• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southeast PRS

BootMan545

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2018
Louisiana
I've been following PRS since 2013 and competing since 2020. I'm in south Louisiana and its always frustrating to me that I have to drive 4 hours one way to participate in the PRS. As I look at the schedule on the PRS website today, there is NOTHING in Louisiana or even the gulf coast area. It's always the same places hosting as if there's a monopoly. Not to say I haven't had a good time. Gunline was a positive experience and so was Prince, but there is absolutely nothing in gulf south area for PRS Centerfire and Rimfire. Just feels disappointing. Missed opportunity. If PRS wants to "grow the sport," why not look to invest in areas where it isn't?

Fortunately, some local ranges (Fusilier and Palo Alto) are trying it out. I've attended these matches and am trying to do my part in promoting locally, but I've felt like the folks local/loyal to Gunline and Prince (or any where "up north"), are not really interested in taking a trip down south to shoot. And I imagine the answer is, "Why? We've got good programs here." I guess its up to us in south LA to build it if we want it? Because you can't tell me the area cannot support it. If that opinion is off base, I'd love to hear about it. I just don't see any shortage of shooters in the area.

I'm in Keithville, outside Shreveport and feel your pain. There's not even rifle a good long range rifle class, up here. I think Louisiana is a pain in the ass to deal with on many different levels and nothing good will come here. For as much as this state has to offer, we just don't support anything but hunting and fishing. I'm surprised we still have the Saints.

If I had the means, I’d love to build a range, take on the liabilities, and make a place for any and all shooters. This area has a lot of “small” places (fortunately) so we have something. But it’s missing that “main” one. The one that could do it all. As I’ve often said, the lottery is holding me back.

Maybe you’re right. LA does have its fair share of BS with politics both state and local. I-10 is awful to drive. Especially the closer you get to BR. And speaking of the Saints, I’m worried if they put together a handful of loosing season they’ll be sold. If that happens, watch what’s left of Nola literally fall apart.

Reactions: Patriots1884
So that you are clear on the concept, the PRS organization doesn’t “build” anything for any location. It is a sanctioning organization that can be used by any club wanting to run PRS matches and have their shooters be able to compete in the larger group.

All clubs that host these matches have created the spaces and matches themselves.

It does suck that there is not much around you there, but the only way to change that is to become involved in some way to start something in your area. That’s what we did here in central and South Florida ten years ago. Now there are a number of places to shoot within and around Florida. It takes time to develop the interest and get people involved.

Atlantic Coast series pretty much started with Andy and Bryan (the guys behind VPRC) putting on matches in their backyard. There has been much growth and other people who have invested huge time and money into things since. Initially, those two guys are what made the AC PRS. Paul at Frontline was down there doing good stuff as well, but he's a bit of a homebody and kinda stuck to his range. Josh Bandy @ Pigg River came along a couple years later and injected a lot of energy & class into the area, and still does. Maybe 5 years after Andy and Bryan started offering $40 matches in the back lot, the AC got split from the SE and NE regions and turned into its own region. Partly it's due to the massive concentration of military guys (more interest), but it's at least equally due to the energy and motivation of the AC region's MDs.
The Northeast has Stiner. That guy has done as much for PRS in that region and beyond as anyone short of Shannon Kay. Between the NE and AC regions, I think a guy could shoot a match about every weekend.
VPRC doesn't have its own range, and Stiner didn't for several years. They all got creative.

If you want a strong shooting community, find yourself an Andy, Bryan, Bandy, or Stiner. Then support that guy with everything you've got.
1673801592845.png

So that you are clear on the concept, the PRS organization doesn’t “build” anything for any location. It is a sanctioning organization that can be used by any club wanting to run PRS matches and have their shooters be able to compete in the larger group.

All clubs that host these matches have created the spaces and matches themselves.

It does suck that there is not much around you there, but the only way to change that is to become involved in some way to start something in your area. That’s what we did here in central and South Florida ten years ago. Now there are a number of places to shoot within and around Florida. It takes time to develop the interest and get people involved.
That’s fair. I’m using the PRS as an example since it’s the largest organization this side of the Mississippi for long range shooting. It doesn’t have to fit that mold, just wish we had more to offer here. I struggle to find 3 gun matches down here too.

