• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sorting once fired .308 brass

Jäger Wilhelm

Minuteman
Nov 26, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I have a fair amount of LC and LC Match brass that has been fired through various rifles (M1A Super Match, Ar10(T), and Steyr SSG) and I always stored it all together over the years. Now that I am getting ready to load my own precision rounds, I am not sure how to resize brass for a particular rifle when I don’t know which rifle I fired it in. Or if it even matters. I just bought Redding Type S sizing dies (neck S for bolt and FL S for semis, with a case resizer to use with the neck S if needed). My plan moving forward will be to segregate the once loaded brass by the rifle in which it was fired, but to start off that way it is too late. Should I just use the FL S resizer on all the brass to start this process moving?

Once I reload should I even segregate the brass by individual rifle? Or is by semis and bolts good enough?

When I fire more LC or LC Match in the future I can easily save it by rifle, if is does indeed matter that much.

I might be suffering from “information overload” by reading so much on FL and neck sizing S dies, and might be making this more complicated than it needs to be. I have been reloading pistol for decades on two Dillion 550Bs and never worried about this before.

if u plan to only neck size, u need to shoot the brass in the same gun... if you are FL'ing it, u can shoot it in any...

if your shooting out of a semi, u MUST FL the brass...

as for shooting mixed brass in the same gun, once you have you load, load 10 in each brass brand you have, and test, if it all shoots the same, no problem... if you get big FPS swings from brand to brand, take note... or if accuracy changes...

and yes, start off with a FL on all... then go from there...

Last edited: