year

around the house i have a mac inch/lbs dial wrench, a 15 year old craftsmen click style that goes to 150 ft/lbs and a matco 250 ft/lbs click style. they all come in handy for setting up gears and building/rebuilding motor's, transmissions and transfercases

Hey ORD - just go to the source and PM Boris (Borka). He'll give you an honest opin and education on this stuff.....and names of who he'd rec.

IMO

You are not going to do much "gun smithing" with a 1/2" drive torque wrench except for installing barrels. If you want to do it right you will need a few different torque wrenches. I would recomend the Borka for all your gun working on needs (less barrels) and it will not break the bank. As far as the other stuff you can got he used route but I am very particular about my torque wrenches, but of course I use them every day to build Cat diesel truck engines. All mine get checked regular and recalibrated if need be and all are Snap On, but light duty use at home you dont need that. A used quality wrench should serve you well. Just remember they loose accuracy at the extreme ends of their torque range. You can always use German torque = Goodntight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are not going to do much "gun smithing" with a 1/2" drive torque wrench except for installing barrels. If you want to do it right you will need a few different torque wrenches. I would recomend the Borka for all your gun working on needs (less barrels) and it will not break the bank. As far as the other stuff you can got he used route but I am very particular about my torque wrenches, but of course I use them every day to build Cat diesel truck engines. All mine get checked regular and recalibrated if need be and all are Snap On, but light duty use at home you dont need that. A used quality wrench should serve you well. Just remember they loose accuracy at the extreme ends of their torque range. You can always use German torque = Goodntight. </div></div>

Hey jbell,

I understand exactly what you are saying. I already have a Borka and other high-quality in/lb torque wrenches/drivers that are dedicated tools I use for "gunsmithing" such as scope/ring installs, action screws, etc., etc.

This wrench I'm looking for now is a general purpose one just to replace the one I lost. As I have not had to purchase this sort of wrench for a LONG time now and I don't spend much time in the tool market, I'm just getting an idea of what folks are using/recommending/staying away from/etc. I appreciate your insight. A quality, used Snap-on is looking like a good option for me based on recommendations, price point, etc. I also know a guy that works for Grainger who is going to check some prices for me once I know exactly what I want.

Thanks again to all for the input thus far!

I prefer the split beams. One finger adjustment and no need to unload when done using. Precision Instrument used to be Snapons supplier. Tooltopia has good prices and free shipping. Link

Once you find your slightly used Snap-on on Ebay track down your local dealer and have him send it in for calibration. Cheap insurance