• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spartan 260 Precision & 7RSAUM Hunter

Overflow10

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2009
Rancho Murieta, CA
Today I finally had the chance to drop by Spartan Rifles and pick up the hunting rifle Marc built for me. This summer he re-barreled my Rem 5R 308 into a Rem 260 for LR tactical as well as built me 7mm RSAUM for hunting. The RSAUM is in front of the pic with the 260 tactical in the back. Specs on rifles:

260 Precision
- Rem 260
- Obermeyer stainless steel barrel, RV contour, 1:8.4 twist and finished at 22"
- trued Rem 700 action
- Manners T stock with chassis
- Timney trigger
- RAD removable brake

7mm RSAUM Hunter
- 7mm RSAUM set to load long with 162/168/180 grain bullets
- #5 Brux stainless steel barrel, 1:9 twist, fluted, finished at +/-25"
- Stiller Predator LA
- Timney trigger
- Manners TA BDL stock
- RAD removable brake (and thread cover)
- target was 8.5lbs w/o optics and came in at 9.2lbs (w/bipod)

2chm907.jpg

Fit and finish on both rifles is outstanding. The Rem 260 was not a full build but a re-barrel/truing of my Rem 5R 308 that had upgrades I had made on my own. The 7 RSAUM was a full build from scratch with the stock matching the one I already had on the Rem 260. Marc pays attention to details; as an example when Marc first handed me the RSAUM I thought he had forgotten to add the brake. Even upon close inspection I could not see or feel the joint.

i4hitu.jpg

5c0kf7.jpg

Obviously I have not been able to shoot the RSAUM yet but I can report on the Rem 260. Prior to the re-barrel the 308 shot 3/4" when I did my job. After the re-barrel I initially tested both 139 Scenars and 130 Berger VLDs using H4350. Both patterned 0.5" and under and were virtually the same at 100/200/300. Even at 600 it was a toss up as well with both loads giving me 2.75"-3.5" groups at 600yds. Settled on a load using the 130s that drops 7.8 mils at 1K and using JBM indicates the muzzle velocity is about 2950fps. My 13 yr old son shot his first prone high power match with it last weekend (all prone with 15 rnds at 300/600/800/1000) and shot 150-9x at 300yds and 145-3 at the 800yds stage. Not bad for only his second time shooting 600+ (do you hear the proud Papa tone in my voice?). The point though is the rifle is doing its job very well.

Thanks Marc - I love these twins you built for me!

33bzszb.jpg

ek4v80.jpg

Re: Spartan 260 Precision & 7RSAUM Hunter

Great looking guns. We need to talk about your prone shooting platform though
wink.gif

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking guns. We need to talk about your prone shooting platform though
wink.gif

-SBS </div></div>

Whadja mean???
wink.gif
The scope, bipod and tac set up?? LOL. It was more of a fun match with some beginners (call them F-Fun class) where getting their feet wet although I seem to recall a discussion late last year about on the NorCal forum about the possibility of an official F-Tactical class.

SG

They look good right next to each other Steve and they make a great father/son rifle set.

I heard Miles beat some grown men with a lot more experience that day I love it.

Marc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....I heard Miles beat some grown men with a lot more experience that day I love it.

Marc </div></div>

LOL - yes he is catching on well but the 1K line gave him some fits.

Got to take the 7RSAUM out a bit today to break in the barrel. Just ran some Berger 180 hunting VLDs and 162 AMAX with H4831SC from 58gr through 59.5gr in 0.5 increments to see where any pressure might be building up. Three shots with each bullet/load. The barrel was cleaned before each load.

The 162 AMAX were all 0.6-0.7 moa. However it seemed to like the 180 vlds better. The groups were about 0.5 moa but it like the 59.0 best going 0.2 moa.

Rifle feels great. I was amazed how little recoil there is. Can't wait to really work up a load with these 180s. Thanks again Marc!

xfyo9z.png

Yeah I can see you really need to spend a lot more time working up a load with those 180's ;-)

Good shooting Steve and thank you for the work.

Marc

Dang it! don't show me stuff like this I want to shoot my rifle that's for sale.