• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Spearfishing anyone ??

continentaldrifter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2004
Colorado
I am interested and have an opportunity to do some spearfishing for a month and have a few questions.

Pneumatic or Band? whats the difference or preference?

I was also looking to purchase a travel polespear that breaks down in three sections and was wondering besides using it in the traditional underwater style, can it also be used from the riverside above water?

Re: Spearfishing anyone ??

I use a polespear exclusively, cheaper and a little more challenging than a speargun. I've never used it out of water and dont think I'd want to, that pole will slap back and smoke you like none other. We have our own seperate spears for "dry" fishing.

Glad youre getting into it though! Its definately a challenge and a big mindgame if you dont go the SCUBA route.

I would see about renting a gun before I spent the dime on one. The polespear option is a good one, and you can use it just about anywhere. I don't have any experience with the airguns, but I have been spearfishing for a few years now. I have a 48" band gun, and it is good for me. What type of water are you going to be in? You don't want to use a big gun like the 48" or 52" if you are going to be around rocks and structure. What type of fish are you going after?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: continentaldrifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested and have an opportunity to do some spearfishing for a month and have a few questions.

Pneumatic or Band? whats the difference or preference?

I was also looking to purchase a travel polespear that breaks down in three sections and was wondering besides using it in the traditional underwater style, can it also be used from the riverside above water?

</div></div>

I've done a lot of SCUBA diving mainly for hunting and gathering.The Hawaiian Sling (Pole Spear),is all I use.A 6'spear with a Paralizer Tip (three Prong Tip)will take any fish you want,plus,if you get into a smaller school of rockfish,much faster to "reload".

You don't say where you are diving or for what species ? Makes it hard for anyone to give you anything but general advice.
confused.gif

I have spent months at a time diving of the Baha peninsula, in Mexico. I also dove central America a bit. Panama was the best place, by far.

First of all, the clearer the water, the more reach you need for most fish. Many reef fish you can get by with a relatively short spear gun.

One of the best eating fish out there is the Scorpion fish. They are scavengers, and taste very similar to crab and lobster. Pole spear works great for these.

Rob Allen are the best all around spearguns made. 90cm is a good medium size, and is not hard to load. The bands the guns come with are very stiff, I would buy some softer bands to make loading easier. These guns have a track that the spear rides in, and are very accurate. Go to FloridaFreedivers.com for more info.

The semi-pneumatic are very accurate, but lose their power as you descend into deeper water. The two I had were very reliable, but eventually need to be pumped up. So on a long trip, bring the pump.

Freediving for your food 3x a day is loads of fun. Usually I dove 5 hours a day, it is a great way to exercise. Having excellent fins is possibly as important as the speargun. Do some research, the answers are out there.

-Steve

When I was in they Navy I scuba dived at night right behind my baricks room in Porto Rico. I was on Rossey Roads Seabee camp. I did pretty good then I got in with seal team 7 . I welded shit they broke ALOT! Their water was off limits to everyone. They had the boats sank for practice I guess of underwater bombs
And such. Seal cheif gave me his light to use bright as shit. I think cause he could see pretty easy where I was.... But I used a hand spear at first , then a
Single band 18" spear. Tie my laundry bag to my pants and be out most of
The night... Made me feel better over there knowing I was probably being
Watched... But shit I would get 1/2 doz spiney lobster a night... I got lobster
buddy's bought beer... Miss those days!