• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Source for Schneider USMC Contract Barrel?

Belvedere

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
Massachusetts
Looking for a source for a Schneider USMC contract barrel since it appears that Gary has sold his business. New owners have no blanks on hand. I tried to contact GAP with no answer. Looking to piece together a M40A3. Thanks!

Sorry to hear. Hope the new owners can start turning some barrels soon.

Damn, sorry to hear. I spoke with him about six months ago when ordering M40 barrel blanks and he mentioned he was going to retire from the day to day ops but the business was staying open. He mentioned hiring one or two barrel makers to keep things going.

wow I had heard the rumors but didnt expect him to leave that fast. Just got my barrel from him in June or so.

The new owners or people running it might be updating their order process if they arent taking new orders. He was a bit old school and you just sent a check and note saying what you wanted and you got added to the pile.

Keeping blanks on hand? Gary never did that for me:oops:
If you want a Schneider barrel call up and place an order like GAP does.
Schneider new # 806 602 2066 talk to Christie.
Dtubb
Hi David. Gary usually had contract barrels around. He'd make a batch for the USMC and there would be some extra. At least that's what I was told. But it's also been years since I dealt with any of this obviously.
Since you'd be the one to ask I assume you still do the rough finish on the blanks if requested? I've already been in contact with Christie. Its probably the way I'll go. Thanks for your help.

wow I had heard the rumors but didnt expect him to leave that fast. Just got my barrel from him in June or so.

The new owners or people running it might be updating their order process if they arent taking new orders. He was a bit old school and you just sent a check and note saying what you wanted and you got added to the pile.
fast? huh? Gary's been making barrels for over 40 years.

I bought six barrels in the last two years because I knew his retirement had to be coming soon. A friend I convinced into buying some got his just three months ago.

I hope they continue to be that good. At least the 30 caliber barrels.

Last edited:
Ouch end of an era, but good for Gary.
I ordered a few M40 tubes from him in the past. I hope I'm done with all the M40 family builds...but yall know how that goes lol.

Last edited:
Damn… hate to hear this. Had a lot of LONG good conversations with Gary over the years when ordering barrels, mostly about fishing and hunting. Hope he enjoys his retirement. Glad I purchased a couple spare barrels from him! Still got 2 sr60 contours for my Robar.

Reactions: drglock
fast? huh? Gary's been making barrels for over 40 years.
Meant from the time I heard he was planning to retire to actually retiring. I know he's been in it longer than I've been alive lol.

He used to keep a few when he ran the usmc barrels but last order I placed he said he didn't do that and he only made what the order was for. Not sure if that's because he was retiring soon or what but that's what I was told. Got my first barrel from him in 3 days when he used to do the over runs so he definitely did do that.

Reactions: Stevo86
Meant from the time I heard he was planning to retire to actually retiring. I know he's been in it longer than I've been alive lol.

He used to keep a few when he ran the usmc barrels but last order I placed he said he didn't do that and he only made what the order was for. Not sure if that's because he was retiring soon or what but that's what I was told. Got my first barrel from him in 3 days when he used to do the over runs so he definitely did do that.
True… first couple I got were delivered within a week.

Thanks guys. I do remember talking to him when I called. Had a laugh when dealing with Mcmillan on getting a stock. Went back and forth with them on specs of the barrel. Can't remember what his response was but it was funny. I do remember what my thoughts were. It's a Schneider barrel and a A1 stock ya just can't fugg that up. Lol.

Just bumping this up to the top. Was able to score a USO scope and USMCSGT0331 provided me with a scope base. Awesome. Probably end up building a transitional A1 and pretend it's a Unertyl. Really depends at this time what I run into for parts.

we will be carrying Schneider barrels for the M40 rifle, in stock, in a few months. You can also get on the list to be notified:

https://charliescustomclones.com/schneider-m40-stainless-military-barrel-blank/

M40-b_barrel__61678.jpg

E55BFAE9-25BD-4D1A-98CC-AD0F3F0781DC.jpeg

I order my barrel from Gary Schneider himself for my M40A5 (variation) build, now I have the Surefire Break and NV Mount just not in this pic. I chose the inletted cheek riser over the clamp on. Again this was my variation for my own personal use. His contact info listed below:

Gary Schneider
Schneider Rifle Barrels

CONTACT & ORDERING

You can email or phone us @ (806) 602-2066
Please feel free to contact us at your convenience.
Thank you.

SCHNEIDER RIFLE BARRELS
802 N 2nd St
Canadian, TX 79014

Barrel is a a 1:10.25 twist 308 Win and shoots lights out.
D3E0C904-204C-4DFA-97B8-A023C2885A0E.jpeg

Last edited:
Schneider Barrels, Inc., a US corporation, makes the high-quality Schneider USMC Contract Barrel. Schneider Barrels has been making Marine Corps-grade barrels since 1951.

Precision shooters choose the company's barrels for quality and durability. The USMC Contract Barrel is ideal for rifle builds since it meets USMC specifications. Shooters can personalize their barrels by caliber and length.
Congratulations, new AI guy, on the 2nd most obvious Chatbot reply of the night.

I don't see why there would be a problem. You are actually saving him a step since he is not polishing after profiling. I ordered, from Gary, an M40 profile barrel but not a spec barrel and asked for the rough finish and he delivered as asked.

Last edited:
Think I asked that question but didn’t get a response. Assuming David Tubb is involved quality should be as expected.
We typically send the M40 blanks out with the rougher looking finish (that’s the way they look off the lathe) but we polish if desired. My husband Nate Stallter and I operate Schneider Rifle Barrels now. We use the same process Gary has for many years. I grew up shooting Schneider barrels and Gary is a family friend.

