• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sorting Components: How low do you go?

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
When sorting components how low do you splice your piles. Do you divide all components by tenths of a grain? Do you go with different degrees of accuracy for different components?

I'm just starting reloading and I'm going purely for accuracy. Please fill me in on your method. I don't necessarily plan on sorting all components all the time, but I would like to do some test batches of 10 or 20 sorted rounds here and there just to see what my results look like. I'm just not sure what level of precision is enough to eliminate variables due to variations in particular components.

I'm loading for .308 Rem 700 AAC-SD in XLR chassis. Barreled action is stock. Thanks.

I guess define accuracy. We talking benchrest, 100yard, 200yard, 1k yard, etc. It does make a difference.

When you speak of sorting, what are you referring to? Brass, bullets or ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

I don't sort at all. Mixed brass, bullets aren't sorted, powder thrown +/-.1gr or so. Still shoots half moa.

I doubt I'm a good enough shooter to be able to see a difference. Nor is my stock savage 10fcp-k really capable of showing it more than likely.

I shoot f-class and don't weigh primers or bullets. I use Berger bullets and they are spot on. I purchased 400 Win brass and sorted by by 50 rd lots and ended up with lots varying .4 gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

I could use more of a response on this. I will be shooting from 100 to 1200 yards.

Is it sufficient to sort brass into 1 grain buckets? Is that too broad or too fine?

What about other components?

Thanks.