• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Fieldcraft Source for jute

INgunner54

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Tactical concealment is currently out of single strand stuff. Is there another reputable place to get single strand stuff other than separating strands for hours?

I buy the 1 pound, 4 strand rolls from Walmart. I wrap it around something that gives me the right length then I cut the strings. I use Rit dye to dye the bundles brown, dark green and Kelly green. I tie them into the netting and hot glue them in place. Then I put strips of camo canvas blanket you can also buy from Walmart.

I don’t separate before weaving them in. I loop in a four strand fiber then I sort of comb it out, fluff it up with my hands. My next step is to put it into a commercial dryer to finish fluffing it up. I won’t put it in the dryer at home, learned that lesson.

I’ll put in elastic bands last.

I bought some jute that was synthetic, it does suck but it still works.

I’ll get a few pictures of the one I am working on.

Reactions: diverdon
They may not have exactly what you're looking for, but try Michaels. I've found stuff there I didn't know I was looking for.

Hobby lobby has burlap and dye as well as pre-dyed burlap. They also have netting.

Walmart also sells printed burlap. I cut it into 3/4” strips and mix it in with the rest of it.

This is a picture before I matched the pants with the top. The top is a desert parka with netting hot glued into place. Then after each bundle of jute is tied in I hot glue them individually to the parka.

It is bulky but not too heavy. I am also going to make a lightweight one with much less jute.

3D305BF5-FF59-4977-8154-0392FFDD2B0E.jpeg

Reactions: TigernLionGSP
I got it done, took some time, but all done and worked well in school. Thanks for the replies.

As a word of caution, that printed burlap from Walmart is some cheap water based paint. It will wash off and run when it gets wet. So don’t expect the color to stay. Otherwise it’s pretty good at getting bulk burlap at discount prices.

Home Depot sells natural fiber twine and rope I started with today. You can find green, light tan, brown

Polypro twine can also be used.

I've used this stuff in the past, the white version.

I was able to dye it with liquid Rit, and make rope for my Scout Troop that consisted of Red, White, and Blue strands. The brown version can be used as is, or dyed darker (green, black) the same way. The Troop's Red-White-Blue cordage was quite an eye catcher, but it was also easy to spot when somebody boosted some of fit.

Pure white can be used a a very brilliant and bright snow Ghillie, and unlike Jute, the Polypro strands do not absorb water; so a Ghillie won't suddenly take on a bunch of weight once inundated with water. It won't dry rot, either.

Polypro can be degraded by long term exposure to sunlight. They add black pigment to some to prevent that.

Greg