• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern Cross Small Arms TSP-X Chassis..?

CK1.0

\m/ SLAYER \m/
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
Nashville
Hey, first post here, tried the search function but nothing really came up...

I'm a long time USPSA/IDPA shooter who's just starting to dip my toes in the bolt-gun world... I was looking at a few different affordable-ish rifles to pick up as my first "real" bolt gun to get started with (was pretty much set on getting a Tikka T3X TAC A1), but got lucky and managed to score a Howa 1500 Barreled Action in 6mm Creedmoor for a ridiculous deal I just couldn't pass on (think Brownells sale, divided by two). I'd read/heard the Howa 1500's are pretty good too as a decent starting point, so that's what it's going to be, and what I save on the cost of the rifle can go towards better glass and/or components/dies...

Anyways, since I'm new to this and I'm not ready to go whole hog on some crazy setup just yet, the Howa BA should be fine, I just have to decide on a chassis... an affordable one (I can already definitely see how getting into PRS can melt credit cards fast lol)...

I've been doing some research and was pretty much set on going with the KRG Bravo chassis at $440 ($100 more for the Howa than other actions for whatever reason)... Thing is, (besides the fact that the Bravo looks a whole lot better at $350 than it does at $440) it'll probably end up costing me more than that because it seems most Bravo owners end up going with KRG's Spigot attachment ($70) too in order to get their bipod in a better location (so figure more like $510 all-in for the Bravo).

I'm not going with the MDT XRS chassis; for a Howa you have to alter/mod the action to take standard AICS mags or use MDT's proprietary polymer mags. I don't want to have to alter the action, and I don't want to have to use their mags.

Enter the SCSA TSP-X chassis: all-aluminum, longer forend, just looks more robust, it's also a folder (I don't really care about that so much other than it means it'll probably already fit into one of the Pelican cases I already have instead of needing a longer one), for $430...

So, think I'm leaning towards the TSP-X chassis vs the Bravo... but, there's like nothing out there as of yet as far as reviews because it's so new to the market and I don't want to be a Beta-tester (I already have a couple Sig MPX's so I've had enough of that lol).

What's the word? Anyone have any experience with the TSP-X? Thoughts?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about Southern Cross, but I looked at their drawings on their web site and that fore end just bolts on with 2 bolts in the bottom. Don't know if I care for that if I had to buy it without any hands on. I have a 6.5 Howa in an Element 3.0 chassis and really like it. It's 403.00 I think on the XLR web site, the folder does add 115.00 I think. Great chassis though and super people to talk to. If you get the SCSA TSP-X, post back what you think of it.

I don't know anything about Southern Cross, but I looked at their drawings on their web site and that fore end just bolts on with 2 bolts in the bottom. Don't know if I care for that if I had to buy it without any hands on.

I saw just the 2 bolts too between forend/chassis... Makes one wonder, but that said, the whole barreled action is only held in by 2 bolts so......

That chassis is total fucking garbage.
Had to take one off of a Howa at my mates shop a few months back. The design, ergonomics, quality are all awful. Do not buy one.

KRG Bravos are great, proven entry level chassis. Can’t go wrong with one of them.

Can you explain in a little more detail what the issues were with the TSP-X chassis?
Looks like they just released it, so "a couple months back" means your mate must have been one of the first ones out there with one... I'm wondering what issues he encountered?

Last edited:
I've been doing some research and was pretty much set on going with the KRG Bravo chassis at $440 ($100 more for the Howa than other actions for whatever reason)... Thing is, (besides the fact that the Bravo looks a whole lot better at $350 than it does at $440) it'll probably end up costing me more than that because it seems most Bravo owners end up going with KRG's Spigot attachment ($70) too in order to get their bipod in a better location (so figure more like $510 all-in for the Bravo).

The spigot thing is absolutely not essential. Even if you decide you can't live without it, get the Bravo. There is nothing better at anywhere near the price.

I agree with you about not buying a chassis or stock that requires the action be modified to accept AICS-pattern magazines. If KRG found a way to make a wonderful chassis that takes the action as-is, so can everyone else.

I have a pair of 1500s both in KRG 180-Xrays (their Howa chassis prior to the Bravo).

The spigot thing is absolutely not essential. Even if you decide you can't live without it, get the Bravo. There is nothing better at anywhere near the price.

Think I'm still leaning that way for sure, the Bravo seems like it's proven and there are a bunch of them out there without complaints which I like.

I also don't want to seem like cost is the be-all-end-all factor either, I know the difference of a $100 or so is really nothing in the shooting sports. I just would like to keep the overall cost/budget down because this rifle will likely just be where I start, not where I end up, but I don't want to learn on junk either...

