• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Specific Annealing Question -- Can you "over-anneal"

jmptx

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2012
Texas
I am purchasing a Bench Source machine, and just reading through the setup instructions and had a question for all you annealers out there.

The scenario I am imagining goes something like this:

1) Trying to set up the machine to so ~650 - ~700 degree at the shoulder is achieved
2) Use 650 deg Tempilaq at the shoulder and 400 at the base as described in the manual to verify #1 is within params.
3) First pass through the machine, I don't have the case in the flame long enough, and never get to 650 as I hoped
4) After several cases I finally get my timing down
5) Now I have some brass that was not done "enough"

The question is:

Is it ok to let the brass cool back down and run through again to get it right? Is there any drawback to this (or advantage).

The meta-question is basically, as long as you don't overheat your case can you hurt the brass by re-heating.

jmptx,

Run it through again. I have not had any problems running cases a second time if I didn't like the original results.

HTH,
DocB

Cool. I sort of figured this might be the case.

I suspect getting into annealing brass is a lot like when one first starts reloading: lots of questions.

I am with DocB here. As long as you don't over heat the case it will be fine.
I usually have some old brass around to use for set up on mine, especially if I am changing calibers.

Well, that is what I ended up doing. I think my brass came out nicely. I had some issues really understanding the tempilaq stuff. Even inside the case neck it would burn off at the very end. I am using the 650, so I think I have a margin of error that is ok. The 400 deg stuff never got close to the case head on my 308s so I don't think I got anything too hot, or for too long

Is the burn off of the tempilaq normal? I also noticed that the 650 I put on the outside burned off a bit, but just under the shoulder it was clear, so I am guessing that while the part the turned black was over 650, I got the should and may 1cm down to pretty much 650.

Anything I might need to worry about or tweak?

If it was me i would shoot them and anneal them next time . I anneal every other load . I also use a BITE test .Yes i bite the brass with those sharp corner teeth .Just bite down a little bit on a factory case and an annealed case . You will also notice a difference in sizing the brass .

I don't ever think you can under anneal brass any heat has to be better than over annealing . Your just trying to keep it from work hardening . Hope this helps