• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sound moderating shed: Noise abatement

Arnolt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2021
USA
Folks. I live in an area that is semi-rural and it is legal to shoot where you are 500 feet from an occupied dwelling that isn’t the landowners.

I have a couple safe and legal places to shoot at short ranges on my property. I am respectful of my neighbors and (unlike my neighbor across the road) limit my shooting to half an hour or so on weekend days.

Despite this, I have an anti neighbor who complains any time I shoot anything other than the currently unobtainium quiet 22. I guess he has my number not our friend across the road.

so, I’d like to construct a shed that moderates the sound level.

My understanding is that NFA rules would not apply because a “silencer” applies to a device attached to the muzzle, not a non portable structure— any legal experts care to opine?

Does anyone have any experience with building such a shed? designs, ideas, plans?
My concept is a linear 4x8 shed with progressively smaller angled plywood baffles covered with sound deadening blankets to the exit aperture (the kind used for generator covers) going end to end, and the shooting chamber insulated with egg crate acoustic foam. Basically a shed sized Maxim design using sound deadening blankets.

ideas and thoughts welcome.

A few years back, I had a Browning A-Bolt with the BOSS brake on it.

I took a deer from an enclosed plastic deer stand.

Even with the brake out the window, my ears rang for a few days.

I sold that gun a few weeks later and vowed to never shoot within the confines of a stand again.

Block the neighbors phone number and carry on.

yeah i try to shoot out of my garage. at least 3 sides have some sort of sound attenuation.

The USAMU Test Shed has all kinds of attenuation built into the structure, much like what you're looking at: baffles, egg-crate type foam, test stand built inside the building (garage aperture secured with a rolling-type door when not in use) with raised earth berms on either side of the shooting lane and nice, stagger-planted tall white pines atop the berms.

It still sounds like you're shooting a rifle from inside a structure.

1616101669011.png

Last edited:
I think your idea would work but your neighbor will still be an anti gun dick and whine about your shooting.

As far as noise abatment, the roof over my clubs firing lines are lined to absorb sound and we have berms around our range. Some of the neighbors complain even though we are in the approach path to the local airport. The county and state say that the neighbors might have a point if the airport closes.

I shot from inside a barn for years. Middle of my parents large, rural farm. Shot to 600 yards. Out a small door. No one around. One day I was sitting at bench fooling with my rifle between strings. A friend looking for me walked past the door. I was very surprised. It was a tragedy waiting to happen. I never shot from inside again. Be very careful.

Query the interwebs for Swiss Schiess Tunnels (no joke): "They are called Schallschutztunnel, are some 2.5 meters long and aborb most of the muzzle blast noise of a shooting range with some 20 db maximum."

I've seen them like small A-frame structures of acoustic dampening foam/rubber. I've also seen them built from a 6' cross section of concrete culvert pipe and then covered in earth - likely need to dampen the inside too.

There are commercially available solutions for those with deeper pockets, https://bullettrapusa.com/SoundAbatementRoom.html

Personally, I'd tell the neighbor to GFY and block the number.

Reactions: Snuby642
I shot from inside a barn for years. Middle of my parents large, rural farm. Shot to 600 yards. Out a small door. No one around. One day I was sitting at bench fooling with my rifle between strings. A friend looking for me walked past the door. I was very surprised. It was a tragedy waiting to happen. I never shot from inside again. Be very careful.
Listen to this man^^^^ I have seen many examples of people shooting out of houses that invite accidents.

Anechoic Panels. These can be used to partially/completely line the inside of your shooting structure.

Alternatively, build a shooting box. Two 12'x4' Plywood panels can be built into a longish square tube, 2'x12', and lined with the above panels. Support it at bench height and shoot through it.

A problem with all such structures, including the rubber tire stacks, is that they tend to attract stinging insects which use them to build their nests inside. It can get pretty gnarly after that first shot.

Something I also always do is inspect beneath my shooting bench for ticks before setting up to shoot.

People also like to claim that your bullets are hitting objects on their property. By shooting through the shooting box, physical evidence exists that such claims are false and malicious.

I'm setting up to try a Linear Compensator to see what, if any, benefit they offer. They are supposed to direct sound forward, which may have some benefit if used in conjunction with the shooting box.

As for the neighbor, they will eventually be pestering LE to remove the problem. Remind the officer that, as long as local noise/firearms discharge restrictions are met with, their presence on your land constitutes harassment.

Greg

Last edited:
So a year later, I'm reviving this thread as I'm wondering if the OP or anyone else actually 'built' one of these structures.

My wonderful rural farm is now surrounded by McMansions and Connecticut Douchebags who complain with every shot. I tend to tell them to f-Off... But it's a pita for my buddies on the PD to get endless calls. And sooner or later, these assholes will do something like petition the town to ban shooting anywhere and stuff like that. It's what douchebags do when they move to the country and want to screw it up.

One neighbor in particular built his house right on the property line and when I shoot... fires fireworks at my property. He did that one day when a couple of off duty officers were here with their kids... shooting .22's on my range. He hasn't done it since. But he is an asswipe.

So thinking about doing a shed or structure to use my 300 yard steel. And the 'only' realistic place puts the muzzle blast cone right near his roof. So... I'm trying to make an effort.

