• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

South Dakota - June Trip Report

RMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2019
Just got back from the second trip to the Rosebud Reservation, South Dakota Prairie Dog Shoot. Had a good time. The pups were out and the shooting was good. But, it was so hot that the shooting was limited to from 8:00 to about 11:00 and from 3:00 to 7:00. It was too hot midday for the dogs to be out. We had highs over 100 all three days. On the drive out the temp was 107..... on the morning we left the temps were going to be in the mid 80's. The guide offered to let us stay another day but my son had to get back for work.

We shot two days with the owner and one day with his assistant guide. Both guys were top notch and were almost apologetic about the heat and lack of shooting at mid day.

That being said, had a great time.....it was hot but the winds were only about 8 to 12 MPH and it has been so dry out that the shots were very easy to spot. I beat my best with a Rem 700 223 at 713 yards (took 5 shots to get him).....and the gas gun 6MM AR as well at 658 yards (took 6 shots to get him). In May I only got to shoot the 6MM AR for about 20 rounds and the ejector broke....this time worked like a charm....

Due to the heat the round counts were way down as compared to our May trip.....and the mirage (most of the time) only allowed about 12 to 14 power magnification.

My son finally got his 'Savage 110, 6MM CM dialed in with the right powder (Superformance) and 115 gr Bergers and I have to admit that is one impressive round. His best was 880 yards. I have an older REM 700 BDL Varmint special in 243 that is shot out and am thinking about building that up in 6MM CM.

We are booked next year in May again (2 days) on the Rosebud and not so sure about where to go in June (the guide is already booked up). We are thinking maybe try up near Pierre, SD?

Reactions: JasonPaul
Good times, I went late May to eastern co. Were the number of dogs pretty good?

yes....but during late morning and early afternoon they were nowhere to be found.....just too hot.

Were in Eastern Colorado did you go? We have no where to go next year in June.

Wiggins, CO. I also shoot the western slope near Montrose. CO - but a combination of plague and me probably thinned out that property.

@RMB Back in the 80's 4 of us would head to Mission where we stayed but I haven't been out since the guide thing started. We always headed to Parmalee and did all our shooting east and north of town where there were as many snakes as dogs when you got up by the river. We were armed with 22-250's and 220 Swift with state of the art scopes like Leupold 10x and a couple of Tasco 6-18. We always had to make our reservations at the Mission motel when you were there or you wouldn't get a room the following year. It's probably changed but the drive thru west of town and the Golf course were the only places to get beer. I still have the map and permit from our last trip $5.00. Where did you stay?

rosebud has some great shooting, Pierre nat'll grassland is ok for a stopping point, however, long shots cause the dogs are skittish, wind and flat terrain with no real backstop. Shot up by mud butte, friendly landowners, good dog populations, some elevation around there.

Reactions: RMB