Member Link Up  South Dakota Members

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009
    Iceshack Village, Buttfuck Nowhere
    Noticed there are quite a few of us, just thought I try to reach out to anybody. Anyone with SD shooting stuff could post here with announcements or other stuff.

Kinda looking for others with same interests and keep info here circulating, there isn't always the best communication it seems to me when it comes to our area in regards to typical Hide topics.

Just to kick things off, this weekend I believe is the Varmint Hunters Assoc., IBS 600 competition held out at Ft. Pierre, as well as what looks like a great time at the Buffalo Chip come Sturgis Bike week.

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 12, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Re: South Dakota Members

I have been trying to get out to Pierre to shoot for three years now but for some reason I just haven't made the time.

Any there any other members out there that have something interesting to share? It would be great if someone had some land were we could all get together to shoot.

esromvre

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2008
    Black Hills SD

Pierre is a good time I still like the chip or going to Bismark ND and Alliance NE or what not and shooting 1000 yard..

Heck the bad lands or Buffalo Gap works great also.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

Yeah, having a Hide get together would be awesome.

It seems most members are west river, black hills area.

My hometown is Huron (moved to Watertown) and we have access to prairie dogs about 20 minutes away, but lately they have been pretty thinned out from what they were two years ago.

A neighbor in Huron (name withheld) shoots out to Pierre and elsewhere, he's usually in the top five according to my VHA mags I've read. He's a pretty cool guy. I heard he might even be a Hide member but not really sure. I tried to get away from work just to watch the IBS competition, but couldn't swing it.

A close friend, just got back from Ideal, SD to shoot P-Dogs, got about 125 in a day and a half plus one rattlesnake and two Jacks.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

Looks like a friend of mine just scored a nice flat hay field that belongs to a co-worker of his for a makeshift range. Gonna check it out for distance this weekend. Sounds promising!

264shooter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2009
    Western Nevada

DFOOSKING, I am a south dakota native, I've got family in RC and SF I have been in nevada for 23 years and now plan on moving back. I am looking forward to shooting back in SoDak. Tactical Long range and NRA Hidhpower. Maybe we can send a few down range.
    Chuck 264shooter

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

264Shooter

Always up for it, Leaving las vegas? Mom lives up there, don't care much for the urban jungle personally, but I visit on rare occasions.

UPDATE ON MAKESHIFT RANGE: After scouting out said hay field, the best that could be set for is shooting out to 710 yards due to a nearby farm, which restricts diagonal shooting on a square range. But in the meantime, the property owner has no problem whatsoever with setting up steel targets and leaving them for our personel use. The field has one "bump hill" in it, but other than that, it's a fair range. After soybeans are harvested, the "next door neighbor" will be asked if we can extend the range out farther temporarily.

Coyotes are seen in area as well.

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 23, 2006
    South Dakota

I'm from watertown. If your in the area give me a holler and we can shoot out to 825yds whenever.

338LM

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 20, 2003
    STL Missouri

I was born in Watertown and lived there from 1962-1975. Great memories. Then we moved up to Saskatchewan. I now live in St. Louis. Have not been back to Watertown for a long time.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

If anyone is looking into a class 3 dealer, met a guy in the Brookings Gun show, Danny Gunderson out of Lake Preston (10 min from Des Smet). His company is called Predator Arms, kinda a side business for him I was told from a friend.

Had alot of nice stuff, An AR SBR suppressed and few other "typical" suppressed gems. Nice guy, deals in Gemtech and Yankee Hill stuff as well as others.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

Thinking about a South Dakota HIDE Get together shoot come this spring. Held here in the central East River area. Was wondering if you guys would be up for it? I'm scouting a few locations and more info will come later on what I've found.

1. Basically a shoot the shit and shoot fest, no door prizes... sorry.

2. SoDAk members and their friends(and I guess non-SoDAk members can come to, shucks) either shoot steel or other fun stuff. Our imagination is the limit.

