• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sour Dough Balistics

Snuby642

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Sour Dough Balistics

Exactly what it sounds like.
    Less components than reloading and thousands of recipies to make a loaf.

Didn't want to stomp on nom nom nom thread in Maggie's so here we go.

20231120_170010.jpg

We have had sour dough going for a few years now, never killed it. 100% king arthur flour

We make sour dough bread, not the traditional round loaf as shown above, but more like a sandwich bread loaf.

We also roll it flat and fill it with either very thin sliced or chopped pepperoni and shredded mozzarella and then roll it up and make like a stromboli out of it

Have also made sour dough dinner rolls

And also made some damn amazing pizza out of it with homemade sauce (both cooked in an oven and also on a grill)

1701390199114.png

1701390245804.png

I'm so glad I live close to a small town bakery that turns out some amazing Euro style breads, with an incredible sour dough that is usually sold out before 9am. I don't have the time or the patience to learn to bake well from scratch, but I absolutely love breads in most all forms. My waistline is also glad that bakery is three towns over and not on the way home.

There's a bakery in Bishop Ca. that makes a "chili/cheese/onion" filled sourdough that stomps the crap out of anything I've come across.
    No, it's not "chili's" but "chili" as in Texas Red.
    3-4 slices equals a full meal.
    It's this place...
    They do it in stone ovens that are like 100 years old or something thereabouts.
    Since the website seems down for maintenance right now...try Yelp.

I miss clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl on a sunny day on the pier in San Francisco, those sourdough bread pictures look great. I’m not the guy to lead the militia however😆
    Well this crew is a mix of experience and will need some advisors.

I have learned from a few stupid mistakes.

1. Can't make starter from bleached flour.
    2. City tap water needs filtered.
    3.bread flour works but slower than a 300 blackout.

Well that's just great.
    Smuggled black market sour dough starter.

So now we'll have feds lurking about, pretending to be a part of the sour dough militia.

Should be able to spot them as they won't have cast iron Dutch oven burn marks on them from trying to get the hot loaf out.

Well that's just great.
    Smuggled black market sour dough starter.

So now we'll have feds lurking about, pretending to be a part of the sour dough militia.

Should be able to spot them as they won't have cast iron Dutch oven burn marks on them from trying to get the hot loaf out.
    I felt like I was in blow trying to get that shit on the plane. I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong, it was under 4oz, but I sure as fuck felt like at any moment I was gonna be arrested. You should have seen the dudes face when he opened my bag

“What’s dis”
    Sourdough starter
    “What’s dat”
    Idk man my wife wanted it
    “Aite den”
    Aite den yourself good sir

My wife got her starter from a friend that has had it going for the past 10 years.
    My wife has made starter for her sister from the discard after she feeds her starter. It’s amazing how the stuff just keeps going as long as you feed it.

That is one beautiful loaf!!
    She is good at it! Hopefully get her to make a loaf this weekend. About time to make a pot of stew to have with the sourdough.

Ohhh I forgot about the bagels she made! 🤤damn they are good! She makes cheddar and jalapeño cheddar.

Couple months ago tried making some bread for first time. Some did ok most not so good. Reading up on topic sour dough is the "advanced " art. I'm no real cook but can get by. If do any searching there's a ton of recipes, which one would yall recommend?

Sour dough pancakes are the best!! Also use it for making tortillas and in pizza crusts.

Wife got her starter almost 50 years ago from a neighbor. Was told it came from Alaska during the gold rush up there.
    Sourdough pancakes is what started my love of starter. My grandmother made them....topped with her apricot jam or apple butter......what I'd give to sit at that table again.

Couple months ago tried making some bread for first time. Some did ok most not so good. Reading up on topic sour dough is the "advanced " art. I'm no real cook but can get by. If do any searching there's a ton of recipes, which one would yall recommend?
    That is the biggest problem with making sour dough bread.

A dozen components to choose from and thousands upon thousands sets of instruction and books.

If you buy a starter and don't get good instructions on how to feed and store it your screwed.

You only need a small handful of tools. If you don't have a kitchen scale to weigh things in grams you will end up trying to follow half ass instructions.

Not to say half ass instructions that measure things in coffe cups wont work but I think need a hands on mentor available for support.

Pictured is a cheap set of scales, a used pork skin container cleaned and used to store flour. A funnel with bottom cut out to help keep mason / ball jars (2 ea) and table cleaner.

20231128_115331.jpg

Standard Bowles etc. and not shown cheese cloth to use as a breathable lid, rubber band to mark height of starter in jars and a 5 qt Dutch oven .

I will give you 2 things that are like command level directives when making starter.

1.The flour can not be bleached or brominated.

2. Use filtered water or well water. Chlorine or whatever is in city water kills starters on about the 3rd day.

I was hard headed and tried my best to break both those "rules"

Last edited:
    That is the biggest problem with making sour dough bread.

A dozen components to chose from and thousands upon thousands sets of instruction and books.

If you buy a starter and don't get good instructions on how to feed and store it your screwed.

You only need a small handful of tools. If you don't have a kitchen scale to weigh things in grams you will end up trying to follow half ass instructions.

