• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Soviet Typhoon-3 rifle [ Тайфун-3 ] - not a Sniper, only Rimfire but I think vintage

PMB27

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2023
Poland
At first I posted that thread in Rimfire Section but was advised to also ask for assistance at Vintage Rifle section - so here is my question :

I wonder if there are Colleagues who might have knowledge about Soviet Typhoon-3 rifle [ Тайфун-3 ]?
According to quite limited Russian web sources Typhoon-3 rifles were produced from 1969 till 1979 and only 130 rifles in total were manufactured. A pair of rimfire and centrefire rifles were designed - Typhoon-1 in 7,62x54r and Typhoon-3 in .22 LR. They were suposed to be used by top level sport shooters in USSR - it was not the rifle for recerational shooting at sport clubs for amateurs.
Тайфун-1 production data.png

Тайфун-3 production data.png

I happen to acquire a Typhoon-3 rifle, unfortunately without original documents, manual, factory accessories - there is even no story to buy- no info about the rifle's past, where was used, by whom, how it get to Poland - nothing.
When looking at the rifle, it turned out that it has mismatched serial numbers - receiver and bolt have M247 serial number, while the handguard and stock have "1202", the base of the front sight is also marked with s/n "1202" (?!), while the rearsight has s/n "235" - so it seems that it is a Frankenstein assembled from 3-4 different rifle parts :cry:

The beast is so rare that despite those faults I decided to buy it anyway.

What I would like to know? First - it there were only 130 rifles produced how my rifle can have s/n M 247? How do they numbered the rifles? There is no manufacture date stamped but I guess my rifle should be from the late production period. In UK there is a Typhoon-3 rifle with s/n M 060. Was there an export version of Typhoon-3? My rifle is marked on the top of the receiver "MADE IN USSR VOSTOK <ГИС> M247" - if only top Soviet shooters were to get that rifles why bother to mark it in English? What about the stock serial number - it should match the rifle - mine has a "huge" serial number 1202 - what was the pattern in stock markings for Typhoon-3?

Here is my Typhoon/Frankenstein :
Typhoon-3 M247 1202.jpg

I'll be grateful for any info concerning Typhoon-3 production batches, markings etc.

I've never heard of the rifle. Now I'm glad you've shared this. That looks simply accurate. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. Sorry I've no information to share on it. Good luck in that endeavor, I'll be along for the knowledge.

My rifle is marked on the top of the receiver "MADE IN USSR VOSTOK <ГИС> M247" - if only top Soviet shooters were to get that rifles why bother to mark it in English? What about the stock serial number - it should match the rifle - mine has a "huge" serial number 1202 - what was the pattern in stock markings for Typhoon-3?
Neat rifle that I have never heard about. Those appear to be hand-made rifles, made for a decade in small numbers, for an equally small number of top Russian shooters. That said, the mis-matched serial number suggest it was cobbled together and perhaps marked for export.

As to the English stamping that suggests an export purpose, here's a pet theory - and this is only a theory. In 1991 the USSR gov't collapsed along with it's entire economy. People, the factories, and entire industries were desperate for foreign currency. So, during the 1990s all kinds of former state assets were sold at rock-bottom prices to anyone with money outside Russia, which meant selling things to Europe, USA, Middle East, etc when possible. Maybe some of the old Typhoon rifles were sold-off during those desperate times of the 1990s, and perhaps that's how one landed in the UK, and perhaps that's also the story behind your rifle? Just a pet theory. I wouldn't worry about the mis-matched numbers, it's an old and rare target rifle as-is. Enjoy it(!).

Reactions: Charger442
The theory that my Typhoon could have been assembled from what left at the factory or a sport club and sold in the 90's seems plausible. That might be an explanation.

And yes - that is a neat rifle :)

Guess what that is and what it is for?
rear stock attachment rod.png

This is the stock mounting axis - it is welded under the receiver.

The stock with a cheekpiece is removable.
Тайфун-3 (XVII).jpg

The photoes above are of another Typhoon rifle. I haven't done this to my Typhoon yet.

So far I reached this level of striptease ;)
Typhoon-3 stock mounting axis.jpg

What I would like to know? First - it there were only 130 rifles produced how my rifle can have s/n M 247? How do they numbered the rifles? There is no manufacture date stamped but I guess my rifle should be from the late production period. In UK there is a Typhoon-3 rifle with s/n M 060.

Sounds like the OPL M73B2 scopes that were made in France right after WWII. Maybe about half a dozen are known to exist, but their serial numbers cover a range of something like 500 numbers. There definitely wasn't that many M73B2 scopes made!

Really cool rifle, thanks from putring it here instead of the rimfire section! If anyone here knows anything about these unique rifles, my money is on @buffalowinter for the knowledge (it seriously wouldn't surprise me if he also had one in his awesome collection!).

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I've posted a range report at the Rimfire section - https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ifle-Тайфун-3-search-for-information.7180250/ - if anyone interested to check how my Typhoon-3 shoots,

Here I'd like to further explore the peculiarities of the production of the Typhoon-3 rifles.
I managed to find information that at least 5 rifles were imported and used by the Armed Forces of Polish People's Republic ( before 1990 ) - in 2015 Army decommissioned those rifles and offered for sale on the civilian market. They were in such a bad technical condition that the company that bought them decided to scrap them and sell them for parts.
I was only able to determine the serial numbers of those 5 scrapped rifles : H307; H345; H 359; H366; P1321.
In the Czech Republic I found 3 advertisments of Typhoon-3 rifles for sale - only one serial number I managed to catch : H113
One rifle, sold in UK, has the serial number : M060.
My Typhoon-3 has the serial number M247 ( the stock, apparently taken form other rifle has the number : 1202 ).
So, at least 3 letter prefixes - H, P, M - and serial numbers from 060 up to 1321 (?). And allegedly only 130 rifles manufactured.
What could have been the numbering system for these rifles?

Reactions: camocorvette
Another small update :
These are the Typhoon-3 rifles I managed to get familiar with, but only via interet photoes. Unfortunately this is a very superficial acquaintance with no further details on these rifles :(.
Eight rifles in the pictures ( 4 from the Czech Republic, 1 from Bulgaria, 1 from UK and mine ) plus information about 5 scrapped, which gives 13 rifles - 10% of the likely total number produced.
Maybe someone will add few more?

Typhoon-3 known rifles.jpg