• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spare parts for match shooting

*Nine

Tactical Operator
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
USA
What spare parts do you guys keep on hand during matches? I shoot a lot of AR15 matches and I always keep a kit with spare lower parts, bolts, firing pins, etc... I've never brought any spare bolt gun parts with me to matches though, and fortunately I've never needed any parts during a match. I figure it might be prudent to keep on hand some simple spare parts. What kind of bolt gun parts do you guys keep on hand for match shooting in case there's a problem? Specifically, I'm interested in Rem 700 parts.

Re: Spare parts for match shooting

I keep a bolt tool to tare it down in case I pierce a primer. A set of allen wrenches have saved the day more than once. A spare scope is a good thing to throw in the truck as well.

I don't carry any spare parts. Just some tools like a bolt tool, allens, tools to tighten anything that could loosen and some cleaning tools like a chamber tool and lug area. Just to clean out areas if needed.

I've been shooting High Power for about 35 years and I've never needed to replace a part on the range. Most of that was shooting my M1A and didn't even have a cleaning rod on the line.

That changed. When I went to the AR for High Power, the first match I loaded my 600 yard rounds per the OAL listed in the Seirra Reloading manual for their 80 SMK. I hand just chambered a round, then caught a wind change and tried to extract it. The bullet stayed in the chamber. I didn't have a cleaning rod, there wasn't one on the range. My truck was on the road to the pits by the 300 yard line. I had 14 saved rounds. That's 140 points out of 200.

So I do keep a cleaning rod in my stool, but since, I haven't had to use it.

Still I never had a rifle break and need parts. But then again, I use to practice a lot and had all the bugs worked out before I went to the range (except for the long bullets).

I keep an extractor in my bag and a pick to insert it with. I keep allen and torx wrenches for all screws including ones on the trigger. Also keep lighter fluid to use for cleaning my trigger. I use my shoe laces to field strip the bolt if need be. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. I have allen keys and other tools in my pack, I was just thinking of picking up a spare extractor since I've seen one die during a match and whatever other small parts you guys recommend. Maybe I'll just grab an extractor and call it good.

I carry a spare trigger, it's small and ads no weight. I saw a competitor snap a sear on a Jewell once and he had to finish the match borrowing my rifle (cause I'm a damn nice guy). A guy could use a spare firing pin too, I saw one snap in half on Glen Seekins at Oregon Snipers Challenge this year. A pierced primer can screw them up too.

I could probably swing a spare trigger and firing pin assembly. Obviously there are some failures that would prevent the gun from being repaired in the field, but if I can pick up some simple parts such as a trigger or an extractor then I'd feel a bit more prepared in the relatively unlikely case of a failure of something.

Im just going to bring a spare rifle. That firing pin really hosed me. Jason even had to modify it for me that night so i could shoot the next day.

Firing pin (or bolt if you can) and a spare trigger wouldn't be a bad thing. Only problem is your zero if you pull your gun out of your stock to fix it. They don't always return regardless of how good your bedding is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im just going to bring a spare rifle. That firing pin really hosed me. Jason even had to modify it for me that night so i could shoot the next day.

Firing pin (or bolt if you can) and a spare trigger wouldn't be a bad thing. Only problem is your zero if you pull your gun out of your stock to fix it. <span style="color: #3333FF">They don't always return regardless of how good your bedding is. </span> </div></div>
Craig,
Arent you selling your rifle, the one that the trigger group comes out with one allen screw?... LOL
Is is it going to make you rethink your decision? I didn't think so.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im just going to bring a spare rifle. That firing pin really hosed me. Jason even had to modify it for me that night so i could shoot the next day.

Firing pin (or bolt if you can) and a spare trigger wouldn't be a bad thing. Only problem is your zero if you pull your gun out of your stock to fix it. <span style="color: #3333FF">They don't always return regardless of how good your bedding is. </span> </div></div>
Craig,
Arent you selling your rifle, the one that the trigger group comes out with one allen screw?... LOL
Is is it going to make you rethink your decision? I didn't think so.
SScott</div></div>

Haha. I will have to take my chances with removing/replacing the action in the case of a trigger failure.

I carry an Otis kit with me to the range and to matches and even though I haven't had to personally use it, it's come in handy when others' rifles have gone down. For my bolt gun I generally only carry a spare extractor and a some bits for the trigger. I had my trigger fall apart at a match once so I decided to throw in some of the parts since they were small and light. For the AR-15 I carry a spare extractor and gas rings just in case, probably not needed but again, light and small. Other than that I carry a spare CR2032 battery and some spare screws for my cheekpiece, rings, and base. None of it really adds any bulk to the Otis kit and it weighs less than a pound so why not have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.