• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sorting Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
A question for those of you who sort brass based on neck thickness. What do you consider to be the acceptable variance of thickness?

I have the Sinclair neck sorting tool. Is the Sinclair's .001" resolution sufficient for culling non-uniform-necked brass out of a batch?

Thanks
Rath

Re: Sorting Brass

the only people i ever see sort brass by neck...is/are manufacturers that produce custom match ammo....and they test it via sporadic sampling right from the shipment drum....

depends on what your chamber is.
chambers .003 clearance or less , i sort to .001
chambers .005-.008 over, I sort to .002-.003 or so
big fat sloppy chambers dont bother, sort by bullet runout only.
bullet runout is more indicative of concentric/true ammo especially when chamber is "spacious".....I THINK....

Wow, i was expecting something totally different. My reply was going to be:

Pick the biggest ones ya know on sight an work down from there much less frustrating..or smallest..

eg: 300mag to 223 or 45acp to 9mm
c'mon ya guys know its funny...good luck w/ the necks

Thanks bugholes, my chamber will be 0.340, my measured rounds are 0.338 so I guess I'll sort to .001/.0015

GN-LOL

Buy a neck trimmer. No sorting, they are all the same and concentric. Have the chamber a tight neck for the trimmed necks. Other wise, why bother. If you want to reload like the benchrest guys have your rifle built like one also.

Turning (trimming) necks is a PITA.

Lube inside of neck. Expand neck that is .001" over turner mandrel. Chuck case in drill. Trim on adjusted case turner. Clean lube.

On a non-factory 6PPC, trimming is an absolute must. I've tried it on my .308 and it makes no visible difference.

The other problem with neck turning is that you will need different bushings if using a bushing die. If you don't use a bushing die, there is a risk that the thinner necks won't properly grip bullets anymore.

I would recommend it only for tight neck chambered rifles.

--Rootshot

That specific tool is used to check the runout on case necks and the thickness. Most people that turn their case necks have a device very similar to this.

If you have a factory chamber, it's a lot of work for little return. But making sure you don't have thin & thick spots will help some.

If you turn case necks you're probably going to have to get a bushing die. At least so you can vary the neck tension to get it right.

Most benchrest shooters are more initiated to these type instruments than they would want to be.

Good luck.