3. Basically a weekend event, no grand shootapoolaza. Get in, get out and scare the fuck outta the neighbors!

4. Kinda wanna push the East River side thing, I know there's ALOT of the Western Hide members, but there never is any real shooting stuff over here, just tring to spread the love. And if this turns out to be a positive, we could do an annual or biannual event. As well as a West River event.

5. Let me now what you guys think, and together we set a date. Tell the others (not all of us post threads regularly,so they are kinda hard to track). I've bumped into a few of you here before, so I know there should be a descent turnout.

6. Skies the limit on what you bring, I like to shoot rimfire just as much as centerfire, so I'm open to discussion on targets and the like. We have access to P-Dogs if you want to shoot critters.

The idea is good, and if not I can say I tried something cool once in my life that doesn't involve donkies and duct tape.

skinney_7

Hammer down.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone is looking into a class 3 dealer, met a guy in the Brookings Gun show, Danny Gunderson out of Lake Preston (10 min from Des Smet). His company is called Predator Arms, kinda a side business for him I was told from a friend.

Had alot of nice stuff, An AR SBR suppressed and few other "typical" suppressed gems. Nice guy, deals in Gemtech and Yankee Hill stuff as well as others. </div></div>
    I am a class III dealer in west river SD, side buis. for me as well, i also do guided elk, deer, turkey, and sell many other products, built my 2nd 1000M range this past summer, and got a website up and going as well.

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA

I'd be all for an event in SD! I'm east side, so obviously that would be more convenient.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

I'm so far looking for a new place in the Huron area where we can all shoot. My current ranges I have access to just won't accomodate many people. I figure your all gonna want 1K or more just so that the limitation is the shooter, not the range.

I figure sometime in April would be about the best, want the snow to be gone and yet not be so late that people are dealing with summer projects and what not.

Steel targets are being lined up, if anyone would like to bring some that would be great. Suggestions on targets would be a plus also.

If you stay over the weekend the Hotel/Motel situation shouldn't be difficult, lots of choices in Huron. Huron will also cut down the driving for some instead of driving to Watertown. Plenty of bars and entertainment type stuff to do at night. Huron is a remnant of what it once was, but it's not like we're in BFE. You can always go to the Mexican joint and knife fight sombody for a green card, if your feeling salty.

And remember to spread the word, so far I've PM'd about ten people and the replies I gotten so far are positive.

copper91

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2007
    Rapid City, SD

Sounds like fun guys,,, know quite a few shooters from Huron so you should get some turn out. the IBS 600 yard stuff starts in April so make sure to check the VHA website for their schedule,,, probably get a better turn out if it is not on the same weekend as the 600 yard deal.

Keep us posted on dates..

264shooter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2009
    Western Nevada

I have a few ar500 steel targets.
    It depends when you have your shoot, if I fly back or drive from NV.
    Keep me posted on when and where.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

I'll check my VHA mags for the IBS shoot date.

It will be in Huron, not Watertown for sure now. Within a 20 mile ring of Huron. Since the range has not been secured, that's all I'm saying at this point.

I was wondering if I need to supply any bench type matertials/ picnic tables. Most stuff can be held up in our vehicles, pickup boxes and what not. Bring some lawn chairs if ya can, since there's really no way to know who shows up in the end. I have one 10'X10' canopy, but if there's shit weather, you may as well just sit this one out.

I don't wanna run a huge event where theres tents and circus animals, we just get together and have a good time and enjoy shooting. If I need to secure liability waivers from everyone, then we might as well call it quits.

There's two places in mind, but as of yet, I haven't been able to lock down a site. I don't want to get everybodies hopes up then dud out on a range. Be patient... one's about 3/4 mile of a mile in a hill to hill setup with a river in between. The other I'm keeping to myself, since it's a long shot. Otherwise, I'm still looking. The trick isn't in the shooting, it's the safety aspect and having room for everyone and not trying to get the federali's on my ass.