Last edited:
Just bravo and don’t look back. Damn nice chassis for minimal cash

I saw just the 2 bolts too between forend/chassis... Makes one wonder, but that said, the whole barreled action is only held in by 2 bolts so......

Hi,

So....but that being said...

Action screws are into a steel alloy, not a 6065 aluminum (Feel free to research the size of threads in Aluminum in relation to the ease of ripping shit out of them)

Also, where are you putting external pressures and forces (Not talking about recoil impulse and chamber pressure) at on a rifle? The barreled action or the attachment area of a chassis forend?

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

So....but that being said...

Action screws are into a steel alloy, not a 6065 aluminum (Feel free to research the size of threads in Aluminum in relation to the ease of ripping shit out of them)

Also, where are you putting external pressures and forces (Not talking about recoil impulse and chamber pressure) at on a rifle? The barreled action or the attachment area of a chassis forend?

Sincerely,
Theis

Yep. Aluminum = soft as shit, got it lol!

With so many great chassis options available here in the US why would you bother with one from overseas? Krg is had to beat for the money!

Yeah, was just wondering about the SCSA chassis because it 'looks' pretty good for the money... Midwest Gun Works has them in the US already.

I'll probably end up just going with the Bravo... I've had pretty bad luck whenever I've been an early adopter of unproven shit (i.e. Gen4 Glock 9mm's, Trijicon MRO's, anything that says Sig on it, etc lol).

I have a USPSA background as well and one thing I would advise you in this game is to buy once cry once. It is worth it to spend the cash on good gear. Plus if you don’t like it you are usually able to recoup most of your money.

You need to remove the trigger guard and magwell to get to the action screws, the forend flexes because it is held on with two bolts from the bottom, the bolts are all stupidly different sizes and different sized hex heads for no reason, it’s blocky, cheap and just honestly doesn’t make sense (well it does because it was clearly designed to be made with machines that could only machine parts of a certain size etc so it was dissected to be able to be done in a certain way but whatever).

The KRG Bravo is what I would go for in that entry level stock/chassis segment because I like a stock for the grip over a pistol grip and the amount of upgrades you can customise the stock with as you grow with the rifle.

images

Thanks for your follow-up!

Yeah, I do get the sense that there's just a bit too much "going on", too many sections/parts to maintain any real rigidity. Besides what you posted, from just looking at pics of the box/package it comes in, it seems wrong; it's small, really small, and I'm pretty sure if all the other chassis makers could've split up and shrunk their designs to fit in boxes that small without compromising anything, they would've done it already. I'm no mechanical engineer, but seems most all of the other established/proven chassis designs are one-piece up front or utilize a "backbone" type setup (like the Bravo). Think it's a "less is more" situation, where the less parts/sections, the more rigidity.

I'm just going to go with the Bravo.

I’m in Australia and they've been out here for a while and trust me I’m not mates with anyone that owns one of these things. The thing was in my mates shop and he asked me to take it apart for a customer.

Anyways I don’t like to be negative like this but I can’t help it with this thing. It’s just a cheap, poorly designed chassis and the fudds that buy them down here just get under my skin. You need to remove the trigger guard and magwell to get to the action screws, the forend flexes because it is held on with two bolts from the bottom, the bolts are all stupidly different sizes and different sized hex heads for no reason, it’s blocky, cheap and just honestly doesn’t make sense (well it does because it was clearly designed to be made with machines that could only machine parts of a certain size etc so it was dissected to be able to be done in a certain way but whatever). It would have been cool 10-20 years ago but since most people that live down here are that far behind what North America are doing that makes sense I guess.

The MDT ESS XL is a similar but much nicer chassis that’s actually rigid and one piece expect for the buttstock and is well made. The KRG Bravo is what I would go for in that entry level stock/chassis segment because I like a stock for the grip over a pistol grip and the amount of upgrades you can customise the stock with as you grow with the rifle.

images
I had my first TSP X assembled by a gun shop, I took it back, it was all loose and was so pissed off. They pretty much told me you get what you pay for. The shop didn't even give me the instructions manual that comes with the chassis.
I got in touch with Southern Cross Small Arms the guys who make it, they were fast to get me sorted out. I was very happy with the service and now having fun with my chassis. So my bad experience is because of gun shops not giving a crap and possibly having their friends work on customers rifles.
I have three of them now, they are awesome, rock solid, comfortable. I'm getting rid of my two MDT chassis, hate them. The action screw holes you mention being covered is smart, means the trigger guard can be placed in the correct position relative to the trigger, where on an MDT it is thick and positioned to have enough material to drill a hole.
I was going to buy a KRG XRAY but got my hands on one, the magazine fit is horrible, even with adjusting.
The forend on the TSP X is solid enough, no idea what you are talking about, is not like the ACC MDT sure, but I don't think it was ever meant to be.