• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing South Africa! - Need Suggestions.

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Heres the deal. It looks like I will be headed to Johannesburg South Africa for a few weeks for work around the August time frame. I was thinking that I would love to get out over one of the weekends and do a 2 day hunt if possible. The problems are I dont know where to even start to look at doing this, the estimated costs, etc. Not to mention I dont have a large caliber rifle so is renting or using a guide rifle a possibility? I know this is not the best option and I dont like hunting with a rifle/ammo Im not all that familiar with the ballistics of since I want a clean kill over wounding, but I dont have any other viable options.

The best part about this is that my airfare, food, lodging, and transportation is paid for by work so if I could sneak out for a weekend for a big game hunt, it would be amazing and probably the cheapest opportunity I would ever have!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: South Africa! - Need Suggestions.

I hunted in Zimbabwe, so I cant help you with who to contact, but this site has everything and everyone you might need. www.accuratereloading.com The guys on this forum will surely be able to help you out. Good luck.

Depends on what you want to hunt. Most plainsgame can be taken with a 270 or 30-06 with no problem. Most outfitters will be willing to rent a rifle to you. I was over there in early May for an 11 day hunt and it was awesome! We were about 100 miles west of Polokwanee. Check out the forums on Accuratereloading.com. They have some great info on hunting Africa and many PH's post there.

There are several preserves with less than half days distance of Johannesburg. Get in touch with some outfitters and they will find you something. It will be highfence though. Most of the places in South Africa are. It will still be a hard hunt though. Most of the places are over in the Free State. Google it and you should be able to find something. I would suggest an Impala, Kudu, Springbok, Blesbok, and maybe some blue or black wildebeest if the ranch has them. All of them are relatively common and inexpensive animals that will make impressive trophies on your wall at home. Be sure you go to place that you can stay at on Friday and saturday night and have a couple of bria's and drink brandy and coke or some Black Label.

Don't worry about borrowing a rifle. They will have something servicable for you to use. If you are just doing a weekend hunt it will only be for plains game and it will be just a 3006 or 308 (both very popular over there) most likely. Alway before you hunt you will shoot the rifle. Shouldn't be much problem being familiar with a bolt gun. I wouldn't worry about that. I would think you will be able to get 3-4 species and a couple nights at the place for 2-3 thousand. The rifle rental will be about $25/day and $1-2 for each bullet.

Not sure how long the drive is but I know the flight is fairly short. Have hunted with these guys twice with my Dad and they did a fantastic job. http://www.kubusisafaris.co.za/ My Dad is intending to go back to them a third time next spring. Hunting there is relatively cheap.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Keep em coming! The closer to Johannesburg the better. I will not be able to fly from there or drive 10hrs to get to another location.