Reactions: lash
Atlantic Coast series pretty much started with Andy and Bryan (the guys behind VPRC) putting on matches in their backyard. There has been much growth and other people who have invested huge time and money into things since. Initially, those two guys are what made the AC PRS. Paul at Frontline was down there doing good stuff as well, but he's a bit of a homebody and kinda stuck to his range. Josh Bandy @ Pigg River came along a couple years later and injected a lot of energy & class into the area, and still does. Maybe 5 years after Andy and Bryan started offering $40 matches in the back lot, the AC got split from the SE and NE regions and turned into its own region. Partly it's due to the massive concentration of military guys (more interest), but it's at least equally due to the energy and motivation of the AC region's MDs.
The Northeast has Stiner. That guy has done as much for PRS in that region and beyond as anyone short of Shannon Kay. Between the NE and AC regions, I think a guy could shoot a match about every weekend.
VPRC doesn't have its own range, and Stiner didn't for several years. They all got creative.

If you want a strong shooting community, find yourself an Andy, Bryan, Bandy, or Stiner. Then support that guy with everything you've got.
View attachment 8048229
Love the “if you build it they will come” Mentality. Was feeling that as I made my first post. My excuse has been work & family. I know everyone is juggling those two. And of course $$$. Trying to make time for this because I love it so much. Not just the trigger time, but the comradery is special too. Hoping when my kid(s) get older they’ll take to it. Not the end of the world if not. Anyways, I’m trying to offer what time I have to my club and attending what I can around here, even for the sake of being a warm body to boost numbers/interest. But you’re right, it all takes time.

Reactions: Schütze and lash
How about, LPRC? They have a FB presence, but I don't have FB. Says they're in Pioneer, over in West Carroll parish. It's a pretty good distance from you, I'd imagine.

How about, LPRC? They have a FB presence, but I don't have FB. Says they're in Pioneer, over in West Carroll parish. It's a pretty good distance from you, I'd imagine.
They’re on my radar. I’ve been up there before. Great people. It’s 4 hours from me though. Lot of logistics between work, family, and travel to make those happen. Hoping to make at least one this year.

Reactions: BLEE and lash
I'm also from Louisiana. Have a Palo Alto membership and travel to Cutoff Range occasionally to shoot further than 600. I shoot for fun and know I'm not good enough to be competitive in PRS so traveling 4+ hours for a match just isn’t worth it for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way and may be why others don't want to travel down.

Long Range Alley had a lot of space when I shot there around 2007. Looks like they still have 1000yds, and about 45 minutes from Shreveport.

Owner used to be pretty receptive to try things. Get some motivated guys to put some local stuff together.

ZY

Last edited:
Long Range Alley had a lot of space when I shot there around 2007. Looks like they still have 1000yds, and about 45 minutes from Shreveport.

Owner used to be pretty receptive to try things. Get some motivated guys to put some local stiff together.

ZY
This right here. Get a few guys together that want to compete casually and try to put together one match. Keep it simple. Then go from there.

View attachment 8048229
This 👍🏼

Owner used to be pretty receptive to try things. Get some motivated guys to put some local stuff together.

ZY
They're 20 miles from me, but never have anything on the calendar. Seems like they're just a range, without events. I'll call them to verify.

Reactions: lash and ZY100
I've been following PRS since 2013 and competing since 2020. I'm in south Louisiana and its always frustrating to me that I have to drive 4 hours one way to participate in the PRS. As I look at the schedule on the PRS website today, there is NOTHING in Louisiana or even the gulf coast area. It's always the same places hosting as if there's a monopoly. Not to say I haven't had a good time. Gunline was a positive experience and so was Prince, but there is absolutely nothing in gulf south area for PRS Centerfire and Rimfire. Just feels disappointing. Missed opportunity. If PRS wants to "grow the sport," why not look to invest in areas where it isn't?

Fortunately, some local ranges (Fusilier and Palo Alto) are trying it out. I've attended these matches and am trying to do my part in promoting locally, but I've felt like the folks local/loyal to Gunline and Prince (or any where "up north"), are not really interested in taking a trip down south to shoot. And I imagine the answer is, "Why? We've got good programs here." I guess its up to us in south LA to build it if we want it? Because you can't tell me the area cannot support it. If that opinion is off base, I'd love to hear about it. I just don't see any shortage of shooters in the area.

Walker, La. here. It does suck. Closest is Gunline, like you had mentioned and before that was Altus. Palo is starting a 22 prs which will be your closest option at the moments for that type of shooting. There is a range that just opened in Bogalusa (Saorsa) that will possibly be having PRS matches but I wouldn't count on that happening until 2024. There is another family owned range in Pride, La. ("Roaming Shot", or something like that) that holds long distance classes.

