• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sound of getting shot at

madppcs

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2011
    Forest hill, Louisiana
    Yes I already know what it sounds like. Yes I have been shot at already, Yes alot of you guys probably know as well. Still a cool video

My wife knows...here she is spotting for me at 600yds down by the target. Accuracy test of an M110 clone. The bullet has gone trans-sonic as you can hear the shot before the impact. No worries, she's shielded from the bullet.

l7h9.gif

My wife knows...here she is spotting for me at 600yds down by the target. Accuracy test of an M110 clone. The bullet has gone trans-sonic as you can hear the shot before the impact. No worries, she's shielded from the bullet.

Open sights?

Trans sonic at 600yds? You have a 12" barrel?
    Good point. Upon reflection, I'm shooting FGMM .308 175g otm at about 2650 fps. At 600 yds, velocity is around 1650fps. At 100 degrees fahrenheit, the speed of sound at sea level is about 1150 fps. I suspect that the video has some degree of error between syncing audio and video accounting for the appearance of the bullet going sub-sonic at 600yds.

Last edited:
    I was working the pits at the Whittington Center and had 50 cal rounds going over my head at 1000 yds. Sounded like a sharp crack as the were still super sonic.

Had 22 calibers flying by while I was on a scaffold building a chimney, sounded like bumble bees.

Reactions: madppcs
    I can see 308 impacts at 1000 with half that much magnification
    There are times in the summer when I can’t see a target at 750 yards to even shoot at because the mirage is boiling so hard much less an impact at 1000. I bet that’s what @buffalowinter was dealing with.

Mirage? Or just eyesight getting bad?
    This was pre-cataracts surgery, plus my eyes have been damaged. Gray bullet mark on white plate is not exactly high contrast and after a couple of shots, the bullet splatter has made it virtually impossible to distinguish hits.

Garand Thumb is always fun to watch. I have been shot at a few times with a .38 by thugs. They missed, which is not suprising but close enough that I could hear the wheet! passing on my left and the "thunk" as it hit the wood trim on a wall behind me. That does get your attention.

AK-47, I thought they were going to quote the whole line from "Heartbreak Ridge."

I helped run a range that was dug in the side of a mountain. On the backside of the mountain I had a deer blind. Walking on a jeep road to the top of the hill I was above the range and along side it and bullets hitting the 500M berm would richochet overhead making a buzzing sound, some made a low moaning noise. No telling where they ended up on the ranch but you could tell by their path they were curving.

It was kind of neat hearing the bullet strikes before the shot. Click-boom.

1672196340410.png

1672196416420.png

They shot almost a 100 of these at us when I was in Iraq. You know those stories of shit sounding like a train going overhead? The 240mm sounded like a train going overhead. The 107mm rocket you usually heard when it exploded. We had one hit a brand new crew cab chevy truck thru the windshield, it was kind of cool. Everything in front of the cab was perfect, everything behind the cab was perfect, all four wheels and tires like new and it even sat sorta level, but the cab was a bulging black char with a hole thru the floor and the transfer case was on the ground. It had 125 miles on it.

Pulled targets in the pits for many years in F class. After some experience you could hear the difference between the screaming fast F Open rounds over your head at 1000 yards and the slower FTR .308 rounds. Big crack vs little crack.

What really had an impact (pun intended) was when a shooter didn't have enough elevation dialed in scope and shot the berm at 1000 yards. Made a huge thud. If you were lucky and was your target. A clump of mud and grass would hit your target and you would have to re face. :)

View attachment 8031885

View attachment 8031886

They shot almost a 100 of these at us when I was in Iraq. You know those stories of shit sounding like a train going overhead? The 240mm sounded like a train going overhead. The 107mm rocket you usually heard when it exploded. We had one hit a brand new crew cab chevy truck thru the windshield, it was kind of cool. Everything in front of the cab was perfect, everything behind the cab was perfect, all four wheels and tires like new and it even sat sorta level, but the cab was a bulging black char with a hole thru the floor and the transfer case was on the ground. It had 125 miles on it.

Those rockets all sounded like she banshees man... Never forget the first time I heard on of those bad boys coming in that was something else

IMG_0131~2.JPG

Did they let you keep all the souvenirs? The Air Force had a strange fixation with collecting them and they got pissy if anyone tried to keep them. I was kind of surprised that someone actually kept count of the numbers of rockets, mortars and RPG's that came flying into the base.

I'm glad you made it home.

Reactions: JR_77 and madppcs
    Been downrange of suppressed shots impresses me. But I always wonder what someone who has not been around them would think the sound is.

When I first heard bullets snapping over my head, I looked over at my buddy and said “that sounds like someone is snapping a rubber band on a red solo cup in my ear.” 🙃🤙🏻

Happened to me back when I was 13 and it is something I will never forget. Myself and friends were hanging out in a bad part of Sacramento. There was apparently some shit about to go down, but I guess I disillusioned myself into thinking it was all talk. First feeling was the feeling of paralysis and immediately followed by time dilation which caused everything to go in slow motion when I finally started running. I don't know which was worse sounding, the sound of the bullets zooming by me or the sound of them hitting the ground all around me as I was running. Needless to say that was the last time I was ever seen in that area.

I heard it too, when I was 13. My mom and I were walking back to deer camp, and some jack-wagon decided he needed to target practice...in the deer woods. 😡 Whatever he was shooting at, the bullets were ricocheting and passing about two to three feet over our heads. We hit the ground hard and started yelling to stop firing. I’ll never forget the sound, or the limbs and leave moving just above our heads. It was both scary and impressive at the same time.

Reactions: WAMBO