• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southwest ULR March 2019 Match Results - Chris S - 375 Cheytac

ScottYo308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014

After 2 solid months of rain, Southwest ULR held the first match of 2019 Radelow Blades spring series. It seemed like all the shooters of Southwest ULR mean business in 2019 with new and bigger long guns. The weather was fantastic! High corrected altitude and almost no wind equaled many impacts, the most we have recorded thus far. Every shooter connected at multiple distances over 1 mile, no goose eggs today!

Randy Allen our reigning Top Gun and sporting a brand new 37XC connected twice at 1760 and twice 2127, proving heavy is the head who wears the Southwest ULR crown. Gina Rossi was fighting a sticky bolt, with her 416 Barret, which needed assistance with a dead blow hammer, that didn’t stop her from her personal best, hits 5 at 1760 and a solo impact at 2127. Robert Propios got his 338 Lapua doped in quickly at 1760 scoring 7 impacts and then followed up with an impact at the longest target at 2625. Bill Wood was the first shooter to connect at all distances, 6 at 1760, one at 2127 and one at 2628, after his Facebook fame developing 50 cal loads and 375/50 wildcat Bill elected to shoot his 375 Cheytac. Kurt Stone was all business showing up with a brand new 375 Cheytac over his infamous 50BMG, and Robert Messenger with a 375 Cheytac performed identical with the exact same hits at the same distances 5 at 1760 and 4 at 2127. This was Ernesto’s first time with Southwest ULR shooting a 338 Lapua and he shot great connecting with all targets 6 hits at 1760, 2 hits at 2026 and one hit at 2630, a freshman performance like this makes him a force to be reckoned with on upcoming events. Carlos Perazza also showed up with a new toy, a 375 Allen Magnum, and was on fire with 6 hit in a row at 1760, and then unfortunately bent an extractor, with the big gun down Carlos salvaged the day by switching to his 338 Lapua and made an additional 3 hits at 2126 and a single at 2630. Bruno Niestatek ditched his 338 Snipetac in favor of a freshly barreled 9.5 x 77 (AKA 375 Cheytac) and it proved to be a wise decision, with multiple hits at each distance 6 at 1760, 3 at 2126 and 2 at 3630. On any given Sunday Bruno’s 155 points would put him in contention as the Top Gun.

Tony Wong, took full advantage of the conditions and a brand new 375 Cheytac, dropped a sighter and then rained down fire and fury at the 1760 target cleaning the stage with 10/10 impacts (100% hit ratio), 4 hits at 2127 and a single hit at 2630, finishing with 233 points. 10/10 at 1760 is a new Southwest ULR stage record previously held by Tu Nguyen’s 8/10 at 1760

Scott Austin’s new 375 wildcat was not ready so he shot his retired 416 Barrett, a Vortex Gen2 Razor was mounted before the match and zeroed it during the first stage at 1760 scoring 4 hits in the process, and then followed Tony’s direction at 2126 intentionally dropping a sighter and went 10/10 (100% hit ratio) and then 2 hits at 2630, Spoiling Tony’s newly held and short lived Southwest ULR record, finishing with 260 points as the runner up.

Unfortunately for Bruno, Tony and Scott, who all shot amazingly well, Chris S. simply shot better!

Chris S. shooting a brand new and self smithed 375 Cheytac, Bat Action, March Optic and Cutting Edge .375 400Gr Lazers at 3050 fps were too much for anyone. At 1760 his sighter was a no call, without a sighter and seemingly un-phased he then impressively cleaned the stage 10/10 (100% hit ratio), at 2126 he connected 7/10, and a solo impact at 2630. That single impact was enough best Scott and his new 10/10 at 2126 Southwest ULR record. Chris finished the day on top with 273 points and is the current Top Gun, he was awarded with $150 of Cutting Edge Bullets and is the currently leading the points towards winning the custom Radelow Blades Knife.

Congratulations Chris S.

Special thanks to Tu Nguyen who did not shoot but still came out to be our Match Director.

April 7nd is the next Southwest ULR match, and registration is currently open. Register at http://southwestULR.com

Southwest ULR Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1021525754673338/

Southwest ULR Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCKvRJqbVLvbw40m7f24igg

Win a custom knife at the Radelow Blades Spring Series by Southwest ULR more information at http://southwestULR.com

What McMillan stock is that?

It looks like everyone went 375?

I like those stocks.
If I shoot off of a bipod does the 3 inch forend rule still apply?
I ask because I have the LBR HBR and Super BR stocks as well.
If I add a bipod and they are legal I wouldn't mind giving your venue a try.

Attachments

• IMG_20170709_144802486.jpg
    IMG_20170709_144802486.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20181123_091512852.jpg
    IMG_20181123_091512852.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 92
Awesome shooting! Please continue to provide updates, it would be great to be at one of these events just to soak up some knowledge

I like those stocks.
If I shoot off of a bipod does the 3 inch forend rule still apply?
I ask because I have the LBR HBR and Super BR stocks as well.
If I add a bipod and they are legal I wouldn't mind giving your venue a try.

The rules are a living document. That said, I'm just a participant.

P.S.: Nice stocks!

Any chance of getting a spreadsheet of that data or has that never been done?

-Alex

Spreadsheet hasn't been done to my knowledge. At least one of the Match Directors is a computer professional, and they want to have a vacation from that stuff. I wrote a Fortran scoring program after the last match that prints out a summary of the score and hit information for each shooter. If that output is of interest (it isn't spreadsheet format, but I did put the last match results through it), I can send it if you pm me your email address.

