• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

South Bend 10 lathe

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I picked this guy up today for 100 bucks plus some work.

20220412_163524.jpg
    20220412_163541.jpg
    20220412_163552.jpg

Anyone know where I can get a manual for this guy? The ways have no wear and scrape marks along the whole length of the ways.
    Serial is just above 170,000.

@sirhrmechanic

abebooks.com should have manuals.

I have basically the identical lathe except 9" swing. Mine's ex-Navy from WW2. Part of a Mk 1 Mod 0 Machine shop on some ship.

They are total workhorses. Get yourself a quick change toolpost and a collet set and you will be styling! Those are total workhorse lathes and very fun to work with!

Congrats!

Sirhr

Reactions: McCrazy and MK20
    Ok. Thanks. I tried looking up the serial and the catalog number to get the specific model to get the right manual. Is it just a SB 10 or is it a specific sub model?

South Bend 10K

ETA - Actually may be an early heavy 10 version.

Last edited:
    About a half a day, so not bad. :)

The leather drive belt is SOAKED in oil so it slips constantly. Is there anywhere to get a new one or is there a better replacement these days?

About a half a day, so not bad. :)

The leather drive belt is SOAKED in oil so it slips constantly. Is there anywhere to get a new one or is there a better replacement these days?
    There are guys who supply new leather belts. They have a sort of a 'staple' joint.

https://www.squirreldaddy.com/South-Bend-Lathe-Flat-Drive-Belt-s/90.htm

^^^ This one should make you feel right at home. When you get the belt, rub with some dressing. The old belt is probably punky and won't last long.

Also some folks who make new lead screws and compound screws. I've rebuilt mine a couple of times. Just google replacement parts and there a bunch of folks who make them. I've bought from this guy before. Prices are up since I bought the last one, but it's still a cheap date.

Also replace the felts. The old ones get filled with grit and dirt. The new ones cost very little. And make a big difference to protecting the ways.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Doing the same thing on a south bend 9a right now, yours is way cleaner! And it’s the under drive with a stand!

This guy on ebay has kits with the new wicks and the manuals are great with step by step pictures.
    Make sure it’s the right 10 book before you buy, he’s got one for like every variation
    It’ll take a few days to break it all the way down and refurbish the lube stuff but it’s worth it to me. Learning lots on how the shit actually functions

And this book is a pretty great introduction to lathe stuff in general and worth way more than the 5 bucks it costs

I made a new belt out of a serpentine belt. Use it groove side down, feather the ends about an inch and glue the splice with super glue. Mine has held up for at least 10/years and counting.

Reactions: Llatikcuf and MK20
    I just wrapped up messing with it. When I run the lead screw one of the change gears tightens up until it won't move. This is what I think is happening.

Also, everything from the micrometer stop to the dial handles is really gummy. Like dried 40 year old cosmoline gummy. I think I am going to buy that book and kit and tear the whole thing down and soak each part in diesel to get rid of the crap.

This is one of those things people love to repeat without even taking a moment to ponder its truthfulness.
    My machinist instructor in school told us this. Never really thought about it too much. I know he did make a bunch of parts to fix the shit we would break on them like half nuts.

My machinist instructor in school told us this. Never really thought about it too much. I know he did make a bunch of parts to fix the shit we would break on them like half nuts.

Fair enough. Lathes are definitely good at making repair parts for other lathes.

Get a copy of South Bend's "How to Run a Lathe." It's the classic and has been out for over 100yrs w/ many updates. And Tubalcain has lots of lathe videos along with others.

I am also looking to eventually get a collet setup for this thing. I know it is possible to use 5c collets in this thing.
    Does anyone have a recommendation of where to get a setup and what type to get?

I already have a extensive and complete 5c set. I just need the chuck or drawbar or whatever.

I went with a Bison 5C chuck on D1-4 back for my Heavy 10. Seemed easier than adding drawbar/etc especially given the occasional use it gets.

Reactions: MK20
    Very good group with a lot of experienced people that can help you find parts or books. They can also help you figure out when it was built.

Reactions: MK20
    I got on PM and posted over there. I ordered the shipping card for the lathe and a teardown manual and some new felts. The lathe shipped in April of 46.

Reactions: mcjc21