• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sorta new guy with range results (Finally)

Get Hard Art

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
La Crescenta, CA
Hey guys. Just would like to say that lurking and finally joining these forums have been absolutely instrumental in becoming a better shooter. Made a bunch of mistakes and made a lot of decisions that have ultimately made me utterly addicted to long range shooting.

I started with a Remington 700 sps .308 with pencil barrel. Using 168gr. FGMM and a Millett TRS-1, I ended up with these results which should be of no surprize to anyone...

All pictures were shot at 100 yards prone with 168gr FGMM:

image1.jpg

And when I actually got used to the rifle and got a correct 100 yard zero I ended up with...

image.jpg

Since this first range visit, I joined the forums and started talking to a few people who I felt would give me solid advice. Since then, I've acquired a H-S take-off stock from a 700PSS and also had a 700P 26'' take-off bull barrel put on by an awesome gunsmith and all around great person. I also upgraded my rings and mount to Badger Ordnance and got a 3-9x42 SS since I "was" planning to hunt but the trip fell through.

Here's my new results after the mods and tons of correction to my form and understanding of rifle recoil thanks to the help of those on this site:

image3.jpg

And...

image2.jpg

Might not be much to probably 99% of you but I'm proud of my results as this is my first bolt-action rifle, let alone first caliber above 22LR for rifle... I hope to get a whole lot better with a better scope and tons more range time. Any advice and info is ALWAYS appreciated.

P.S. Thanks for not banning me Lowlight lol...

Re: Sorta new guy with range results (Finally)

Looks pretty good to me. I'm in a similar situation to you. Been on the site for a while now, soaking it in, built a rifle, and now am trying to improve. Already an addictive hobby, but very much worth it!