• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spartan 6.5 CM

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
21meyok.jpg

2rmt8wp.jpg

f4r920.jpg

A couple of years ago I had Marc re-barrel a rifle and was impressed with him so I told him I would have him build me a rifle.

I bought the Stiller Tac 30 AW from Bugholes, shipped it to Marc and he did the rest. Told him I wanted it chambered in 6.5 CM and he was to do the rest. He ordered and picked out the color for the A-3 stock. He cut the barrel the length he thought best and finished the rifle.

Marc called about 1 month before deer season and told me the rifle was finished. Told him that was great, but it would be after deer season before I got to try it out.

I was talking with a friend who is getting a 6.5 built and he was telling me the builder had called and told him how well the rifle shot and that it would ship 2-11-13. With that, I thought it time to get this rifle out.

I had a PST 6-24 at the house, so I slipped it on and loaded up some shells. My nephew was coming up this past Sat. to shoot so I had things ready to go. Aside from getting a zero, we just shot steel that I have out. I knew it was shooting good, but didn’t know just how good.

I sent Marc a text Sat. evening telling him the rifle shot great, but thought I would take it out yesterday afternoon and see what it would do. Loaded up some 140 Amax over 42 grains of 4350 and headed out. I was going to shoot 5-5 shot groups, but after shooting 3 groups I thought this to be a waste of bullets.

Thanks Marc, for a build that went really smooth and shoots great. If your “SH Group Build” had an action that shifted gears on the other / correct side (for me), I would be all over one.

Re: Spartan 6.5 CM

Nice rifle! Looks like great shooter. I've got a 260 in an A-3, trued 700, Pacnor 1:8, 24". Great shooter too. Mine about due for rebarrel. What's your bbl lenght and how fast are you pushing 140s / 42 gr H-4350?

The barrel is finished at ~25 inches.

I backed into the speed on JBM, based on hits on steel out to 460 yards. It worked out to just below 2800 fps.

After reading some in the reloading section, I think I'll move up with the amount of powder. No pressure signs at 42, and I see where some are in the 43.5-44 grain of 4350 with the 140's.

I ran 142 SMK over 44gr to 2875 for a bit. Shot great, no obvious pressure signs, but noticed primer pockets getting loose prematurely. Backed off to 42.5, gets 2750 in my rifle. Got 8 loadings, annealing every 3. Finally tossed brass because donuts. Who knows, I like to think you may extend bbl life a bit by not running quite so hot. Good luck, I think your really going to like 6.5.

Looks like I have a lot of shooting to keep up with you. Nice groups and nice rifle.

Marc has done up a 6.5 creed and 7-08 for us and hopefully another in 6x47l or 6 creed in the near future. Great guy to deal with.

Thanks for the good words everyone and thank you Arnie for being such a great guy to work with. Hopefully we can meet in person someday for a match or hunting trip somewhere. Dealing with you was a unique and pleasant experience.

"Hi I'd like a left handed 6.5 CM"
"I can do that. Would a Stiller action be ok?"
"If you say so"
"Ok, what kind of barrel?"
"I don't know you tell me"
"Well I have some Bartleins here in stock and they're excellent. What contour?"
"I don't know, whichever one works best"
"Ok, what are you going to use it for?"
"Shooting"
"Um, uh, ok well what kind of trigger would you like?"
"A good one. Damn son don't you build these for a living?"
"Uh, yessir, uh, what about the stock colors?"
"Marc, just build me a nice 6.5 CM and tell me what I owe you"

HA! I'm exaggerating a little but not much;) I know you have more than a few custom sticks so I'm glad you're happy with it and I'd be happy to build you another when you're ready.

Marc

Marc, I took the rifle out again yesterday after loading some bullets a little higher up the scale. Went with 42.4 / 42.8 and 43.2 grains of 4350 with 140's 10 off the lands. Got to shoot 42.8 and 43.2 at both 100 and 200 before the barrel got warm enough that the mirage made it hard to see. 42.8 shot in the ~3-4 range. Both shot around 1/2 moa @ 200. No pressure sign with the 43.2, but I went back and loaded more 42.8 to try this afternoon.

I'm liking this rifle more and more each time I get to shoot it and hopefully this will not be the last bussiness we do. If we get the deer herd built back up around here maybe you can come and shoot a few.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Hi I'd like a left handed 6.5 CM"
"I can do that. Would a Stiller action be ok?"
"If you say so"
"Ok, what kind of barrel?"
"I don't know you tell me"
"Well I have some Bartleins here in stock and they're excellent. What contour?"
"I don't know, whichever one works best"
"Ok, what are you going to use it for?"
"Shooting"
"Um, uh, ok well what kind of trigger would you like?"
"A good one. Damn son don't you build these for a living?"
"Uh, yessir, uh, what about the stock colors?"
"Marc, just build me a nice 6.5 CM and tell me what I owe you"

HA! I'm exaggerating a little but not much;) I know you have more than a few custom sticks so I'm glad you're happy with it and I'd be happy to build you another when you're ready.

Marc</div></div> that sounds just like Arnie. HAHA