• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southern Precision Rifles, AKA bugholes, build

Niles Coyote

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2007
    South West, MI
    I want to take a moment and give a shout out to Southern Precision Rifles, also known as bugholes here on the hide. I had the privilege of purchasing a barreled action from Greg about a month ago. One fully trued stainless Remington short action, badger lug and Obermeyer 8.4 twist .264 bore with a Remington Varmint contour, chambered in 260. Chamber has a .299nk and .098 FB, set up for 139s/142s at AICS mag length.

Seen here with test target from the ad.

2aeqe50.jpg

rsfyj5.jpg

x6ct9s.jpg

My first order of business was to decide on a finish; left to right Sanded, Bead blast or Aluminum Oxide blast.

stainlessfinshes.jpg

I chose Aluminum Oxide as I wanted a low glare finish on this rifle for hunting.

When the barreled action arrived at my FFL it was the talk of the shop. Everyone had to take a look at it when my dealer opened the package. It was clear it was put together with care and attention to detail. Everyone complemented the matte finish and nice smooth bolt.

On arrival, pictured with my manners T4
    006-2.jpg

After bedding and ready for load work up.
    011.jpg

013.jpg

260ontarget001.jpg

Load work up started with the Hornady 140 grain A-max and right away I could tell this was going to be a shooter. Every load tried grouped under ¾ of an inch at 100y with a clear preference at 46.8-47.2 grains of H4831sc in Lapua brass. I played a little with the seating depth and found .010” to be the sweet spot; a charge of 47 grains printed five into a nice ctc .3 inch group with a velocity ~2790fps.

Tuesday I could be found at my 1000y range where my jbm drop sheet confirmed my velocity of 2790 out to 1000y. Unfortunately I was on a tight schedule and could not shoot for long. Set up and ready to go I made a first round cold bore at 400y, jumped to 600y and after blowing the first round from the wind on a 10” plate, I connected with the next three and moved to 700y, nailed that steel plate and then set my turrets for 1000y. I fired three shots holding 1 mil of wind and was rewarded with my tightest group to date.
    wink.gif

3 shots at 1000y = 6” on the 36" plate.
    002-4.jpg

Yeah, I think this is going to be a fine shooting rifle!

Thanks Greg, AKA Bugholes (on snipershide), AKA Southern Precision Rifles! You built me a great performing rifle.

Fellow shooters take note, have Southern Precision Rifles build your next rifle and you will be shooting bugholes too!
    grin.gif

Re: Southern Precision Rifles, AKA bugholes, build

Looks like a great shooter. I have bought some blanks from Greg but haven't used him for his machining skills yet. His work looks good and the results speak for themselves.

bugholes is the man!!! Does really nice work

Looks like a damn fine rifle. I like that finish on the metal also. Nice shooting and congratulations that's one HELL of a 1000 yard group. I would be proud of that group at half that distance.

Now I found out who beat me to that action. Glad it worked out for you. +1 for BUGHOLES.

Greg has my action now, screwing on 6mm rock 8tw chambered for .243 @ 26". just waiting for the call that it's ready.

Nice looking rifle

Jon-
    great to hear its shooting like that for ya, gotta love it when they come together quickly...

I should be doing either a 243 or 308 B/A for resale this week and punching test targets this weekend

Ten shots over the magnetospeed= 140 Amax, -.020 from the lands, lapua brass, CCI primer (standard) 44g H4350 (I am beginning to believe this lot of powder is a little slow as compared to velocity others are getting as it seems to need about a grain more to get similar velocity)

-----
    Avg = 2824
    SD = 7

I shot my (standard for the last few outings) 600 yard coldbore/cold shooter shot and drilled the 10" plate, some guys were using the 700 plates so I went to 800 and my second round out of the rifle for the day was on the 12" target but about 2/10 mil low.

I attached magnetospeed unit firmly to the rifle but not overly tight and shot at 100 and noticed no shift in impact so I went straight to my 800y drop data shot just before attaching the unit and started smacking the 12" plate. This is one fine shooting rifle.
    grin.gif

The load is shooting "Bug Holes" at 100, look out smack the smiley's and Montana Mule deer... 24 more days
    cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ten shots over the magnetospeed= 140 Amax, -.020 from the lands, lapua brass, CCI primer (standard) 44g H4350 (I am beginning to believe this lot of powder is a little slow as compared to velocity others are getting as it seems to need about a grain more to get similar velocity)

-----
    Avg = 2824
    SD = 7

I shot my (standard for the last few outings) 600 yard coldbore/cold shooter shot and drilled the 10" plate, some guys were using the 700 plates so I went to 800 and my second round out of the rifle for the day was on the 12" target but about 2/10 mil low.

I attached magnetospeed unit firmly to the rifle but not overly tight and shot at 100 and noticed no shift in impact so I went straight to my 800y drop data shot just before attaching the unit and started smacking the 12" plate. This is one fine shooting rifle.
    grin.gif

The load is shooting "Bug Holes" at 100, look out smack the smiley's and Montana Mule deer... 24 more days
    cool.gif
    </div></div>

You must have a bad lot of powder or something. I can go as high as 43.2 on the H4350 before pressure builds up. Thats shooting a Berger 140gr Target VLD. Actually 43gr shot the best for me. But it will differ barrel to barrel, obviously.

I have about 7 loadings on this brass with zero issues and no signs of pressure... I think your right, its slooow.