• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern Precision Rifles 223AI, Defiance, Mullerworks. The Snake...

Bugholes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 26, 2008
Central TN
www.bugholes.com
Made some time to make something for myself, been busy making everybody elses stuff...
This one is a little different and made to turn heads and add a little wow factor. 223AI set up to shoot the heavies with .080 Freebore
Mullerworks 8 twist M24
-these barrels have been outstanding, this one never held a bit of copper and minimal powder fouling from the very beginning
-Spiral fluted by the Master Karl Feldkamp
-threaded 5/8-24 and finished at 24" for a little more speed
-Ive shot the 75 AMax and 80 SMK only, both were impressive
Defiance Deviant
-Weve just started carrying the Defiance actions, the first batch of actions just arrived this week
-This is my first experience with the Deviant, a well made action and a good foundation to a fine rifle
-beefy action, heavy tang, and NICE looking too
McM A5A
-sent this to RA Hoffer in WI for the snakeskin hydro dip, definitely an attention getter and well done by Randy and a FAST turn too
-pillar bedded and finished with a Badger M5 bottom and Jewell trigger

i449df.jpg

307qbg4.jpg

Deviant left side
zjxwro.jpg

Deviant right side
33ypf6o.jpg

seamless thread protector
29y4o5y.jpg

the bedding has high gloss because the finish on the action is so nice
2h3ojyf.jpg

early load development, 2 different bullets, two powder charges each. goofed a group waiting too long for the swirly winds to settle
2s7i802.jpg

Will be shooting this at 500 yds tomorrow if the winds will cooperate, im pretty sure this thing will stay in the ones and twos with some more load tweaking. Been shooting suppressed in the yard through windy conditions because shooting time has been a little harder to come by. I hope to start doing some re-sale barreled actions on these Deviants within a month or so, got quite a few backorders to fill first. We will have the very first Long action deviants in Mag and Lapua bolt face hopefully next week. Enjoy...

Greg, that's amazing! You build some incredible rifles.

That fluting on the barrel looks great. Is it done after the barrel is lapped from the maker, or before. Also what is the twist on that fluting?
Thanks

Greg,
Do you have any idea what speed your getting with those 75gr Amaxs? Or any idea what you expect to get?

Jesus,greg; that's a scary looking rifle! The scary part is if it stays in the 1's and 2's at 500! Always got one up your sleeve.........dave-1

That fluting on the barrel looks great. Is it done after the barrel is lapped from the maker, or before. Also what is the twist on that fluting?
Thanks
I dont know what the fluting twist rate is, Ive never asked for anything specific from Karl except where to start and where to stop. After laying out all the parts I had wished i had the fluting done in the same direction and helix as the bolt, but oh well- maybe I was micro managing

Greg,
Do you have any idea what speed your getting with those 75gr Amaxs? Or any idea what you expect to get?
I will chrono tomorrow, I usually dont pay attention to speeds for the first 75-100 rounds anyway as the barrels always speed up (I might have 50-60 rounds through now). I only run the chrono from the beginning when Im loading for a cartridge I have little/no experience with. I'm expecting 2900 or 2950 but we'll see. Everybody loves speed but Id rather chase after the accuracy take the speed that happens to come with it

That is a great looking rifle build .
In that 1st Pic. ? . just wondering about your Bolt-knob & it's positioning to ocular end of the scope when you rack the Bolt back ? .

That is a great looking rifle build .
In that 1st Pic. ? . just wondering about your Bolt-knob & it's positioning to ocular end of the scope when you rack the Bolt back ? .
This is an optical illusion in the pic, the clearance is there, especially when the tenebraex cap is open. The handle is 1/4" away from the ocular and the functional grip part of the knob is about an inch away. Ive never touched the scope when cycling

Holy smokes, that is one beautiful rifle. In the second picture, the barrel sure looks a lot longer than 24".

It is funny that you mentioned the fluting going in opposite directions. I noticed it, but I do not think it is distracting at all.

I really want a 223AI as my next rifle. Especially after seeing this post.

That is thinking outside the box, and not being afraid to try something different. Greg, it looks great. Now I know what I want my next stock to look like. Thanks for the pics, and great idea.

That thing is so freaking cool. Great job Greg. I really like the dip on the stock. Does it come in other colors of skin besides black/orange?

There's a bunch of snakeskin patterns available, I wanted a darker one to contrast the Stainless Steel. I have a much liter tan one on my 257Wby with a black barreled action, looks good and is a functional "camo" as we'll. Randy sprays a base coat before the dip, you could get a green base color that would come through any of the light/clear areas of the film. I almost went with a blue-green fade but chickened out in the end. Thought about the McM Montana/Carolina sunset pattern underneath the snakeskin

Very nice!
223AI that's the way to go. Nothing wrong with working on your own stuff.

Digging up an old thread here...
I haven't had the time to shoot this thing at all, work has been very busy and so fourth and so on. I also put on a 223 barrel from Mullerworks a couple months ago so I could shoot with my 10 year old son, we share ammo, loads, and he also shoots a Mullerworks barrel cut with the same 223 reamer. The accuracy of this 223 barrel has been remarkable, so I thought it appropriate to throw up a couple groups and give kudos to Dan Muller
jufkso.jpg

and this is what it looks like when you can remove the windage from the group:
29p5ap1.jpg

i picked up a mullerworks because of this thread for a 223ai build earlier this year. Its been awesome. Shoots the 80gr amaxs around 1/3" every time. Its been a fun gun to shoot at matches and for hunting. Its an 8 twist and also shoots the hornady 50gr vmaxs under half an inch. Top notch barrels in my opinion.