• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo Spark has 6.5 142 SMK

Ammunition for sale

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US

Have you shot these and if yes, how do they compare to PRIME or Hornady?

So i was able to test some of this as well as some of their other ammo. All of the stuff they are making has been solid and sub MOA accurate in multiple different rifles. I would tell you to at least try a box for sure. It will be better or on par with the other stuff for sure. Good group of guys there too.

Example of the 135s I tested previously - rifle is HOT....

1621353582927.png

I have shot several of SPARK's offerings and agree with the assessment of quality BUT I am unfamiliar with the 142 grain SMK bullet. My comment had more to do with how this particular cartridge performs against other cartridge/bullet combinations either by SPARK or other manufacturers

I've chrono'ed with about 20 rounds at a time. Pretty much, it's consistent... On the Tikka, it gets much worse at the barrel gets very hot.

The LMT seems to be less sensitive to a hot barrel and ES / SD, though it still happens.

The Spark Munitions stuff tends to be hot, but the overall ES/SD is pretty great. The 121s had single digit SD, and the 135s shot really well even though the SD was low two digits.

Both were better than my Hornady 140s / 147s....

Reactions: Baron23
    Nik, here is an example of the 142SMK...

The bullet is plenty capable

Attachments

• 60C86785-8C0C-4E6A-9F4B-D6246B087E52.jpeg
      60C86785-8C0C-4E6A-9F4B-D6246B087E52.jpeg
      605.3 KB · Views: 37
    I tell you what… I’ll shoot a T3X A1 tac, a LMT MWS 24 SS, and a LMT with a 18 Bartlein (sp) SS.

And I’ll lab radar it all….

2210376C-983C-4E67-AEB8-825AEA91638E.jpeg

1C2D2706-FA04-4A37-80E8-19F43760F6DB.jpeg

I really have no doubt that it’s gonna work well

Last edited:
    Tikka T3XA1

Total number of shots
    10​
    Units velocityfps
    Units distancesyd
    Units kinetic energyft-lbf
    Units weightgrain (gr)
    Stats - Average
    2707.49​
    fps
    Stats - Highest
    2723.05​
    fps
    Stats - Lowest
    2701.32​
    fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread
    21.74​
    fps
    Stats - Std. Dev
    7.47​
    fps

LMT MWS 18inch Bartline (sp) barrel

Total number of shots
    10​
    Units velocityfps
    Units distancesyd
    Units weightgrain (gr)
    Stats - Average
    2707.37​
    fps
    Stats - Highest
    2739.86​
    fps
    Stats - Lowest
    2685.14​
    fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread
    54.73​
    fps
    Stats - Std. Dev
    16.36​
    fps

They have the small rifle primer of this ammo as well. I’m not a reloader, so what’s the pro/ con for those vs the large rifle primer?

Well, I'm not sure how my lower the SD was going to get with the SRP for this factor ammo. However, it's very consistent

At 7. 47 SD with 21.74ES in a bolt gun is pretty darned good!

FWIW: I screwed up the 24 in LMT barrel and shot some other ammo in that string. However, it was actually doing better than the bartlein barrel on my other LMT! WOW.

It was something like 11SD and 26 ES.

They have the small rifle primer of this ammo as well. I’m not a reloader, so what’s the pro/ con for those vs the large rifle primer?

well, I guess we’re about to find out… It appears that I bought another 250 of the small rifle primers version.

what I can tell you is that the velocity is lower. However, the SD should be significantly lower too.

of course, the first series of shots I did were so low to begin with I’m wondering how much lower the SD will really get with small rifle primers.

Reactions: Zane1844
    well, I guess we’re about to find out… It appears that I bought another 250 of the small rifle primers version.

what I can tell you is that the velocity is lower. However, the SD should be significantly lower too.

of course, the first series of shots I did were so low to begin with I’m wondering how much lower the SD will really get with small rifle primers.I chrono’d only 15 rounds of the 144gr for 3, 5 round groups. My SD was around 13-15 if I remember right.
    I chrono’d 15rds of the 144’s for 3, 5 round groups and my SD was around 15 or so.

I shot a couple 3 round .3MOA groups with that ammo, 5-8 rds I get get up to .5-.7MOA, but that’s mostly my error.

I had great success this past weekend shooting out to 1265yds.

I wish I got 250rds of the 142’s though since they have better BC.

Overall, I think Spark loads great ammo.

Reactions: GBMaryland
    They do make good ammo. It tend to be on the hot side, which results in the bolt sticking on the Tikka T3X. However, it's not a safety concern or anything, and the ammo doesn't exhibit signs of pressure.

This was the lab radar information for the LMT MWS 24in 6.5CM 1:8 barrel and the 142 Spark Munitions:

Series No
    20​
    Total number of shots
    20​
    Units velocityfps
    Units distancesyd
    Units weightgrain (gr)
    Stats - Average
    2780.47​
    fps
    Stats - Highest
    2801.14​
    fps
    Stats - Lowest
    2754.83​
    fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread
    46.31​
    fps
    Stats - Std. Dev
    12.74​
    fps

The box says 2775fps, and this is the only weapon that was getting that.

This was the lab radar information for the LMT MWS 24in 6.5CM 1:8 barrel and the 142 Spark Munitions:

Series No
    20​
    Total number of shots
    20​
    Units velocityfps
    Units distancesyd
    Units weightgrain (gr)
    Stats - Average
    2780.47​
    fps
    Stats - Highest
    2801.14​
    fps
    Stats - Lowest
    2754.83​
    fps
    Stats - Ext. Spread
    46.31​
    fps
    Stats - Std. Dev
    12.74​
    fps

The box says 2775fps, and this is the only weapon that was getting that.
    Wow, I have a 26” Bartlein and I’m getting an average of 2674 with my 144’s. That’s fast for a 24” barrel.