Reactions: BootMan545
In on the Northshore / Madisonville area.
I agree, if we want it, we are going to need to group together, find a range, and make it happen. Once matches are happening you will see people travel

ZY
If that don’t just burn my butt. 67 miles fro our home, so much closer than Prince. Unfortunately,, as always you can’t get anywhere from Caney Creek Lake. Every road goes the wrong way. Distance by road is as far or further than Prince. A Somewhat more convenient bridge across the Red would make it downright close.

For anyone interested, Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club near Donaldsonville, LA is starting to host 22lr PRS style matches on the fourth Sunday of every month this year. At this time, there are 5 stages to shoot. Matches start at 9am with check-in at 7:30am. Last weekend match had 10 guys. Typically, they bring 10-15 shooters. Hoping to see it grow as there were some shooters from the Lafayette and New Orleans areas last weekend. You can check out their website for more info. https://www.paloaltogunclub.com/ They are also "Old guy friendly," meaning for the stages with a lot of movement, seniors are allowed to either shoot prone or from a bench.

For anyone interested, Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club near Donaldsonville, LA is starting to host 22lr PRS style matches on the fourth Sunday of every month this year. At this time, there are 5 stages to shoot. Matches start at 9am with check-in at 7:30am. Last weekend match had 10 guys. Typically, they bring 10-15 shooters. Hoping to see it grow as there were some shooters from the Lafayette and New Orleans areas last weekend. You can check out their website for more info. https://www.paloaltogunclub.com/ They are also "Old guy friendly," meaning for the stages with a lot of movement, seniors are allowed to either shoot prone or from a bench.
I shot that match last weekend. It was a good time.

ZY
Long Range Alley isn’t set up for PRS/NRL type matches (KD range with a single burm for targets which forces you to move your gear from one firing line to another) and doesn’t seems like they want to deviate.
Would be great if they would evolve as it’s a large range and could be an excellent venue, but it seems like they are content with living in the past.

Reactions: JC0352 and BLEE
I’ve met with the owner of Saorsa and he’s working on developing the range with field precision matches in mind. They currently host some benchrest and NRA matches in a monthly basis.

There’s also a couple 22 matches a year at Fusilier Complex in Arnaudville (8-10 stages). Details for the next match is in the pic. Side note: they are working on expanding to 1000 yds from their current 300 yard burm.

1675211702351.png

You may need to look at texas. Depending on where in la you are.
There is twisted barrel precision near little rock ak if in north la.
But other than that it is probably gonna be some driving. I am fortunate to have a match about 1.5 hrs from the house, 1 depending on traffic about 3 and another about 3. Unfortunately i have to work weekends twice a month and alot of the matches pop up on my work weekends.
It does suck to have to drive a bunch to shoot a match.

Long Range Alley isn’t set up for PRS/NRL type matches (KD range with a single burm for targets which forces you to move your gear from one firing line to another) and doesn’t seems like they want to deviate.
Would be great if they would evolve as it’s a large range and could be an excellent venue, but it seems like they are content with living in the past.
This is correct. I was a member for about 5 years and the management doesn’t seem interested in PRS type shooting. I got the feeling that the owner was really hands-off. No type of pistol matches there, either. Kinda crazy the potential that place has.

They did run some 600 & 1,000yd f class matches monthly, but I’m not sure if they still do.

@Campguy308, are you guys still running matches in Texarkana?

This is correct. I was a member for about 5 years and the management doesn’t seem interested in PRS type shooting. I got the feeling that the owner was really hands-off. No type of pistol matches there, either. Kinda crazy the potential that place has.

They did run some 600 & 1,000yd f class matches monthly, but I’m not sure if they still do.

@Campguy308, are you guys still running matches in Texarkana?
I dont host them anymore myself but I do have a friend that puts one on occasionally.

The best matches near me are in Mt. Pleasant at the White Oak Creek Shooting Range. They are a new venue with a great setup. They are having a match this Saturday.

Reactions: Bayou_shooter
I dont host them anymore myself but I do have a friend that puts one on occasionally.

The best matches near me are in Mt. Pleasant at the White Oak Creek Shooting Range. They are a new venue with a great setup. They are having a match this Saturday.
That would be great if I hadn’t moved. I’m in West Virginia now. There’s stuff within 3 hours from me, but I haven’t gotten back into it yet. Hope you’ve been good bud

Reactions: Campguy308