We use 416 stainless steel to make rifle barrel blanks. In other words, we cut, drill, ream, button, stress relieve, contour, and hand lap barrels. Our barrels are made with a pull button rifling process.

What Makes our Barrels Different?
In addition to conventional rifling, our innovation we refer to as P5 rifling is also available. Some refer to it as "polygon" rifling. Most shooters when referring to polygon have thoughts of the European pistol barrels. Ours, however, is different but has similarities. The "P" in P5 does have an association. What is different? Most shooters have looked thru a standard barrel and observed the rectangular shape of the lands and grooves that are very well defined by the sharp corners at the transition of land to groove and at the top of the land. The P5 however, displays no sharp corners when observed. The sharp corners have been replaced with a radius. The net effect is better seal of bullet to barrel and less damage to the bullet preserving its integrity. The most profound result is an increase in bullet velocity. This is not subjective; a chronograph can measure it. In some instances, an excess of 100 fps has been recorded. Another attribute is these barrels foul less. While this can be considered subjective, our customers have been consistently reporting this observation without solicitation.

About us:
Nate Stallter retired from the U.S. Navy as a Master Chief Petty Officer after 24 years as a SEAL with 21 deployments and several awards to include 7 bronze stars with valor and a purple heart. Shooting has always been a passion, and the opportunity to make precision rifle barrels could not be passed up. Nate trained with Gary Schneider, learned the process, and then moved the company to Canadian, TX. In 2018, Nate set the first (ELR) Extreme Long Range cold bore world record using a Schneider barrel. Nate impacted a 36in X 36in target 3 times in a row at 2011 yards using a Schneider barrel with P5 rifling. Christie Tubb Stallter is from Canadian, TX originally. She grew up shooting high-power rifle using Schneider barrels with her dad, David Tubb. One of Christie’s first shooting accomplishments occurred when she was 18 years old and placed second at nationals in a high-power rifle open sights 1000yd match at Camp Perry, Ohio using a Schneider barrel in .308 caliber among a few hundred competitors. Christie, Nate, and David currently shoot Extreme Long Range (ELR) competitions together. Schneider Rifle Barrels is located next door to Superior Shooting Systems. If you have a question, please email [email protected] or give us a call at (806)602-2066. We check email and phone messages more frequently than chat forums.

Last edited:
We typically send the M40 blanks out with the rougher looking finish (that’s the way they look off the lathe) but we polish if desired. My husband Nate Stallter and I operate Schneider Rifle Barrels now. We use the same process Gary has for many years. I grew up shooting Schneider barrels and Gary is a family friend.

We use 416 stainless steel to make rifle barrel blanks. In other words, we cut, drill, ream, button, stress relieve, contour, and hand lap barrels. Our barrels are made with a pull button rifling process.

What Makes our Barrels Different?
In addition to conventional rifling, our innovation we refer to as P5 rifling is also available. Some refer to it as "polygon" rifling. Most shooters when referring to polygon have thoughts of the European pistol barrels. Ours, however, is different but has similarities. The "P" in P5 does have an association. What is different? Most shooters have looked thru a standard barrel and observed the rectangular shape of the lands and grooves that are very well defined by the sharp corners at the transition of land to groove and at the top of the land. The P5 however, displays no sharp corners when observed. The sharp corners have been replaced with a radius. The net effect is better seal of bullet to barrel and less damage to the bullet preserving its integrity. The most profound result is an increase in bullet velocity. This is not subjective; a chronograph can measure it. In some instances, an excess of 100 fps has been recorded. Another attribute is these barrels foul less. While this can be considered subjective, our customers have been consistently reporting this observation without solicitation.

About us:
Nate Stallter retired from the U.S. Navy as a Master Chief Petty Officer after 24 years as a SEAL with 21 deployments and several awards to include 7 bronze stars with valor and a purple heart. Shooting has always been a passion, and the opportunity to make precision rifle barrels could not be passed up. Nate trained with Gary Schneider, learned the process, and then moved the company to Canadian, TX. In 2018, Nate set the first (ELR) Extreme Long Range cold bore world record using a Schneider barrel. Nate impacted a 36in X 36in target 3 times in a row at 2011 yards using a Schneider barrel with P5 rifling. Christie Tubb Stallter is from Canadian, TX originally. She grew up shooting high-power rifle using Schneider barrels with her dad, David Tubb. One of Christie’s first shooting accomplishments occurred when she was 18 years old and placed second at nationals in a high-power rifle open sights 1000yd match at Camp Perry, Ohio using a Schneider barrel in .308 caliber among a few hundred competitors. Christie, Nate, and David currently shoot Extreme Long Range (ELR) competitions together. Schneider Rifle Barrels is located next door to Superior Shooting Systems. If you have a question, please email [email protected] or give us a call at (806)602-2066. We check email and phone messages more frequently than chat forums.
Jeff Siewert mentions the advantage of polygon rifling that he saw in this interview.

I don't see why there would be a problem. You are actually saving him a step since he is not polishing after profiling. I ordered, from Gary, an M40 profile barrel but not a spec barrel and asked for the rough finish and he delivered as asked.
I bought an SR60 contour .308 barrel from Gary years ago. I called and Gary himself answered. We had a short conversation and I ordered my barrel.
It was a pleasure to talk with him and do business with him.
I'm glad to see someone with a personal connection to Gary is continuing the business

Reactions: Westcoast308