I'm talking to one of my pistol club gurus and seeing if I can just get steel from his factory scrap pile for targets. They make nice uniform plates. I can also make a target board and I have a few .22 style targets for some rimfire fun. If anybody don't want or like that, just say, the less I have to keep track of, the better. Don't be shy, give me info now. I hate to put on something horrible and then I look like a douche.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

We'll shoot for the last weekend in April, (27th I think) that'll buy me some time, and give us the best chance for warmest weather.

Works been really gay to me this week(read: suspended), hope I still have a job by then! I guess I'll have time to work on this then.

Was kinda thinking we could run a Centerfire shoot Saturday, and a Rimfire shoot (I've got a ton of 50 yard comp. targets) in the Huron Public Range Sunday. That way, anyone who's not intersted, can go home content, those in, can shoot something else. Who know's, might have a good enough time, the skies the limit. And it's in town!

264shooter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2009
    Western Nevada

Shooting steel at long range is more fun and less hastle than paper unless you have target pits to work out of.

I have some long range ar500 stuff i might be able to haul to SD for the shoot.

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA

I've got some AR500 IPSC's and will be getting a few more, along with some hostage targets soon.

I think I can line us up to use one of the local gravel pit's by wolsey. We can probably stretch back to close to a mile if needed. Will just depend on whether the cows are out there or not.

Will have to do some checking.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

I have the access to a lot of 8ft fence posts that I'm cutting to 4ft and the targets can be hung from them or mounts can be added to the targets. I'll cut up and have 30 posts ready, won't take nothing to pound them in, since they will have to come out in a day or two anyway after we're done. I can cut more posts if nesasarry.

One gentleman said more people would show up if I offered money, but as I don't see a reason to bring in unknown people to what I would call a HIDE event, I'm not paying out prizes. If this was a pissing for distance contest, I'd be all for it. But I don't want people to be discouraged from showing up just because the area's "hot shots" so to speak are coming. If your on the HIDE and want to bring people, I'm all for it, but we will be limited to the targets we have and each guy showing up with five friends wanting to shoot will hamper everyone else. So please keep this in mind.

I will try to bring some coolers with beverages. Cost of steel targets is gonna be expensive even if I go with moderately thin steal say 1/4 to 1/2. I would like to make 14" wide by 18" tall IPSC "style" targets. I know the bench crowd want small, but everyone should be able to shoot these. There will be heads on them to test the more accurate crowd.

And to keep everyone in the loop, I will do my best to contact everyone if something goes awry. With the help of Orkan and some of my personal friends, a range will be locked down. If by April 1st, a range has not been found, I will let you know. I don't want people wasting or losing their vacation time because I failed them.

More info to come...

Bobcape

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 2, 2008
    Rapid City, SD

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
    I would definitely be interested. Especially if it's not all the way to the Minnesota line! I'll keep watching this thread and please PM if you have updates. Thanks for putting this together.

Bob
    </span> </span>

CHIPLOAD

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2010
    SOUTH DAKOTA

Found your thread. Find anymore deals in SF. Came across lots of wrecks on the way home some were looking nasty. Long trip home at 40 MPH! Ill keep in touch to see whats happening.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

Went to S.F. Gun Show and it rocked, two scopes, one Rem 521T, and a Harris Br came home, but lack of funds prevented me from taking home a Win 52B with optics for $750 and Rem 37T for a grand!

My buddy Chuck P. rolled his Ford Ranger on the way home from SooFoo Sunday. His truck is still there last I heard. He wasn't injured or his passenger.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

Good news everyone, talked to a very kind man who said if his wife okays the use, we'll have access to a gem of a range. Me and Orkan will be making a video in a couple of weeks showing the site if its a go!

