• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Sources for terrain affects on wind

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Does anyone have a good source of info on how terrain (especially hills/valleys) affect wind speed/direction?

This is something I really need to work on.

You can make your own smoke as there are plenty on how to's on youtube.
    What helped me most was just setting an watching how smoke drifted an was moved around when the wind blows. Another way I watched was using/watching balloons filled with helium an tied with different string lengths. Remember to real watch close at were the bullet flys, not where it never will based upon target distance. I've seen major differences between 10-15 ft agl vs 30-40agl with just minor ground change or wind vols.
    This is an area most who only shoot 1-3 different home ranges never understand, until they have to live/operate in a venue at does not allow group shooting.
    One of the most interesting places to watch for wind changes is in large city's, as not everything is as it would seem at first depending a few things.
    We were shooting subs from a van, on a ranch with lots of buildings, tractors, rolls of hay ect, an it very quickly became evident who had studied this area an who had not.