OMFG Fortran lol... I haven't stumbled across that in a few decades. Sure, I'll take a look. I'll also add your matches to the list I've been maintaining if you'd like. It is too late to be distributed with our match acceptance notifications though.

-Alex

File sent. I'm sure the OP, Scott, who is one of our match directors will be back to respond to your list offer. Thanks.

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the interest in Southwest ULR! Happy to see some chatter. This last event went exceptionally well, 2 shooters went 10/10 at 1760 and one went 10/10 at 2130, unbelievable!

Im working on a more formal reporting of the scores / results, right now we just take a picture of the manual score-sheets. All of the results are posted on southwestULR.com > results. We are probably going to need to bring a computer into the field to score... More batteries :(

Lynn, come on down, we have a provision in the rules for shooting off a bench rest support with a max of 3 inch forend, the whole package needs to be under 45 lbs. OR... Just come and shoot for fun and we will scratch / DQ your final score.

Yes it appears that everyone has gone the route of the 375. 4 of our shooters have switched to 37XC on the deserttech SRS platform and alot of the others have gone to 375 Cheytacs. 3 or 4 of us are shooting 416 Barrett and 338 Lapua.

Hopefully my new 50 degree 375 snipetac M5 will be up soon... Its been a nightmare dealing with all the components vendors, building a custom firearm will either teach you patience or make you go bat shit insane.

ScottYo308
If I shoot from the ground using a bipod does the stock width still need to be under 3 inches?
I make weight at 28 pounds but my forend is 3.5 inches.

Im working on a more formal reporting of the scores / results, right now we just take a picture of the manual score-sheets. All of the results are posted on southwestULR.com > results. We are probably going to need to bring a computer into the field to score... More batteries :(

So this is a generalized warning towards anyone running matches, not you guys in particular...

As I've gathered match records I've seen a lot of poor record keeping in ELR. It isn't occurring to people to keep records at all in some cases or to have only final scores retained and things like that. Seen two cases were good data was lost when it wasn't backed up. I have data from a bunch of matches where it is just first names or the distances for targets aren't shown. None of these are issues of laziness, it is just data that people don't think to record and often times ELR events are run by people that haven't run a lot of matches before. We made mistakes early on with not recording each shot as a hit or miss and just counting hits as we didn't have a multiplier in those days so I am by no means without sin.

Now we are keeping shooter, spotter, caliber, gun weight, scope make, bullet make, shot order, team name, ballistics solver, stock make, device used for additional elevation... Some of that we really wish we had recorded in previous matches but it is what it is. My advice is simple. Keep everything and keep several copies.

There is no reason to take a full on laptop out. Scoring for ELR matches is easy enough that you can do it all on an iPad running Numbers or excel. The base calculations are obvious and for your sequential shot bonus, it can be a simple if then test. Just set up the spreadsheet to enter 1s for hits and 0s for misses and your data entry is easy even without a keyboard. You can generate results as a pdf and send it or airdrop it to whoever wants it.

-Alex

At our matches we have a couple shooters who don't like filling out the paperwork which includes most of what Sandow listed.
We went to an online fillable form you printout and if you don't do it you don't shoot.
I keep spares in my truck for those that show up last minute.
So far so good.

Reactions: Geno C.
ScottYo308
If I shoot from the ground using a bipod does the stock width still need to be under 3 inches?
I make weight at 28 pounds but my forend is 3.5 inches.

No, if you shoot off a bipod that negates the 3 inch forend provision. Curious though... we copied that from the f-open rules, is 3.5 the norm or is 3 the norm.

So this is a generalized warning towards anyone running matches, not you guys in particular...

As I've gathered match records I've seen a lot of poor record keeping in ELR. It isn't occurring to people to keep records at all in some cases or to have only final scores retained and things like that. Seen two cases were good data was lost when it wasn't backed up. I have data from a bunch of matches where it is just first names or the distances for targets aren't shown. None of these are issues of laziness, it is just data that people don't think to record and often times ELR events are run by people that haven't run a lot of matches before. We made mistakes early on with not recording each shot as a hit or miss and just counting hits as we didn't have a multiplier in those days so I am by no means without sin.

Now we are keeping shooter, spotter, caliber, gun weight, scope make, bullet make, shot order, team name, ballistics solver, stock make, device used for additional elevation... Some of that we really wish we had recorded in previous matches but it is what it is. My advice is simple. Keep everything and keep several copies.

There is no reason to take a full on laptop out. Scoring for ELR matches is easy enough that you can do it all on an iPad running Numbers or excel. The base calculations are obvious and for your sequential shot bonus, it can be a simple if then test. Just set up the spreadsheet to enter 1s for hits and 0s for misses and your data entry is easy even without a keyboard. You can generate results as a pdf and send it or airdrop it to whoever wants it.

-Alex

Point taken and agree, thanks for the feedback.

For Lynn also.... we have some shooters that wish to remain anonymous ( probably for this current climate of guns are bad... my job... background check etc... I understand)

We have been allowing people to have there "Alias" published and in some cases it is just their first name, never the less it is not their real full name. Instead of trying to manage fake names, Ive been contemplating just saying "anonymous shooter" and /or not publishing do you guys run into this?

In 15 years of helping to run FCSA matches and 5 years of Ko2M, I've seen one person request anonymity and their professional background justified it. We still require their real names for waivers and such, we just don't publish it.

-Alex

Reactions: ScottYo308
Actually the stock in question is a McMillan LBR for fifty caliber lightgun use not a F-Class stock.
My thought was adding a bipod and shooting prone.

And we do go by aliases because we don't want LEO, Federal or just ordinary shooters getting there homes robbed while attending a shooting match.
Same with photos I try and ask if it's alright to post them.