The course of fire will be discussed and the targets there will be covered. Wait till the video comes out, and post some responses, letting me know what ya think! I will then ask for a roll call to give me an idea of all who's coming, so I have some scope of the size. If ya don't post your name and still wanna come that's cool, just PM me or Orkan. Instructions to the site will be there as well. It's about ten miles outta town and its pretty easy to get there.

I'll buy one more .22 commercial target as well, kinda a side match sorta thing. A good 200yd smallbore side match would be fun!

Remember the last Saturday in April! Personnally, I can't wait!

Hope to see you guys there!

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA

This is going to be an excellent time folks. The site for the range is absolutely superb. There is ample parking, facilities, and is one beautiful chunk of south dakota! The bullets will be flying onto ample backstop, so things will be nice and safe.

There is room for bench shooters if that is your cup of tea, and plenty of ground for us prone shooters to sprawl out.

FYI, south dakota is a suppressor-friendly state... so if you've got them BRING THEM!

I'm very excited to be helping dfoosking with this, as I feel it will be a unique opportunity for the shooters in south dakota to get together with other people with a passion for shooting.

264shooter

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 1, 2009
    Western Nevada

I'm assuming this will be mostly a steel match and what distances are you thinking about.

UKD range and engage is always fun.

Positional stuff for those who don't shoot off a bench......not that there is anything wrong with that..

I will be traveling back to see my family so I can bring some steel. let me now what you can use.

Do you have coordinates of your range so I can look at it from the sky?

Thanks

Chuck

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA

Here's the spot.

We'll be in the north-west corner and shooting east down that crick bottom. Its deep, and will make some very nice backstops. Pictures and video will be forthcoming.

There will be a variety of shooting. Foosking is on it. There will be known distance, and unknown distance steel for sure. The more targets the better!

We'll be able to get to 1000yds pretty easy.

The positional stuff is also a good idea. I won't be on a bench either.

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA

Foosking and I got to crawl up on my snowbank and sling a few today.
    His is too damn noisy.

beretta989

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2008
    South Dakota Huron area

I've got roughly 30 steel targets collected allready from 1/4 11 inch circle cutouts to 9.5 w by 16 long 5/16 plate. I'm getting a couple more everyday. Some of the 3/16 and 1/4 inch plates im welding together to get twice the thickness so the big guns won't punch through on the first round. But they didn't cost me a thing so I really don't care what happens to them.

Wolf22

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 13, 2006
    Midwestern USA

Sorry to hijack the thread,

but I posted a thread looking for help finding a Class III dealer/FFL who is user friendly/GTG for suppressor transfers. for Eastern SD/ Sx Falls area or around...

Any help would be appreciated. (Gary's is a little proud of their services/products.)

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
    Commercial Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA

Look up mike cotton, MCT (mike cotton technologies) in volga, SD. He's great to deal with. Tell him Greg from Huron sent you.

raptor99

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 18, 2005
    Pierre SD

Hey guys just found your sight here. Good to see so many from SD intrested in long range "Tactical" shooting. If your looking for steel to make good targets out of and you live in Huron you need to go down to the railroad yard and get some of the bigger cross plates. They are around 7X14 and are harder than the hubs of hell. You may have to weld a couple of holes shut but thats about it.

They used these for targets out at the D&L shoot in Wyoming and they work great. You can weld a couple togeather for larger targets at 1000yds.

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009

Teton River in Pierre

South Dakota silencers.com outta Souix Falls (Home business)

Another internet shop in Groton (Can't remember name)

Predator Arms in Lake Preston (Home business)

Skinney here on the HIDE is a dealer I believe but he's West River

I've seen a guy that bombs around some of the Gun shows, but I don't like the looks of him, So I don't care to know to find out.

If you can't work with Gary's (I bought a Aviator from them) try SD silencers, he would be your best bet, if your in souix Falls. The SD silencers guy is nice and he can definitely get you the best can for the money I'm sure. Where as Gary's tends to rely on the customers knowledge. I like Tony there, but I can see what your saying.

Those are the ones that come to my mind...anyone else can add to this.