• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Specs on NV? I know it's not the end all be all, but.......

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Newbie question on general idea via specs, what's important? I need to spend more time on the topic searching and such, but I'm just tickled the 8 week wait is over and I got more toys in hand.

My PVS30 has a 1696 FOM. Other knowledgeable NV guys were pretty impressed with it. Haven't received the paperwork on it from a buddy. I'm tickled with it to no end, but it's only the 3rd or 4th NV Clip on I've used and by far the best unit. Paired it up with a MAWL C1 on a precision rifle and well, that shit is fun.

Just received a PVS14 (and accessories) from TNVC. Bump Helmet, Mount, Surefire Helmet Light IR, Wilcox L4 G11, and a few misc items.
    Checking out the spec sheet and just looking for a general idea of what I have.
    Unit is PVS-14 w L3 OMNI VIII, filmed, gated power. (green)
    Photocathode Sen 2856K, Min 1800, Actual 2333.
    Signal to Noise 28
    Center resolution 64
    Hight Light Resolution 36
    Spot size Zone 1 L0/0, Zone 2 L1/0, Zone 3 L1&2/0. 0 on bright spots.

This is shit drains the checkbook, hooked. Heading out in a bit to give it a go.

Main units: PVS14, PVS30, REAP IR, MAWL C1+.
    What else will I be dropping coin on?

Edit, gotta hats off to TNVC, They took care of a couple small details and I couldn't be happier.

Is the pvs-30 one of the refurbs or a new $10g unit.
    Do the refurbs have standard film tubes or thin film pinnacle tubes. I haven’t messed with one is why I ask.

Any gen 3 is good in my book as long as it doesn’t have black spots in it. Can’t stand that shit. If I’m dropping thousands of dollars it better have none. But if somebody wanted to give me one I could definitely live with it happily!

I don’t miss the halos and glare outs from distant lights with the standard film tubes. I’ve really come to like a pinnacle tube for that reason. It seems to handle those issues somewhat better.

I think one might notice a difference between different makes/models of tubes i.e standard film, thin film, filmless; but would be hard pressed to notice much between two identical units with only a difference in FOM ratings.

I’d say L3 filmless white phosphor. The higher spec 72 lp/mm tube(s).

I’ve been a pinnacle green phosphor guy for years and just recently jumped into higher spec L3 filmless white phosphor (2440 FOM).

It’s performance is much better than any of the green tubes I’ve had. So much so I sold off my green -14’s and literally just bought a 2nd one for dual mounted filmless WP -14’s. This 2nd one has an even higher FOM. With a 3x magnifier behind a red dot it’s just wow. One of these in a weapon sight or clip on would be amazing.

If you’re looking to burn cash on the next toy you might want to consider it. Head or weapon mounted. You got thermal covered with the Reap.

Image taken with iPhone and TNVC phone adapter. PVS14 specs mentioned above. Will be adding a WP unit soon.

Is the pvs-30 one of the refurbs or a new $10g unit.
    Do the refurbs have standard film tubes or thin film pinnacle tubes. I haven’t messed with one is why I ask.

Any gen 3 is good in my book as long as it doesn’t have black spots in it. Can’t stand that shit. If I’m dropping thousands of dollars it better have none. But if somebody wanted to give me one I could definitely live with it happily!

I don’t miss the halos and glare outs from distant lights with the standard film tubes. I’ve really come to like a pinnacle tube for that reason. It seems to handle those issues somewhat better.

I think one might notice a difference between different makes/models of tubes i.e standard film, thin film, filmless; but would be hard pressed to notice much between two identical units with only a difference in FOM ratings.

I didn't ask that when I called, but I do know they have a "special" tube made by Harris specifically for the PVS30. Fact.

The new ones are WP and come in FDE IIRC and are closer to $12k.

As for black spots, wasn't there a guy on here with that problem? There was, but I can't recall if it was 14's or a 30. Now the 30 I have has about the same FOM as the poster and it's shit hot --couldn't be any clearer, no spots, it's great. I use a PEQ2 so it works great at distance too.

GUNNER, your FOM for the PVS14 will be 1792. And yeah, it is expensive. But SO much cooler than flashlights!

I forget what mine cost, I ordered an OMNI7 ITT thin film hand select model some years back. From TNVC. Yeah, they take care of 'ya. My go-to for sure. They've gone above and beyond for me in the past.