Had not thought of the tires... but I like it. And anechoic tiles is a great idea. It would also be a good place to 'store' stuff, have a spotting scope bench, etc. Not guns. Just a nice way to keep gear 'handy' and ready to go in the summer. Most of this would not be for shooting all afternoon or hundreds of rounds. But for things like load development at short ranges. And convenience. Is the scope sighted? Fireforming a few cases, etc.

So... anyone follow through with shed? Have plans. Feedback on how did it work? Photos?

Sirhr

PS. I do have suppressors. But on .308's, .338's and .300 WM... they don't do that much good. And I just ordered a .338 suppressor, too.

Reactions: Average guy
I have a buddy that has used one for years shooting in his yard. IIRC it was several car tires together with insulation in them and maybe a plastic barrel or two at the end with some sort of, maybe plywood baffles. Though he was mostly shooting older, slower stuff, lots of subsonic level stuff so it worked better obviously.

LGS had the "tires lined up concept" to test his gunsmith work. The store was inside the east end of town. Worked for him. Big enough to aim through, open enough to see around.

Thank you,
MrSmith

I’m thinking a shed building with a small door to access the sound abatement tunnel. That would keep the bench and associated space weather proof. Open say a 4’ square door to shoot spot. On the tire idea, a smaller diameter tire might be feasible. Like a 14” car tire, versus a 17-20” light truck tire. I would definitely make the entrance to the tunnel smaller than the exit. Should help keep fumes and such lower.

Shooting through a tire tunnel will drive you insane.

In Finland, some shooting ranges have these car tires build tunnels.
They do work, but huge on size and only one direction to shoot, if you dont do some kind of rack for it.
And it blows back some pressure, specially if you shooting with muzzle brake on:LOL:
:LOL::LOL:

Maybe a plywood baffled box with eggshell foam lining.

Back in my skunk slaughtering days the stinky pussies would run into the culvert on the end of our driveway thinking they were safe in there.

I used my 870 with a 3 inch heavy turkey load to grease the little bastard in the pipe and my son said he hardly heard the shotgun go off and he was standing right next to me when I cracked the primer. I was laying in the ditch and had about 3 inches of my barrel in the culvert. All I heard was a "pongggg" come out of the culvert. I guess I should add that it was a 12 inch culvert.

Maybe you can get away with a length of plastic culvert to quiet your shooting. Not one of my neighbors heard me grease the seven skunks.

Back in my skunk slaughtering days the stinky pussies would run into the culvert on the end of our driveway thinking they were safe in there.

I used my 870 with a 3 inch heavy turkey load to grease the little bastard in the pipe and my son said he hardly heard the shotgun go off and he was standing right next to me when I cracked the primer. I was laying in the ditch and had about 3 inches of my barrel in the culvert. All I heard was a "pongggg" come out of the culvert. I guess I should add that it was a 12 inch culvert.

Maybe you can get away with a length of plastic culvert to quiet your shooting. Not one of my neighbors heard me grease the seven skunks.
Interesting idea....

And my 300 yard range here at the farm needs only a fairly narrow field of view.

I have some interesting ideas formulating to do something for prone shooting. Would look like, basically, like landscaping but would be able to redirect sound upwards, I think, pretty effectively. Think of it like a revetment...

I remember when I used to drive into the facilities at Crane years ago, there were all these huge ammo storage 'bunkers' that were built into the ground, but had berms, etc. between them so that if a bunker went up, it would direct the blast upwards and not cause a chain reaction. I am thinking something like that, but on a small scale. My shooting 'area' is on high ground. So if I can direct sound up, it really attenuates what the 'neighbors' hear.

Hummmmmm.... off to look at overheads of Crane ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Average guy
All I heard was a "pongggg" come out of the culvert.

I made the "terrible turret", a prop at my club for various matches. A six foot or so long length of maybe 18" wide corrugated plastic pipe on a swivel, that sits of one of those big wooden wire spools.

It's first use was for a knock down steel shotgun match. An 170 degree arc of about 18-20 targets you engaged through the tube as fast as you could. "Boing! Boing! Boing!" Loud and concussive! 3/4 of the way through the tube would be filled with smoke making it harder to see, your eyes started to burn, you were breathing in the fumes.... "Boing! Boing! Boing! Boing! Boing!" Good times.

Our rifle range is in a coulee. Pistol bays have berms 18' tall.

One of the neighbors is friendly and not only uses the range but runs his tractor over and does some snow removal to keep it usable in the winter.

Only thing he notices is the sporting clays range, as it's the only one without any berm to direct the noise up. Can barely hear anything outside his house, and he's about 300 yards from the pistol bays.

And sooner or later, these assholes will do something like petition the town to ban shooting anywhere and stuff like that.

Pre-empt them now. They are going to try no matter what you do regarding muzzle blast, so may as well get ahead of them.

And fuck trying to please them. They will never be pleased no matter what you do but you will never be able to walk back any abatement that you do now without being questioned.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
Anyone forced to shoot a braked rifle though a culvert at a competition would not do so voluntarily....

If not in violation of any ordnance, carry on.

Pre-empt them now. They are going to try no matter what you do regarding muzzle blast, so may as well get ahead of them.

And fuck trying to please them. They will never be pleased no matter what you do but you will never be able to walk back any abatement that you do now without being questioned.
This.

It’s probably not the noise, it’s that someone is firing a “weapon of war” nearby.

Let the cops come, keep shooting after they leave and have an attorney write up a strongly worded letter and call it a day.