• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Source for small firing pin for Winchester M70 CRF S/A

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    My local gunsmith is able to bush my bolt face on my Winchester M70 CRF action (from '95), but I have to purchase the firing pin ahead of time and provide with my bolt (I didn't ask why this is just what he told me). My question is, where can I find a small diameter firing pin that will fit my short action CRF bolt? Any help is appreciated.

The reason I'm looking for a small diameter firing pin is because the rifle used to be 308 but I now have it barreled for 6.5 Creedmoor and even shooting factory Berger and Hornady Match ammunition I am getting pierced primers. On my AR-10 and my AI I have small firing pins to alleviate this issue and I'd like to do the same with my Winchester bolt rifle.

Also, I am open to other gunsmiths in the Colorado Springs - Denver area, if anyone knows of a good 'smith who works on Winchester actions please let me know.

I have an FN SPR action that was large firing pin and although I never had pierced primer issues, a friend of mine did the work and installed a bushing in my bolt face and then turned down the stock firing pin to fit- my understanding is that is how almost all gunsmiths do it- I've never heard of a gunsmith saying that you need to buy a new small firing pin.

My friend that did the work for me is on this forum, his screen name is carlsbad and he's a good guy and a very skilled gunsmith- he chambered and installed a new 6.5 CM barrel on my FN SPR and it shoots lights out. I would suggest contacting him about the process of bushing a bolt and what he does.

My local gunsmith is able to bush my bolt face on my Winchester M70 CRF action (from '95), but I have to purchase the firing pin ahead of time and provide with my bolt (I didn't ask why this is just what he told me). My question is, where can I find a small diameter firing pin that will fit my short action CRF bolt? Any help is appreciated.

The reason I'm looking for a small diameter firing pin is because the rifle used to be 308 but I now have it barreled for 6.5 Creedmoor and even shooting factory Berger and Hornady Match ammunition I am getting pierced primers. On my AR-10 and my AI I have small firing pins to alleviate this issue and I'd like to do the same with my Winchester bolt rifle.

Also, I am open to other gunsmiths in the Colorado Springs - Denver area, if anyone knows of a good 'smith who works on Winchester actions please let me know.
    Greg Tannel is in Rifle and his turnaround time is normally good for bolt work.

Greg Tannel is in Rifle and his turnaround time is normally good for bolt work.
    Was hoping for someone a bit closer to the Springs or Denver but good to know. (Some great Elk hunting above Rifle!)

A USPS small flat rate box will make Rifle pretty close.
    You make a good point, if I didn't also need some trigger work done as well which requires the whole rifle and hence why I'm trying to find someone more local

Gre-Tan would be the preferred source I would recommend.
    Rifle isn't much of a drive for you if you would prefer a FTF transaction and would get you away from the Dumver area and a nice scenic drive.

Tannell can do it.

LRI as above.

I would call MH to ask first, but bring your wallet. You will see other items you "need" while you are there. Their smiting fees are right in line. Its the "extras" you will see that get you..... I do love that shop though

I think between drive time up to Superior or to Rifle, you could just ship to Chad at LRI. He has A LOT of experience with these and a passion

I currently have a m70 bolt at LRI to be bushed. My research led me to LRI or GreTan being the best choice. I'm sure GreTan does good work but I chose LRI based on work I've seen them do in the past as well as Chad's involvement here on the hide. I love the fact that he does FB live video of gunsmith work; I geek out on that kind of stuff. As a customer it shows they're proud of their work and aren't afraid of showing the world how they get from A to B. Also, every time I see a notification for a FB live video pop up I get a little excited thinking there's a chance I'll get to watch my own bolt being worked on!