• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Source for Remington 700 SS SA

CrazyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Virginia Beach
Am going to embark on a home built 6 or 6.5 mm rifle project when I get back from deployment. Have researched chambering and the action truing process. Have identified and priced the neccessary hand tools. Am looking for a source for actions. A Google search returned plenty of barrelled and/or trued action options but no current stocking seller of 700 SAs. I look forward to your suggestions. CJ

Re: Source for Remington 700 SS SA

No need to look any further, fnp hit it on the money. The actions come blueprinted from Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. I purchased a barrel from Bugholes and I received it in a week. You'll be GTG with him.

If you're going the Homebuilt route and want to do the truing at home too you can order one direct from Brownells, dealer prices are pretty good if you can get a friendly FFL to order one for you.

If you're not looking to do all the truing yourself too then I'd go as was suggested, straight to BugHoles. The actions come with a dual pinned recoil lug already too.

Thanks FNP, Jammer, and Bohem. SPR has a Trued product and Brownell's doesn't list SS SAs as an option. Had looked there before posting. Sent them an email. Want to give "Truing by hand" a shot. Got the idea after reading Bohem's Caliber Choice post and digging into the 6 and 6.5mm options. That led me to Brownells 5 part how to build your own rifle series.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13577/GunTechdetail/A_Remington_Rifle_Build___Unplugged_Part_I

A mans got to start somewhere. CJ

Got this email from Brownells re: 700 SS SA

"I’m sorry, but Brownells will not be stocking a Remington 700 SA SS Action in the near future."

Still looking. CJ

Thanks C.Dixon. I checked the website earlier and found only "trued" actions. I'm in Iraq so its not practical to call. Is "Bugholes" a Hide alias for someone at SPR who can answer questions? CJ

Greg Young (Bugholes) is the owner of Southern Precision Rifles. He and I talk fairly often and my impression is he's a squared away individual. Greg is good peoples.
smile.gif

The actions he carries (Remington 700's) are in fact "blueprinted"/trued, etc. I did all the work. If you'd like more detail on that there's a small menu of threads on here showing the details. You can also visit my site under the "process" section that will illustrate also.

Basically its an effort on his (our?) part to offer a guy one stop shopping for a new in the box receiver to build a rifle on. The most important part of the whole deal is to ensure the guy doing the barrel work understands the threads are now 1.085x16. Turn the cylinder to 1.08-1.082 and fit it just like any other Remmy 700. Pretty simple stuff.

They also have a pinned recoil lug measuring 5/16" thick. This makes it nice for bedding/switch barrel guns.

Hope this helped and hope Basrah has cooled off since I was in Iraq. (06-09) It was a pretty dangerous place back then. Lots of IDF.

Stay safe.

C.