Not to say half ass instructions that measure things in coffe cups wont work but I think need a hands on mentor available for support.

Pictured is a cheap set of scales, a used pork skin container cleaned and used to store flour. A funnel with bottom cut out to help keep mason / ball jars (2 ea) and table cleaner.

View attachment 8285468

Standard Bowles etc. and not shown cheese cloth to use as a breathable lid, rubber band to mark height of starter in jars and a 5 qt Dutch oven .

I will give you 2 things that are like command level directives when making starter.

1.The flour can not be bleached or brominated.

2. Use filtered water or well water. Chlorine or whatever is in city water kills starters on about the 3rd day.

I was hard headed and tried my best to break both those "rules"
    Do you grind your own flour or do you purchase it?

I have been doing a mixture of each, as I like the flavor that home ground flour adds. 100% makes dense bread if you like that, but I prefer it a little softer.

Great thread!
    Nice loafs!
    I personally have never made a loaf of bread, but a few years ago my better half went down the sourdough rabbit hole. Made her own starter from scratch! It is awesome! Her and the girls make delicious bread.

Do you grind your own flour or do you purchase it?

I have been doing a mixture of each, as I like the flavor that home ground flour adds. 100% makes dense bread if you like that, but I prefer it a little softer.
    I am a rank beginner to sour dough bread making.
    I have with considerable difficulty and multiple tries made my own starter out of Gold Medal bread flour.

I was told that was not the easiest way but it has managed to live grow and produce a couple decent loaves.

I started this thread to gain (mostly) and share knowledge and a place for the true artisans to show off and share thier skills.

As always since the parent sector we reside in is the bear pit we should make fun of ourselves.

I spent 2 weeks trying to make starter from bleached and bromated AP flour.
    (Stupid Snuby642) lol

Here is a good tutorial on making a starter from a major vendor.

Things to know.
    You can scale the ammount of starter you make as long as the ratio by weight is the same to get it going.

Once you have a starter that works properly you can feed it and store it in the fridge for a week or more without the feeding.

Quite a number of years ago, I made a lot of sourdough bread. We had a starter that worked great and developed strong.

Then, through life changes and priority differences, we've cut out a LOT of bread from our lives. I've still got some of the starter that we'd developed, though I completely dried it out. For that "one day I'm gonna..." moment of getting it going again. Maybe this winter. Who knows, we'll see.

But yeah, a well developed starter AND a good recipe that works in your locale is a great thing. If you're interested in taking things to the next level, the best buns we'd ever made here were sourdough kaiser's.... and even better than that was the sourdough Yorkshire pudding's!

But I digress....

Ya I tried the cutting of carbs out of diet and lost weight.
    Hard to maintain that so sour dough is supposed to be a better option than regular bread.

Please share your burger bun recipe. That is on my hit list to go on some of this seasons ground venison burgers.

Last edited:
    Here is a good tutorial on making a starter from a major vendor.

Things to know.
    You can scale the ammount of starter you make as long as the ratio by weight is the same to get it going.

Once you have a starter that works properly you can feed it and store it in the fridge for a week or more without the feeding.

That’s pretty good information in that article, plus I just got 20% off my next order😆👍
    we made a sourdough loaf today, garlic and Rosemary flavored, really tasty. I’ll have to take a picture, really nice crust and interior.
    Lunch was sourdough bread and homemade cauliflower / ham soup.
    Great pictures gents, love that bread oven.

Told Santa I wanted this.
    Maybe I wont burn my fingers as much as the 5qt with the bail in the way .lol

Funny even Lodge has a picture with useless to me, parchment paper that can
    be eliminated with proper seasoning.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    So the steaming of the bread inside the dutch oven for the first half is a real thing.
    Who makes a similar cast iron, covered loaf pan?

We use a lodge ceramic coated cast iron pan. The wife pre heats it to 495 degrees I believe, then drops the dough in with parchment paper and covers. Can’t remember how long she cooks it for then she will take off the lid and cook the bread until it’s finished.

We use a lodge ceramic coated cast iron pan. The wife pre heats it to 495 degrees I believe, then drops the dough in with parchment paper and covers. Can’t remember how long she cooks it for then she will take off the lid and cook the bread until it’s finished.
    Same here, ceramic coated steamy goodness

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
    Some of my best childhood memories are cat fishing with my pops on Saturday afternoons. Then my ma would take us to church while he stayed home and made beer batter catfish and sourdough pancakes. He probably got more beer than the catfish but the result was awesome. Their starter came from his aunt, I fucked up one she gave me a few years back and am too afraid to ask for another. Aunt Sheila doesn't fuck around when it comes to SD, 80+ and still a natural red head. I will not disappoint that woman out of fear.

Ask for another and tell her the dog ate it.

I'm going to make another backup for the fridge. That's what I am using at the moment because something I forget what got slipped into my working batch.

I remember the dog trying to steel something from the table.

So what happens when you swap 2/5ths of your bread flour for medium rye and add 2 tablespoons of caraway seeds.

I noticed it was slightly dry but my starter was looking strong so it's doing bulk rise overnight in the refrigerator.

No particular recipe just freelancing based on books and videos.

Well I don't expect the fridge or oven to blow up in my face.